Rega

Paullongcase

Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The bc1 has wonderful midrange and vocals , the 606 has excellent bass and goes very loud.
no one speaker seems to have it all !

Pet27

New Wammer
Mar 16, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's a few speakers I'd like to hear in my system, the new Wharfedale Lintons are one of them as they seem to get great reviews and apparently do bass & mid very well, with a smooth tweeter. My RX5's are keepers for the time being, as they do a most things very well with my Rega gear. Never say never though !

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Discovered a bit of hum from the TT, only noticeable when nothing playing and volume up higher than normal, experimented moving cables, boxes etc but can’t eliminate it, it increases volume if I place a finger near the arm cables on the rear of the cart?
Sure I have read of a fix with different/better earthing of the TT against Rega’s own method via the left channel rca but lost that, any suggestions?
Also visitor noticed the mid/bass speaker cones move considerable more when playing vinyl v cd at the same volume, same again, sure I read about this but can’t find it, is this normal/acceptable?
Thanks for your patience, idle whilst listening and the rain drops from the sky, TIA.

walriley

Wammer
New Wammer
Mar 15, 2009
St Helens
AKA
Wal Riley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
always had Rega gear of one sort or another in my system. Had one turntable, three cd players, two sets of speakers and a DAC-R. The DAC is the latest and last, which I have had for about 7 years and have no plans to change. It’s a belting little DAC.

Reactions: freefallrob

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
My latest Rega Squeeze:

Rega R9 - Close Up by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

I still fancy another Mk1 Rega Planet :love:

Well, after I sold my last pair around 4-5 years ago, I have finally found another pair of R9s!
This time, the later version (going by Serial Numbers) with the square side woofer grille. I do prefer the original with the oval but these come us so rarely for sale I could not be fussy!

Old Pair

Rega R9 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Thowback when I had a full Rega System (P9, Apollo, Mira and then later Cursa3/Maia3).

Rega System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

New Pair (with my current P7 lurking above)

Rega & Yamaha by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

nak

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm have a Saturn r cd player that I'm very happy with but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried using an external dac with one?

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I borrowed a trichord when I had mine and me personally couldn't hear any difference but we are all different

Reactions: nak

freefallrob

Mazda RX-8 & Subaru fan.
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Swanwick
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm have a Saturn r cd player that I'm very happy with but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried using an external dac with one?
I have an older Apollo and the REGA DAC (half width case) made a large improvement to my ears. Probably not useful info really, but there you go 👍

Reactions: nak

Drummerman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2018
Not a Naia unfortunately but a humble (later) P3 to which I made some changes. Now I will stay away from describing any differences in sound quality due to these, it can create unreasonable animosity in forums ;), but it was fun and everything is easily reversible to original. It will eventually be sold in original form as this is how most want a deck to be. - Aftermarket add-ons rarely make their money back as part of a Turntable package and I can understand this. Me, I did it mostly for aesthetic reasons and am more than happy with the result!

The P3 started as a second hand buy, mostly because my partner was fascinated with vinyl from the day we visited the Bristol Show. I had a lot of vinyl and a nice Thorens deck, all of which I sold many years ago. I've since streamed only and had no regrets!

It was a bargain buy and in good, looked after condition already but a little plastic polish and machinery made it and the lid look like brand new.

Back on track. The first thing I've ordered was a Michell Engineering counterweight. I just didn't like the factory round one. I was very happy with the result and the Michell item is of great quality. With it I also got some synthetic bearing oil from the same company.

I then ordered one of Rega's new 'Reference' EBLT belts, a new original Rega S/S bearing ball, a new Rega felt mat and a FidelityDesign Ltd machined 'Reference' sub-platter.

I then thought, ahem ... lets really push the boat out ... and get a ceramic ball bearing (for no other reason than it reads nice) :). Said ceramic balls arrived, all ten of them, for the same cost as if you buy one from one of the eBay Hifi vendors ... . (I have now enough ceramic balls to last until the next ice age). Can I just say, there is absolutely no need for ceramic balls in a normal Turntable bearing, especially not if the interface is not ceramic either and especially not if the platter is as light as Rega's. The stresses are just not there and no benefits are gained.

Finally, I ordered some Iceni Rega Feet. Nicely machined with rubber rings for decoupling. I replaced these rings with sorbothane discs.

The cost of all this was around £230. - My other half pays £110 for a hair cut/colouring ...

Back to the Fidelity design sub-platter; nicely machined with good tolerances. At only £65 for a piece of UK precision engineering very fairly priced. However, I thought the spindle could do with an ultra fine polish and so I did (I then proceeded to give the whole thing a polish).

I fitted the feet, removed the old bearing ball (which seemed perfectly ok and could easily have been re-used) with a drinking straw, cleaned the bearing housing with Isoprop Alcohol and cotton buds then refilled the well with Michell's oil and added a ceramic ball. The sub-platter slowly glided down, I added four shallow silicon domes, I fitted the belt, put the platter on and voila.

Is it all worth it? Again, leaving sound aside, it imho makes the deck look more precision engineered without taking the sleek Rega look away unlike changes which replace the 'floating' platter with Project like plastic platters. - It will NOT suddenly be a P6. That one has a heavier platter and lighter sandwich plint. However, the P6 does not have the lovely Michell counterweight or the quality sub platter (the P6 has a plastic sub platter covered by a thin metal skin. Nor does it have the quality feet. It also costs a lot more. It does have a NEO PSU included which would have to be bought seperately for the P3.

Do your figures and pays your money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig_

culturecrammer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2010
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tried it with the excellent Denafrips Ares 2. There was a gnat’s leg between them, slightly different presentation but if anything I think I prefer the Saturn R’s built in DAC in my system. The Saturn R is quite a special little CDP. I think you’d have to get quite spendy to seriously better it, either as a CD player or a DAC.

Reactions: nak and Mcribbons

culturecrammer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2010
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m having a second fling with Rega. My first serious system 15 years ago was all Rega - P3, Brio, RS3 speakers, and Apollo CDP. Then upgraded to Elicit amp and Saturn. My dream speakers, Shahinian Obelisk mk2, which I am now fortunate enough to own, were first heard on the end of a Rega Isis and Osiris combo, whIch was something akin to a religious experience at the time!

In time I moved on to other gear. Many years have passed and I’ve just come back to the Rega fold somewhat after picking up a Rega Saturn R and am blown away by what an improvement it is on the earlier Saturn, which I loved. Most of all though it is that boogie factor, the ‘musical’ quality that Rega seem to bring to their gear that just makes music come alive. Their brand strap line could be, ‘It sounds like music, not hi-fi.’

This applies also to the little Rega Fono MM phono stage I got as a stopgap a few weeks back after changing my amp. I can’t believe how good it sounds for £200. I just home demoed three other phono stages costing many multiples more and I’m surprised to say I’ve kept the Rega.
What can I say? Roy Gandy is the man. 😁👍

nak

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tried it with the excellent Denafrips Ares 2. There was a gnat’s leg between them, slightly different presentation but if anything I think I prefer the Saturn R’s built in DAC in my system. The Saturn R is quite a special little CDP. I think you’d have to get quite spendy to seriously better it, either as a CD player or a DAC.
Excellent insight, thank you 👍🏻

Reactions: culturecrammer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles