Question Recommendations for a Turntable and phono stage.

A question.

wezzywest

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 2, 2015
Hi, i am looking for recommendations for a turntable and phono stage for use with an MC Cartridge, my budget is £2 to £2.5k or just over at a push. My system at the moment is; REGA Osiris Amp, Rega ISIS CD and Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers.
Cheers..

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is something 'right' how the 834P sounds, no wonder you have not wanted to change. (y)
It does sound good, but it is a shame it is so mechanically unreliable. I've had to keep an adjustable spanner near it for when the nuts on the rear sockets need tightening up: when one works loose, that channel drops out. Anyone would think there was a British parallel twin engine inside!

Reactions: Tarzan

zym

Wammer
Dec 5, 2022
AKA
Not at Home
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm surprised no one has suggested a Technics deck. The SL 1210GR comes into your price range, built like a tank and just works, year after year. A phono amp from Graham Slee can be tried on a loan scheme to check out which you like to match any cartridge you choose. Contrary to some views, I found the choice of phono amp made a huge difference. I had a high end Project phono stage connected to a SL1200GR and moving to a Graham Slee Accession was like removing another veil over the sound stage. Remarkable.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My advice would be an idler from a respected Wammer whose condition can be vouched for - one example being my old Garrard 401 that was featured in Spider's second system at his recent bake off (not that he's selling..). A TD124 with something done about the fast start broadcast platter,( such as placing it in a drawer far away from any record), would be another candidate. The motors can get bunged up and one that's been stripped and lubricated is a good idea.

For ease of use, sound quality and perceived value, a nice Technics SP10 is hard to beat in the right plinth.

I have used, or do use, all three. They are all well within budget.
For the phono stage I would use a Denon head amp (or Disarmament's DIY head amp or SUT mentioned in another wanted ad) with a valve phono stage. There are a number to choose from. Or a rated SS phono stage such as a Graham Slee with a MC option. Bigbottles are MC compatible and are liked by some South Coast types down here.

Jack NSM

freefallrob

Mazda RX-8 & Subaru fan.
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Swanwick
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well as much as I love records and turntables and things I think if I was in your situation with no vinyl I seriously wouldn’t bother getting in to it.
If you don’t want anymore CDs, buy a nice streamer.

purpleaardvark

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2009
Esher, , United King
AKA
Raj
Oh I forgot the turntable that i regret letting go a Well Tempered Amadeus its got a kooky golf ball arm arrangement but such a great sound, very simple to set up and I think second hand it might be possible to buy within your budget

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles