Putting your Music library on 'Shuffle'

MusicMan76

Just do what you know to be right!
Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I often times find myself going to Roon and sorting my albums by 'Most Played' and going to the same 20/30 albums....which get's somewhat boring. So I then sort by date added and find crap, more crap and even more crap....ore more accurately 'Not in the mood for that....or that....or that...I want chill, not thrash!

However I've recently started using Genres to select what I'm in the mood for and then putting those albums on Shuffle....Wow.....finding way way more artists I'd forgotten about.....

What are the experiences of others?

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I play albums mostly, never do shuffle or playlists. I play 100s of different albums each year, not just 20-30. Rarely play anything more than a few times a year. About 50% of my music is new to me.

Reactions: Ady and MusicMan76

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What are the experiences of others?
Always listen on shuffle. Usually the whole library but sometimes just select a dozen albums, maybe new additions or old favourites, or often a mixture of both.
On a similar note I have recently discovered the "normalise volume" option on MusicBee player - This has been an absolute godsend as at last I don't have to keep adjusting the volume on every other track. I rarely listen to whole albums, love hitting the random button and see what pops up next, you get to hear tracks you had long forgotten or sometimes didn't even know you had :)

• Love
Reactions: DomT and MusicMan76

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I only really shuffle music when I play it in the car. It is a good way to hear older stuff I've forgotten about, and then often when I get home I'll stick a full album on from am artist I've listened to.

Only one other circumstance, I don't subscribe to a streaming service but I have ripped my CDs so I can play them from a NAS if I'm working or cooking etc, and don't want to or can't change a CD every 40 - 70 mins. One thing I have done is to think of a theme (a bit like our 12-song album thread) and then set up a smart playlist based around that word or a related group of words. Colours, for example, or days and months. Then I'll stick that on shuffle. Interesting to see what comes up there

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't shuffle my library. I listen to albums.

I have way too many sources for music discovery. Music discovery is overrarted.
People should find some artists they like and stick to them for a while.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
LMS has a plug in called dynamic play lists . Within it you have lots choice under songs you can shuffle never played , least played , most played and lots more . There are also much the same for artists , genre , album etc so you can hit what you want and get a very nuanced mixture .

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shuffling playlists & an artists albums is like listening to the v.best radio station. Usually ends up with me finding some inspiration to shoot off down a rabbit hole. Will play particular albums in the evening.
Tend to listen to music all day & it plays when I'm out, so when I get back home I am greeted by music.
Is this mad ?
Nah :)

• Haha
Reactions: bigrod and MVJ

chris_bates1974

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2016
Near Lutterworth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use the "Daily Mix"es on Spotify almost every day. I find they do a good job of giving me what I am used to, and adding in new tracks. My mate and I also share a "Holy Crap - Listen To This" playlist, that we each add and remove tracks to/from, There's so much great music!!!!

Reactions: garn63

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shuffling playlists & an artists albums is like listening to the v.best radio station. Usually ends up with me finding some inspiration to shoot off down a rabbit hole. Will play particular albums in the evening.
Tend to listen to music all day & it plays when I'm out, so when I get back home I am greeted by music.
Is this mad ?
Nah :)
Yep🤪

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I never shuffle my music but I have played playlists on Spotify if I'm doing something. I mainly stream new to me music not any I have hard copies of
So I play them Instead.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I shuffle an artist or label on my Innuos. At the moment I like Tropical Twista Records (Brazilian electronic/ethnic music), about 300 songs in total.

• Thanks

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use shuffle all the time in the cars or holiday listening, usually by songs, it means I hear much more stuff I like due to the capacities of the hardware (A&K electronics) bit like listening to the radio except there’s no stuff I wouldn’t listen to being played.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Always listen on shuffle. Usually the whole library but sometimes just select a dozen albums, maybe new additions or old favourites, or often a mixture of both.
On a similar note I have recently discovered the "normalise volume" option on MusicBee player - This has been an absolute godsend as at last I don't have to keep adjusting the volume on every other track. I rarely listen to whole albums, love hitting the random button and see what pops up next, you get to hear tracks you had long forgotten or sometimes didn't even know you had :)
The very variable volume of albums on QoBuz is the main reason I don’t do shuffle. I will read up in MusicBee but think that I will continue to use Innuos Sense.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Having Roon radio enabled has lead to many a new music discovery after the initial album has ended.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use my old phone as a DAP and have a few hundred albums downloaded through youtube music for when I'm travelling. Last night, as I do when I have trouble sleeping, plugged it in to the Mojo and the IE300 and put it on shuffle. I hope it helps relax me to sleep but it's amazing how often you hear a really good track and can't remember where it came from or the last time you listened to it. So off I go looking stuff up, so it doesn't relax me at all. I enjoy it though.

Reactions: bencat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles