Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have now had the Puritan PS106-DC in the system for around a week. At first I just had the Hifi Rose and Aqua La Scala plugged in having also changed the generic cables to Puritan Classics. As first reported there is a nice sonic improvement. Definitely a wider and slightly deeper soundstage. More definition to instruments.

Mid week last week, I decided to plug the Luxman L550 into the new mains block (again with a Puritan Classic) and only had music on in the background and so not much attention was paid. Last night I sat down to enjoy a couple of hours of music. Frustratingly, I really couldn’t enjoy anything through the system. It just sounded a little anaemic, uninvolving and flat. Was this the Puritan burning in or the new mains cable? I went to bed quite frustrated to be honest.

I was thinking about the sudden change I heard and thought the best thing to do was reverse the last change I made and unplugged the Luxman from the PS106. I replugged the amp (with a cheap throw away lead) back into the wall.

Switched back on and the system sounded wonderful again. Very odd. Clearly the Luxman did not like the filtering of the Puritan. When I had the Sugden A21 it didn’t like fancy mains cables or being plugged into a strip plug either. It needed plugging straight into the wall to perform at its best. Maybe it’s a Class A thing?

So, cut to this evening and some more experimenting just to have some context again to the performance of the Puritan against the basic Project mains block. Still using the Puritan cables I plugged streamer and DAC into the Project and lined up a couple of tracks awaiting disappointment.

And there it was – the narrowing of the soundstage, slightly less definition to instruments, plucked strings didn’t quite have the same attack and decay. But, did the system sound just a smidgen more intimate? A touch warmer. Friendlier? It did. And the sound was still wonderful.

I think I could potentially live with either presentation. They are very similar but it’s very difficult to hang my hat on either and say one was definitely “better”. I can see why someone would absolutely prefer music with the Puritan in the chain where it brings a wonderfully expansive sound. I just need to decide for myself now which I prefer.

Thankfully, I am still well within the 30 days return Policy on eBay so could, if it came to it, send it back.

Sorry for the ramble – hope these musings were of use to someone.
Totally agree regarding Class A. Similar findings in the past with Sugden. A decent solidly made mains block or straight into the wall with a decent well made mains cable is best. Taking nothing away from Puritan, they do make a sonic difference on other components and more so with class A/B designs. I did try one on the Primare amp I had on loan (Class D) and not so good.
Other people may add to this but that was my findings.
Once my Exposure kit is complete, I’ll run the mono’s on the Puritans and report back.
I cannot comment on the Puritan mains block however.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
We always plug amplifiers into a wall socket. This has been the advice going back 20+ years when owning Audio Research, and the manufacturer of our present Audionet recommends not using any mains conditioning. We are still very happy with our Puritan 156 though.

Reactions: mj446 and HouseElf

terrycym

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2011
North Hampshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too found the PS106 totally underwhelming during my dem. I did find that going up in the range and ending at the PS156 that improvements were most apparent and having the amp plugged into the PS156 was quite a bit improvement over direct into the wall.

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My hifi dealer recommended plugging amps direct to the mains, some conditioners can strangle them when they need to draw max current, I noticed a difference on some ‘energetic’ tracks I tried.

MusicMan76

Just do what you know to be right!
Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We always plug amplifiers into a wall socket. This has been the advice going back 20+ years when owning Audio Research, and the manufacturer of our present Audionet recommends not using any mains conditioning. We are still very happy with our Puritan 156 though.
I find this surprising as many in the UK get some amount of DC leakage via mains, I certainly do. This can cause the coils on the transformer to vibrate, which is audible from my seating position. I can't imagine this will allow my amp to perform at it's best. The Puritan removes all the DC and I get a huge lift in dynamics. I have had other DC power conditioners where I could not say the same.

Reactions: Blodger

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It depends on the mains block/filter and the amplifier. Far more importantly, it depends on exactly what (if any) issue there is on the mains that needs to be fixed.

Just sticking a total filter/conditioner in line can well have an adverse effect on some amplifiers, because it will inevitably increase the supply impedance.

Every situation is likely to be different.

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
just back fron my Puritan audition. Improvemenuts as I progressed up the range was easy to hear.
Ended up with the PM156 and Ultimate mains lead, SE variants in Schuko
I'm amazed that no one has commented on your (im assuming) typo of 'improvemenuts' or am I the only immature one here...🤔
I have a 156 and for me it was well worth the cost.

Lancslinn

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
Lancashire UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a similar experience with my Linn set up: LP12, Akurate DS, Majik Kontrol, 2xMajik 4100. Very disappointed I returned the Puritan mains leads. When we redecorated our lounge, I got the electrician to put in a dedicated mains ring for the hifi and tv. The difference was noticeable on the hifi: wider soundstage , more detail, more involving sound. Probably what some would call a lower noise floor. The TV picture was crisper, sharper and the sound improved as well. My view is the most cost effective upgrade you can make is a dedicated ring main. Cost me about £350 for Labour, wire and 14 sockets.

Reactions: Nopiano and philb36

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a similar experience with my Linn set up: LP12, Akurate DS, Majik Kontrol, 2xMajik 4100. Very disappointed I returned the Puritan mains leads. When we redecorated our lounge, I got the electrician to put in a dedicated mains ring for the hifi and tv. The difference was noticeable on the hifi: wider soundstage , more detail, more involving sound. Probably what some would call a lower noise floor. The TV picture was crisper, sharper and the sound improved as well. My view is the most cost effective upgrade you can make is a dedicated ring main. Cost me about £350 for Labour, wire and 14 sockets.
It’s interesting that Linn are one of the few brands that seem to be best on regular leads.

Even flat-earth rivals Naim sell two grades of foo mains. My Akurate has the bog-standard mains wire, whereas I use Puritan, Lapp or Chord on other bits.

Blodger

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2011
Liverpool
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Following up on my initial post on the Ground Master, I've now had time to listen to my system for some time with it installed. As with my previous comment, I do think it improves the overall sound quality - it may be that as a city-dweller in a terraced house there's a lot more mains pollution than experienced in many systems, and undoubtedly there are other variables (including my hearing). I could just say that it sounds "better" with it connected than not, and it is a bit difficult to analyse and to offer a terminology beyond that - but it seems that the noise floor is lower or effectively non-existent: silences really are silences, music of any kind comes from a black background. Soundstage and separation seem enhanced, bass tighter - OK a lot of hifi cliches, generally a bit more resolution, immediacy and improved dynamics perhaps - these all very subtle and minimal, but nonetheless noticeable. I've done blind A/B tests and they convinced me that there is a real difference, and that I'll be keeping the unit. At £185 it seems for me anyway a bit of a no-brainer.
I still use the 156 mains purifier/conditioner, and this has been one of the best enhancements - overall improvement as in many of the posts and reviews above (unlike other power conditioners I've tried and dispensed with over the years) and it killed off dead the intermittent DC hum I'd been getting on most amplifiers I've used.

Links to a couple of reviews:

https://theaudiophileman.com/ground-master-puritan-review/

https://v2.stereotimes.com/post/pur...r-city-and-routemaster-system-by-terry-london

https://www.hifichoice.com/content/puritan-ground-master

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Following up on my initial post on the Ground Master, I've now had time to listen to my system for some time with it installed. As with my previous comment, I do think it improves the overall sound quality - it may be that as a city-dweller in a terraced house there's a lot more mains pollution than experienced in many systems, and undoubtedly there are other variables (including my hearing). I could just say that it sounds "better" with it connected than not, and it is a bit difficult to analyse and to offer a terminology beyond that - but it seems that the noise floor is lower or effectively non-existent: silences really are silences, music of any kind comes from a black background. Soundstage and separation seem enhanced, bass tighter - OK a lot of hifi cliches, generally a bit more resolution, immediacy and improved dynamics perhaps - these all very subtle and minimal, but nonetheless noticeable. I've done blind A/B tests and they convinced me that there is a real difference, and that I'll be keeping the unit. At £185 it seems for me anyway a bit of a no-brainer.
I still use the 156 mains purifier/conditioner, and this has been one of the best enhancements - overall improvement as in many of the posts and reviews above (unlike other power conditioners I've tried and dispensed with over the years) and it killed off dead the intermittent DC hum I'd been getting on most amplifiers I've used.

https://v2.stereotimes.com/post/pur...r-city-and-routemaster-system-by-terry-london

Great write up Sir. Glad the Ground Master continues to impress.

MusicMan76

Just do what you know to be right!
Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Coincidentally, I watched that last night. Currently in the market for a used/ex-dem PSM156 having purchased a used Groundmaster City which gave a cracking uplift in performance for the small outlay.
I hope you find one mate, because after I installed mine, the lift was very noticeable, which indicates to me, that if you do have issues e.g. DC ingest, then it does hold back performance in at least the Amp...and probably DAC given the findings in the video!

tubeboy

New Wammer
Sep 29, 2016

My TT suffers from a small hum (not present in system when TT is unplugged and not objectionable when listening) and the arm is grounded to the phono and a Groundmaster City. Please excuse my ignorance, but is this a candidate for a PSM product? The addition of the GMC worked wonders for micro details, separation of instruments and I'm pretty keen on the idea of setting my scepticism to one side for a thorough exploration of what a PSM can do with my rig.

Blodger

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2011
Liverpool
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My TT suffers from a small hum (not present in system when TT is unplugged and not objectionable when listening) and the arm is grounded to the phono and a Groundmaster City. Please excuse my ignorance, but is this a candidate for a PSM product? The addition of the GMC worked wonders for micro details, separation of instruments and I'm pretty keen on the idea of setting my scepticism to one side for a thorough exploration of what a PSM can do with my rig.
I'm not using a turntable, so others may more able to comment. It might be worth trying a PSM on sale-or-return basis though - that should provide an answer one way or the other.

Reactions: tubeboy

tubeboy

New Wammer
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not using a turntable, so others may more able to comment. It might be worth trying a PSM on sale-or-return basis though - that should provide an answer one way or the other.
Excerpt from Paul Rigby 8/10 review which confirms the positive effect on analogue kit (phono stage and pre):

All kinds of changes occurred when the Puritan entered the frame, the drums emerged from a silent background giving the complex rhythmic drumming a distinct and penetrating effect with oodles of character and oragnic resonance.

Speaking of which, Gray’s voice, such a grainy instrument on its own, benefitted with a reduction of noise, giving his delivery more air and space to manoeuvre. The grains in his voice were almost seperated. You could hear into his voice. That is, the tiny intonations as he sang each word held more information and clarity.

There was also more air and space between the synth and piano, allowing each more elbow room to provide a greater tonal accuracy as the smoother midrange performance provided more ease and flow.

I then attached the supplied power cables to the phono amplifier and pre-amplifier and back to the Puritan. The result was a further reduction in noise and a richer, more mature sound. Sonic strident spots were calmed, clarity was infused into the soundstage while further noise reductions allowed the subtle aspects of the music to be brought forth. Once the gamut of tiny details were visible to the ear, the song itself provided a fuller and busier experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online