Sep 21, 2019
Wiltshire
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been temped by a Primare. A couple of questions

1. How stable is the Prisma App

2. How good at seeing a NAS with eg minimserver installed is the app and therefore the prisma amp

3. Is Tidal only available via chromecast or is it via Tidal connect now?

Thanks
I have the I35 Prisma and love it. Since buying it in 2019 there have been a number of improvements to the Prisma app and firmware updates. I don’t now have any problems with the app for streaming Tidal by Chromecast or accessing my NAS. In the past It would occasionally lose connection requiring a 2 minute exercise to reconnect through Google Home. Tidal Connect is not yet available to Primare. The support to Primare owners is also first class both for servicing (Karma AV) and general support through Primare.net. 

Reactions: jamesrfisher

Sorreltiger

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 25, 2012
Backing up what Boris has said.  I have an i35 Prisma and a QNAP drive with Minimserver.  I have found the Prisma app to be pretty stable: I lose the connection very occasionally (perhaps once a month) but it pops up again immediately if you switch the amp off and on again.  I don't consider this any worse than most wi-fi apps and may be caused by a momentary glitch on my home network, rather than the app itself.

As a complete newby in terms of setting up a NAS drive/Minimserver, I thoroughly recommend Ripcaster https://ripcaster.co.uk/homepage, who pre-installed the software on the drive and were on the end of a phone when I had a set-up problem caused by my ignorance!

jamesrfisher

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 20, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you both for the input. i have managed to pick up an ex-dem 35i Prisma.  Arrived yesterday and slotted in. Very impressed with it, build quality, ease of use and of course the amazing sound.

I already have a NAS, Synology with minimserver loaded and been using it for a few years. Been playing around with the App and pretty intuitive but one issue is playing a queue of more than one album. No matter how i do it, it will only play one album. I'm used to setting a number of albums up one after the other without any problem. Have tried:

- already have an album playing then 'add to queue' but just plays the first album

- starting with 'queue - play now' then 'add to queue' but still plays the first album

- if I j=have an album playing then 'queue play next' it does play hte next album but stops at the end of that one.

Any ideas/suggestions  greatly received. I know there are some youtube vids from Primare and will look at those.

Two other issues

- i now need to save up for some new speakers to really get the benefit!

- it is pretty deep, much deeper than my previous amp, hadn't checked the depth dimension just width and height! May need to get a new rack (my current one is a tripod so no room at the back)!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Boris the Animal

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2019
Wiltshire
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t use the queue function so can’t help. I suggest dropping Primare a message through their website. They normally respond quickly and are very helpful.

jamesrfisher

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 20, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, i will do. i did look on the support page and in the FAQs under how to use queues there is a note they are aware of an issue with the Android App (i am using the iOS one) and are looking to resolve it, although that was 8 months ago.

Using Mconnect lite and it seems to work but have to add tracks to the queue individually, might need to see if can do that for albums in the full version. But that was 8 months ago

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesrfisher

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 20, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An update. Very good service. i emailed them on Sunday, response on Monday saying it should work and went throguht the steps via email.

was still an issue as they were talking about adding individual tracks to the queue but my concern was adding the album at once rather than a song at a time. went back to the at lunchtime and already had a response that i am right, they have the same issue now i explained it and so reporting it to the App team.

Boris the Animal

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2019
Wiltshire
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My new toy is the DD15 CD transport which replaced a Naim CD5i-2. Having ripped most of my CDs to FLAC and stored on a Synology NAS drive, I realised that the ripped versions playing through the i35’s DAC sounded better than the analogue output from the Naim. The Naim has no digital out. Now with the DD15 feeding digits to the i35’s DAC, CDs sound better than the ripped copies! Also in the picture is my R32 phono stage serving the Xtension 10 turntable. I’m probably just a change of speakers away from my end game system now (until something else comes calling!). 8F94EC6F-0038-46C4-A728-00E01F679767.jpeg

Beyond you

Tuesday Music Night’s Est:1978
Wammer Plus
Feb 4, 2013
Hants
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My new toy is the DD15 CD transport which replaced a Naim CD5i-2. Having ripped most of my CDs to FLAC and stored on a Synology NAS drive, I realised that the ripped versions playing through the i35’s DAC sounded better than the analogue output from the Naim. The Naim has no digital out. Now with the DD15 feeding digits to the i35’s DAC, CDs sound better than the ripped copies! Also in the picture is my R32 phono stage serving the Xtension 10 turntable. I’m probably just a change of speakers away from my end game system now (until something else comes calling!). 8F94EC6F-0038-46C4-A728-00E01F679767.jpeg
Very nice system! I also have the R32 phono stage one of the last fantastic sound and content not to upgrade to the R35. My CD22 is feed to a DAC 30 and I must admit cd’s sound fantastic. Maybe it’s because the CD22 gives me the option to upscale if I want too. I class myself a big Primare fan. Streaming I stuck with my Node 2 feed to my DAC30.

Reactions: Boris the Animal

Faxe

New Wammer
Dec 18, 2021
Bought my first Primare unit on thursday. The R35 phono pre. I'am really happy with it :)

p832609441-5.jpg

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've acquired a Primare A20 MK2 for £155 pending collection with very minor cosmetic damages.

What to expect? What sort of gear does this pair well with?

I've heard these tend warm, so will be looking to test them with some ProAc Sig Ref 8s or Tannoy Autograph Mini drivers.

Last edited:

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've acquired a Primare A20 MK2 for £155 pending collection with very minor cosmetic damages.

What to expect? What sort of gear does this pair well with?

I've heard these tend warm, so will be looking to test them with some ProAc Sig Ref 8s or Tannoy Autograph Mini drivers.
If this is yours https://primare.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/A20-user-manual.pdf
then with 70 wpc into 8 ohms it’ll do justice to most typical domestic speakers. Including the ones you list.
Let us know how you get on, and pictures are always welcome!

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well this has turned out to be a bit of a strange day. I picked up a demo unit of a Primare I15 Prisma with the intention of dropping it in to the Living Room to replace a myriad of kit used for TV, Blu-ray and casual listening through a Sonos Connect/DAC. Very impressed after a couple of hours though much prefer the Sonos App or indeed BluOS on my main system rather than the Prisma software.

Anyway just for a check I dropped it into my main system connecting via an optical to my Bluesound Node 2i and quickly attached my PMCs and off we go ….

Dear me, it’s terrific 😳

Over the last couple of years I’ve looked to replace the Pathos with Marantz, Luxman and a whole host of others and never really felt they were improvements. And here we have a 60 WPC Class D absolutely singing 😀

Beyond you

Tuesday Music Night’s Est:1978
Wammer Plus
Feb 4, 2013
Hants
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well this has turned out to be a bit of a strange day. I picked up a demo unit of a Primare I15 Prisma with the intention of dropping it in to the Living Room to replace a myriad of kit used for TV, Blu-ray and casual listening through a Sonos Connect/DAC. Very impressed after a couple of hours though much prefer the Sonos App or indeed BluOS on my main system rather than the Prisma software.

Anyway just for a check I dropped it into my main system connecting via an optical to my Bluesound Node 2i and quickly attached my PMCs and off we go ….

Dear me, it’s terrific 😳

Over the last couple of years I’ve looked to replace the Pathos with Marantz, Luxman and a whole host of others and never really felt they were improvements. And here we have a 60 WPC Class D absolutely singing 😀
You won’t regret investing in a Primare 👍👍

Reactions: Nopiano

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Dear me, it’s terrific 😳

And it’s a very discreet appearance too, isn’t it? So glad you like it. I still have my I32 and think it’s super.

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And it’s a very discreet appearance too, isn’t it? So glad you like it. I still have my I32 and think it’s super.

I loved it so the black demo unit went back …. and I bought a titanium one 😀

Made me think about Primare to replace the Pathos so I intend to demo an I25 or 35 for the main system when I have saved up a bit of cash. The I15 actually did very well with my PMCs but I’m keen enough to see what would happen further up the chain. It’s happily in the living room used for casual listening, TV and Netflix with a pair of Q Acoustics 3030i.

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I loved it so the black demo unit went back …. and I bought a titanium one 😀

Made me think about Primare to replace the Pathos so I intend to demo an I25 or 35 for the main system when I have saved up a bit of cash. The I15 actually did very well with my PMCs but I’m keen enough to see what would happen further up the chain. It’s happily in the living room used for casual listening, TV and Netflix with a pair of Q Acoustics 3030i

You won’t regret investing in a Primare 👍👍
I have been using various Primare amps and CD players for over 20 years and they have never missed a beat. Incredibly reliable kit and I love how they sound. I have always paired them with System Audio speakers of one kind or another. My current set up is Primare pre60/A60 combo driving System Audio Speakers. Enough said.

Boris the Animal

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2019
Wiltshire
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been using various Primare amps and CD players for over 20 years and they have never missed a beat. Incredibly reliable kit and I love how they sound. I have always paired them with System Audio speakers of one kind or another. My current set up is Primare pre60/A60 combo driving System Audio Speakers. Enough said.
It would be interesting to hear of any comparisons of the A60 with the cheaper but more recent A35.2. From my own experience from changing an i32 to the i35 the improved UFPD2 module is very worthwhile. In particular I suspect that a pair of A35.2 power amps would give the A60 serious competition in terms of sound quality. I wonder if Primare will bring out an updated version of the A60 with UFPD2? I suspect not.

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be interesting to hear of any comparisons of the A60 with the cheaper but more recent A35.2. From my own experience from changing an i32 to the i35 the improved UFPD2 module is very worthwhile. In particular I suspect that a pair of A35.2 power amps would give the A60 serious competition in terms of sound quality. I wonder if Primare will bring out an updated version of the A60 with UFPD2? I suspect not.
I am not sure who big a seller the Pre60/A60 units were, as I picked up mine new, 3 warranty for 33% of retail price, with an NP5 streamer thrown in, so a no brainer. Would love to hear a comparison with the A 35.2.

MFAV

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire
AKA
Rob
Anyone who is waiting for the Roon release on the Primare products all three of the integrated Prisma amplifiers are now there . The pre amplifier and streaming CD players are not far behind .

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an I32. You say that it was a worthwhile upgrade going to the i35. Could you expand on what the differences were and how the sound quality has improved? Nothing wrong with my i32 but you know what it's like.......is it worth replacing or is it just more of the same?

thanks,

Boycie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles