Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They do dynamics better than any imo.

It’s always a case of try before you buy. I think as I’ve said already, the Primare on different or slightly laid back speakers maybe a good match. I’m thinking the Reference Q Acoustics would thrive on this Amp.
Interesting, thanks. Not looking to change from my EAR valves, I was just curious.

Reactions: hiesteem

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
was chatting with a dealer today re the exposure monos which are reasonably light , dont need trigger inputs , have rca and xlr inputs and come in silver or black . whats not to like ? however cant quite get to like the speaker binding posts on exposure yet . and its a shame about the price rises imminent

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
was chatting with a dealer today re the exposure monos which are reasonably light , dont need trigger inputs , have rca and xlr inputs and come in silver or black . whats not to like ? however cant quite get to like the speaker binding posts on exposure yet . and its a shame about the price rises imminent
That’s why I got it quick! I’ve ordered the 5010 pre too because of the deadline. Not sure how I’m going to pay for it yet tho 😂

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Think in this case the price rise is justified Phil. They really are a lot of amp for the money ie pre and 2 power amps for the price of a good intergrated.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting, thanks. Not looking to change from my EAR valves, I was just curious.
When I decided to move away from valves 3 years ago, the essential requirement was that any ss amp had to sound as good or better than the valve SET monos I was then using. Amps of A, AB and D were tried at home with Avantgarde speakers and (much to my surprise) a Class D won out, despite others costing over double the price.

If you want to stick to valves for sentimental reasons (or to heat your room in winter) that's a valid reason for not trying Class D. If you are prepared to explore alternatives, I suggest you ask a dealer to lend you a first-class Class D amp - probably one using the Purifi Eigentakt technology, although best not a garage-built one using the Eval board. T&A and NAD are probably the best Class D amps and will match any other technology (including valves) at twice their price. Just try one.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't doubt that class D has become more subtle and involving, and these are some of the qualities class a/b Excell at.
I sat and listened to the new Naim classic range yesterday and was checking out it was Naim I was actually listening too. I found myself checking the back of the amp pre and power supply to make sure it was all Naim and not another mix of products.
There was subtle detail and separation of instruments underpinned with clean bass lines that I have never heard from Naim before.
Naim have completely retuned this series which got me thinking, why?
My first thought is it is now on top of its abilities. Perhaps they are aware of the qualities of class D and it's competition.
I don't really know why, but if like me you have dismissed Naim, this product is a game changer.

Last edited:

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't doubt that class D has become more subtle and involving, and these are some of the qualities class a/b Excell at.
I sat and listened to the new Naim classic range yesterday and was checking out it was Naim I was listening too. I found myself checking the back of the amp pre and power supply to make sure it was All Naim and not another mix of products.
There was subtle detail and separation of instruments underpinned with clean bass lines that I have never heard from Naim before.
Naim have completely retuned this series which got me thinking, why?
My first thought is it is now on top of its abilities. Perhaps they are aware of the qualities of class D and it's competition.
I don't really know why, but if like me you have dismissed Naim, this product is a game changer.
Naim is maybe notorious as having a ’sound’, which can be appealing or off-putting. It might sound glib to say they are perhaps learning to make to their amplifiers more neutral, as I haven’t heard these new ones. But perhaps that’s it?

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Naim is maybe notorious as having a ’sound’, which can be appealing or off-putting. It might sound glib to say they are perhaps learning to make to their amplifiers more neutral, as I haven’t heard these new ones. But perhaps that’s it?
Yes I agree about appealing or off putting. That seems to of been the case in days past. it could be said that this new classic series is more neutral, but there was to my tastes an involving and enjoyable sense of ease as the music is presented in a subtle detailed and refined way.
I have a brand that I favour for this type of presentation and in fact swopped out my Naim 250 decades ago for Restek electronics. It's for this reason I would suggest Naim have come full circle in a very welcome sense.

Reactions: Rockchild

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I decided to move away from valves 3 years ago, the essential requirement was that any ss amp had to sound as good or better than the valve SET monos I was then using. Amps of A, AB and D were tried at home with Avantgarde speakers and (much to my surprise) a Class D won out, despite others costing over double the price.

If you want to stick to valves for sentimental reasons (or to heat your room in winter) that's a valid reason for not trying Class D. If you are prepared to explore alternatives, I suggest you ask a dealer to lend you a first-class Class D amp - probably one using the Purifi Eigentakt technology, although best not a garage-built one using the Eval board. T&A and NAD are probably the best Class D amps and will match any other technology (including valves) at twice their price. Just try one.
Yes, I've read up on the Eigentakt a few times before and I'm pretty sure it was the Mola Mola that I heard sounding very impressive at a hifi show through some vivid audio Giya speakers. Definitely food for thought....

Last edited:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My conclusion of this thread is that there is no wrong or right amplifier but more care with system matching with Class D (my opinion)
Class A and A/B are more (generally) sympathetic to system matching although there have been some clangers along the way 😊

System matching or ‘synergy’ is much harder today with the huge choice available but if buying new, make sure you have a dealer that is happy to let you try before you buy. In the long run, it will be better for them and definitely better for you.

I hope this thread has helped anyone looking to change their amp or were toying with the idea of class D. Don’t rule out class D, it would be a mistake as there are extremely good designs out there, just get the speakers to suit 😊

….. in addition to this, there is no such thing as the perfect amplifier, different yes but we could have the same conclusion about cars, toasters or whatever. I suppose, this is why we always look to seek out something different.

Last edited:

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After i sold my msb class ab 200 watt to pay the bills , i used some little class d icepower which were not bad at all.i can recall being amazed they were warm sounding and absolutely delightful for the pennies they cost .

No where near as good as the msb but perfectly good for somewhile till things picked up again .hope to hear the latest class d from bel canto fairly soon but as john says its all down to synergy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles