Presenting the New Linn 360's

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still off topic: an old tube-based kitchen radio from the 50s has less information than most of the current Hi-Fi systems but can make much more fun. So I would prefer the kitchen radio.

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still off topic: an old tube-based kitchen radio from the 50s has less information than most of the current Hi-Fi systems but can make mich more fun. So I would prefer the kitchen radio.
There is certainly a lot of expectation bias that affects musical enjoyment. A kitchen radio can perform well above what one thinks it should, and a top spec Linn system at the Munich Audio Show can be seen to under perform if it doesn't absolutely blow you away.

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the only excuse so far presented that could possibly have any effect would be that the room was too bright, that is, too many hard reflecting surfaces. The RT60 may have needed taming. Space Optimisation could handle the bass. Other than that, I don't think there is any reason why the 360s couldn't perform in that room.

Here's one more excuse. The ambiance of the building was too loud. There was just too much noise in the background.
yes I remember when I was in munich last year pre-covid the ambiance was too loud and I also add listening fatigue. like when you smell too many perfumes

Reactions: akamatsu

loogiefi

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
London
AKA
Noil Porter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I called in Peter Tyson this week to have a second listen to the 360s. I wanted to hear them again because I’ve had some dead skin and wax taken off my ear drums making everything sound much better.

The 360s were exactly as I remembered them. I again thought they sounded fabulous. It was so easy to follow melodies.

However, I went home and had a prolonged listening session with my own system. It wasn’t disappointing after the 360s. In fact, I felt I preferred it.

It’s not something I can easily describe. Although the 360s were better in some respects, the Komri system just has a little bit of magic that enables me to get off on the music in a way that the 360s don’t.

I am keeping an open mind, but at this stage I wouldn’t rush to swap my Komri system for the integrated 360s. Maybe, I’d feel differently if I heard the 360 PWABs in my system.
I felt the same way when I heard the 360’s with a NGKDSM as a source. They sounded great but when I went home and listened to my Komris I thought how much better they would sound with the same quality source. My DS is Katalyst at the moment. There is something magical about Aktiv Komris that work.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Linn has spent a lot of energy to design the 360, I read on the linn site that there are many new technologies compared to previous linn speakers. even my dealer, who no longer sells linn, told me that they make the tweeter and midrange inside Glasgow factory (but I don't believe it, for obvious reasons).
Linn stated to us quite clearly at the 50th anniversary dealer event, where they introduced the 360 to us, that they do not make their own drivers. They do design work on them to get what they need, and the drivers are specific to Linn and can't be sold to anyone else, but they are made for Linn by existing driver manufacturers.

Reactions: Bianchennero

90sLinn

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
It would be interesting to note from a historical perspective, reactions to the Komris when they were first introduced 20 years ago. I seem to remember reading quite negative feedback from their early appearances at audio shows such as CES. It may be that Linn are good at designing a product but remain poor at presenting it to its best advantage. Just a thought!
But If you cannot make it perform at its best, how can you optimize it and in particular in a way potential customers (and especially Linn fans) feel it is a top Linn product?
Perhaps they have lost it.

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still off topic: an old tube-based kitchen radio from the 50s has less information than most of the current Hi-Fi systems but can make much more fun. So I would prefer the kitchen radio.

👍😉However for me the best way to enjoy music is surprise. For example when there's a piece on the radio that you like and you don't expect it.

Reactions: Ben Webster

anatius

Wammer
Oct 27, 2021
Your also right, because as far as reports from people who have heard them at the show and who have then posted their views on this forum its a complete wipe-out for the 360's. The link that was posted in one of the other replies above takes us to someone who has gone into 'print' so to speak and his view was almost completely the opposite - he loved them. That was the basis of my 'subjective' comment in this particular instance

As far as all of us being affected by preconceptions to some degree or other - well that's going to depend on the individual and how much introspection they are willing to subject themselves to ...... ;) (and)

p.s. I did not think that your comments were 'against' the 360's per se.
The person who went in to print to report favorably on the 360's performance also quoted the cost of the speakers as being 55,000.00 euros. Was he writing about the 360's?

GeraldS

Wammer
Oct 10, 2022
Nürnberg / Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
55000 euro is the net price of the PWAB version, you must add always the different taxes, for Germany +19% is 65450 Euro like in the price list. But this shows he has not really checked what he was hearing to.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think the only excuse so far presented that could possibly have any effect would be that the room was too bright, that is, too many hard reflecting surfaces. The RT60 may have needed taming. Space Optimisation could handle the bass. Other than that, I don't think there is any reason why the 360s couldn't perform in that room.

Here's one more excuse. The ambiance of the building was too loud. There was just too much noise in the background.
This ^^!! Often when I find an intriguing system at one of these shows I try to get the door closed so I can give them an honest listen. It's hard to control the folks coming in and out, and when you just start to get into a groove, all of a sudden the door opens and the karma is shattered.

At this year's Kaohsiung show the ATC room, maybe my favourite at that show, was located on the home theater floor. Next door was a floor to ceiling subwoofer array with massive explosions popping off every minute. It was so powerful it was also a problem for several rooms on the floor above it. I was entranced by the top of their range ATC transducers, but only when the maw of Hades was closed.

Kaohsiung was interesting as I went with a group that included a couple of twenty something females. They both scored the room fronted by an Organik Selekt Edition (monster Mac amps with Sonus Faber Cremonas) as best of show. I came away completely unimpressed with that system. I really feel the setup was lacking. Several years back I heard Klimax feeding Kat Akubariks that was flaccid at another local show.

My introduction to the NGDSM in a different hotel in Kaohsiung, but with the same monster Mac monoblocks/Cremoas mentioned above was one of the best systems I've ever heard. Period. The previous Taipei show had an all Selekt system, both tt and DSM, fronting Exaktbox-i Kat into 140's. There i was completely enthralled. So it is possible to make Linn kit sound good in a hotel room. They need a good setter upper. I'm no expert, but have setup the myriad iterations of my system and know what can be achieved with a bit of fiddling. I'm uncertain what the sonic goal they have been trying to achieve is. But this experience of non hifi humans views versus mine does indicate there might be some method in their madness?

Taipei is coming in August again. The dealer seemed to indicate he would be getting some 360's for it. Maybe I should offer to set it up for him?

I think this Munich thing should be a wake-up call to somebody. But as Paul has said, there were other more favourable reports from civilians. There was also that glowing review, by a real reviewer, mentioned earlier in this thread.

But then .... Holy Xenu, the price! Vey to the oi!

HH2010

Linn tune exile
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the best szenario for the 360s they are so good that we need to hope for recordings and sources that are up to the speakers.
More information needs to be reproduced correctly to get more music. In case the speaker is more correct than the recording or the sources, you hear the flaws and it's no music any more.
Source first! (242s needed top notch Klimax sources and amps and therefore were not fully understood at their time, 360s need what?)

In the worst case, these beasts are no sound analog design but do need the digital crutches of SO to exist at all. Then there would be no beauty. In that world we would end up with ear buds driven by digitital room simulation. At least that could be the simulation of a concert hall.
In that future SOed speakers would be seen as an strange detour only; because they try to sound right in each and any customer's room, and we will have ended up discussing sound profile files in databases to simulate against a specific couch or flower vase in the future.

The most engaging system I know is kind of a Majik LP12 system with Helix speakers and an analogue tensioned string resonator between the speakers, which can be bought as a piano forte.
The system that get's me closest to the stage is an LP12 analogue active and Solo'ed Komri.
The best compromise between these two and my budget is my system of course. :)

Let's give the dealers with deep experience some months to play with the 360s.
Then we will know. About the 360s and the course Linn is steering. (popcorn)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tendaberry

anatius

Wammer
Oct 27, 2021
55000 euro is the net price of the PWAB version, you must add always the different taxes, for Germany +19% is 65450 Euro like in the price list. But this shows he has not really checked what he was hearing to.
Am I correct in assuming that Linn were presenting the integrated model of the 360?

anatius

Wammer
Oct 27, 2021
Gordon (and other guys from Linn) were excited how good 360's are sounding...
I was not in the mood to explain... I just asked if they could turn off the SO... that remark was sufficient to convey my emotions. It's not polite, neither is my way to criticize... particularly not during the event.
@NL I am extremely depressed and mystified that you are able to report that the Linn team are happy about hoe the 360's were performing. Is there any chance the Linn team were excited because of the acoustic challenges the venue presented?

NL.

Wammer
Jan 8, 2019
Belgrade, Serbia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, I didn't noticed any concerns about acoustic challenges among Linn team at all. Layout in the listening room was exactly the same as last year. Speakers, chairs for the visitors, distances etc. - all very same like in 2022. Between every played song there were comments and short questions to the listeners from the Linn team, highlighting the details of the performans (i.e. praising excellent "this and that" from the last song and announcing what listeners should focus on during the next song). In other words, Linn team had professional attitude, from their commens one could conclude the setup performed at its best, having no issues with anything.

Last edited:

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So the 25 reasons/excuses listed on here that the performance of the speakers was not exactly world shattering news can now be debunked. Linn had no issues with anything, and as we all know LINN KNOWS BEST. Anyone on here actually shelled out £100,000 of their own money on these yet to tell the tale ? Or are they not let out to the public yet ?

Reactions: Mischa

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder if people would have a different opinion on the 360's if the price was the same as what Organik 350's sold for prior to the introduction of the 360's?

I may be wrong, but are the 360's being evaluated with more scrutiny because of their higher price, with higher expectations for sound quality?

What would you think if the 360's sold for slightly less than the Organik 350's and musical performance was a lot better?

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As previously mentioned, the high price now pitches them in with the big boys in the speaker world. But until people actually buy them, and play them in their own home environment we will have to wait and see. Paired with the other top line Linn analogue and digital products you are now looking at something like £160,000 total cost. So I suggest people will expect a very, very good sound.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was thinking that perhaps the 360s are so good, and such a departure from what has been achievable before that passers-by not taking the time to adapt to the new sound may not get on with them. I would think I'd need a couple of hours of bespoke demonstration to fully appreciate them, and to find justification for the price.

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder if people would have a different opinion on the 360's if the price was the same as what Organik 350's sold for prior to the introduction of the 360's?

I may be wrong, but are the 360's being evaluated with more scrutiny because of their higher price, with higher expectations for sound quality?

What would you think if the 360's sold for slightly less than the Organik 350's and musical performance was a lot better?
I didn’t consider price even once when I heard the 360’s at multiple
Occasions. The only time I consider price is when I’m about to buy something. That way the price does not influence my opinions on how good or better the speaker is.

Like I said from my personal experience I found the 360’s to be way better than any other Organik systems I’ve heard. They sounded leagues ahead of the 350 Katalyst (not heard the 350 Organik yet) and much better than my Akubarik katalyst exakts.

Can I afford them? No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online