Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have auditioned many high end speakers over the years, and the demo music is almost always chosen by the sales people to show off the highlights of the speakers. For example, I heard some Borresen speakers that provided a superb rendition of a single guitar player that was singing. It sounded very lifelike, with the musician in the room

Then I requested that the sales person play some of my reference music, such as Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen", "My Rival", "Jack of Speed"

In all cases, the speakers revealed their sound signature, and I realized the true nature of their sound quality was not to my liking at all.

I wonder how many people requested their own reference music to audition the 360's? It might have given a different outcome in terms of their perceptions of the music through the 360's?

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As previously mentioned, the high price now pitches them in with the big boys in the speaker world. But until people actually buy them, and play them in their own home environment we will have to wait and see. Paired with the other top line Linn analogue and digital products you are now looking at something like £160,000 total cost. So I suggest people will expect a very, very good sound.
There'll be very few if any people lashing out that kind of cash on a new full 360 based system with Klimax hub and Klimax LP12.

Most potential buyers will be current owners of 350 or Komri based Klimax systems. Allowing for discounts and trade ins, you'd probably be talking about a changeover cost in the region of £25,000 to £50,000.

That's still a lot of cash, but affordable for more people than you'd think due to factors such as a decent pension tax free sum or released cash from downsizing their house as the kids move or savings or whatever. For many, it will likely be their last big upgrade.

From what I've heard of the 360s and the interest people are currently showing, I suspect that there'll plenty of pairs sold over the next few months.

Last edited:

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have auditioned many high end speakers over the years, and the demo music is almost always chosen by the sales people to show off the highlights of the speakers. For example, I heard some Borresen speakers that provided a superb rendition of a single guitar player that was singing. It sounded very lifelike, with the musician in the room

Then I requested that the sales person play some of my reference music, such as Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen", "My Rival", "Jack of Speed"

In all cases, the speakers revealed their sound signature, and I realized the true nature of their sound quality was not to my liking at all.

I wonder how many people requested their own reference music to audition the 360's? It might have given a different outcome in terms of their perceptions of the music through the 360's?
Paul, my experience was that my dealer left me for as long as I needed to listen to any album I wished. I expect many dealers will offer extended home demos. That's what Peter Tyson did for me with the KDSM/3 Hub and Organik upgrade of Exaktboxes.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paul, my experience was that my dealer left me for as long as I needed to listen to any album I wished. I expect many dealers will offer extended home demos. That's what Peter Tyson did for me with the KDSM/3 Hub and Organik upgrade of Exaktboxes.
Yes, for me, that is always the best way to audition a new HiFi system and speakers

You can't beat having the demo kit in your own home, playing your own reference music

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a potential buyer of the 360s, I've been thinking about what to expect from the dealer. I won't buy without at least a two hour in-store demonstration. But would it be reasonable for me to expect an at-home demo? It just sounds like a lot of work for the dealer to schlep 360s potentially hundreds of miles. Do I need to know with certainty that they will work in my listening room? Or could the in-store demo be extrapolated to my house?

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a potential buyer of the 360s, I've been thinking about what to expect from the dealer. I won't buy without at least a two hour in-store demonstration. But would it be reasonable for me to expect an at-home demo? It just sounds like a lot of work for the dealer to schlep 360s potentially hundreds of miles. Do I need to know with certainty that they will work in my listening room? Or could the in-store demo be extrapolated to my house?
For the price of 360s I’d expect my dealer to be in the backing band for audition.:oops:

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Make an estimate of how much the dealer is going to make out of the transaction, then decide how much you can reasonably expect him to do to get the sale. I suggest free home demo for a couple of weeks plus free champagne and caviar for a year if you decide to buy.

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There'll be very few if any people lashing out that kind of cash on a new full 360 based system with Klimax hub and Klimax LP12.

Most potential buyers will be current owners of 350 or Komri based Klimax systems. Allowing for discounts and trade ins, you'd probably be talking about a changeover cost in the region of £25,000 to £50,000.

That's still a lot of cash, but affordable for more people than you'd think due to factors such as a decent pension tax free sum or released cash from downsizing their house as the kids move or savings or whatever. For many, it will likely be their last big upgrade.

From what I've heard of the 360s and the interest people are currently showing, I suspect that there'll plenty of pairs sold over the next few months.
If that is the case there are going to be a flood of 350/Komri speakers hitting the market and thus a crash in their prices. On the other hand, if its not people "trading up" to 360's from other Linn products its a big price tag.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If that is the case there are going to be a flood of 350/Komri speakers hitting the market and thus a crash in their prices. On the other hand, if its not people "trading up" to 360's from other Linn products its a big price tag.
One could always let go of one of the Bentleys and buy 2 pairs of 360's, or drop some of the hired help for one pair of 360's? 😂

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Make an estimate of how much the dealer is going to make out of the transaction, then decide how much you can reasonably expect him to do to get the sale. I suggest free home demo for a couple of weeks plus free champagne and caviar for a year if you decide to buy.
If I like them in the store, I can already hear the dealer saying that they will work fine in the house. And they would most likely be right.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I went looking for the linked review from the beginning of this thread, and the same site has a review of a pair of focals for fifty grand more. I go to two HiFi shows a year here, where prices are much higher than in G7 countries, but where a hundred is cheap. Fear not everybody, these things will be on sale in the used market at less insane pricing. Or at least something talk therapy can cure, as compared to ECT or a frontal lobotomy.

It's doubtful Linn will release anything garbage, they just don't know how to set stuff up at shows. I'm sure once real people get them the glowing reviews will flood in.

Reactions: akamatsu

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If I like them in the store, I can already hear the dealer saying that they will work fine in the house. And they would most likely be right.
That is where you need to use psychology. You say "They are pretty good but they aren't totally exciting me." Then they will come back with "They will, of course, sound much better in your home. Would you like us to arrange a home audition?"

Done! ;)

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is where you need to use psychology. You say "They are pretty good but they aren't totally exciting me." Then they will come back with "They will, of course, sound much better in your home. Would you like us to arrange a home audition?"

Done! ;)
...and then of course you come back with " what would really excite me would be a 25% discount"...

• Haha
Reactions: akamatsu

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Done! ;)
Hi Thomas,

As you are now offering to audition Klimax 360's in our homes, you could bring a pair to audition to my home in Vancouver , and then take them to Akamatsu's who lives close to my home.

Thanks, looking forward to it 🤪😂

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My dealer said he won’t have an issue trading in high end Linn gear because there simply isn’t enough of it out there to flood the market and crash their prices as you put it.

In any case, it will be self regulating - if it’s not a good deal for them, customers will be less likely to go for the 360s. Also, there’ll be a lot more people in the market for Komris at for the sake of argument £10,000 or whatever than 360s at £55,000 so shifting the trade ins is unlikely to be the bottleneck.

Remember it’s not just Komris/350 that will be traded but also surplus Exaktboxes and Solos, etc. There’s always been demand for second hand Linn gear at reasonable prices. It’s highly desirable kit.

Furthermore, it’s not all going to happen at the same time. Not every potential 360 customer is going to rush in straight away and those that have face a four month wait.

As Linn only sold 100 pairs of Komris in total, they’ll probably not be expecting to sell much more than 100 or so 360s in the first couple of years. That would amount to total sales of several million pounds.

Last edited:

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My dealer said he won’t have an issue trading in high end Linn gear because there simply isn’t enough of it out there to flood the market and crash their prices as you put it.

In any case, it will be self regulating - if it’s not a good deal for them, customers will be less likely to go for the 360s. Also, there’ll be a lot more people in the market for Komris at for the sake of argument £10,000 or whatever than 360s at £55,000 so shifting the trade ins is unlikely to be the bottleneck.

Remember it’s not just Komris/360 that will be traded but also surplus Exaktboxes and Solos, etc. There’s always been demand for second hand Linn gear at reasonable prices. It’s highly desirable kit.

Furthermore, it’s not all going to happen at the same time. Not every potential 360 customer is going to rush in straight away and those that have face a four month wait.

As Linn only sold 100 pairs of Komris in total, they’ll probably not be expecting to sell much more than 100 or so 360s in the first couple of years. That would amount to total sales of several million pounds.
Yes, I agree what you are saying is quite likely, as people trade up to Klimax 360's

I think there is a huge market for the 360's in Asia, and there is unlikely to be much used high end Linn speakers floating around there.

Reactions: Newton John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles