Power Cables w.t.h?

30hurts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2013
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spent many years just using any old power cable (my preamp came with £3.00 IEC lead). After having success upgrading interconnects and speaker cable, I turned to the power cables. I replaced the pre amp one and there was an overwhelming difference for the better.

The next obvious move was to buy the same one for my power amp. Spent around 36 hours with it and it sounds worse than the Taiwanese "Well Shin" cable it came with!

I cant see this being a burn in thing as the pre amp sounded better immediately. The Well Shin cable is a schuko with a UK adapter whereas the new cable is UK. Could it be the schuko connection sounding better?

Things were much less complicated before I realised cables actually make a difference

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't and won't try to argue about your perception of your system but I can't really believe that a mains lead would make that much difference. Its job is to allow your kit to draw power from the mains, and either it passes the current or it doesn't (either it is broken, or has a high resistance which heats up and becomes a fire risk). The quality of what you listen to depends more on the quality of the dc provided by the power supplies in your kit than it does on the type of your mains lead. I could, however, be convinced by oscilloscope traces of the power applied to the inlet of your kit by different mains leads, traces of the HT rails taken while amplifying music, and by i/p vs o/p comparisons of signals.

If you like what you hear, that's fine, you're entitled to say so.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought some Supra mains leads with EU Schuko connectors. More detail and a bit smoother but sometimes more forward sound (probably enhanced midrange clarity). I found that I preferred these in some cases and not in others. In my nearfield system I removed all but one of them and reverted to standard 5€ mains lead.
Certainly don’t want to make any big claims. Can make some difference but tread carefully.

30hurts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2013
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hear what you're saying (and you obviously did come here to argue) but I've heard the same chat one thousand times over. I'm as skeptical as it comes about everything in life and I also thought people were mugs for buying cable since I used Van Damme XKE in my system. Until I took a chance and changed them out to OCC copper with better connectors I realised I was the only mug listening to a sub standard version of my system.

If anyone has any decent input I'd be grateful. I cant be bothered with condescending attitudes on a hifi forum.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get a decent mains cable made for the UK. A good solid copper cable from Supra does not cost too much and should provide a good uplift in audio quality from the bog standard mains cables. If it is too much then get a Belden mains cable which is well-made and specified especially the 19364. I prefer it to the larger Belden.

If you want to see what a better cable may do then try the Puritan mains cables reviewed by Kevin Fiske here: https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/puritan-mains-cables.101547/

There used to be lots of measurements and oscilloscope images on the Puritan web page but they have now gone for a more 'modern' page and removed those images. Apparently providing measurements does not convince people.

If you buy online or from some dealers then you can try the cable out and if it does nothing return it. But as the Belden is £9 it is worth a punt.

Some Japanese/Asian/US companies have started to send audio with decent mains cables, so the reason for the difference could be that.

30hurts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2013
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get a decent mains cable made for the UK. A good solid copper cable from Supra does not cost too much and should provide a good uplift in audio quality from the bog standard mains cables. If it is too much then get a Belden mains cable which is well-made and specified especially the 19364. I prefer it to the larger Belden.

If you want to see what a better cable may do then try the Puritan mains cables reviewed by Kevin Fiske here: https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/puritan-mains-cables.101547/

There used to be lots of measurements and oscilloscope images on the Puritan web page but they have now gone for a more 'modern' page and removed those images. Apparently providing measurements does not convince people.

If you buy online or from some dealers then you can try the cable out and if it does nothing return it. But as the Belden is £9 it is worth a punt.

Some Japanese/Asian/US companies have started to send audio with decent mains cables, so the reason for the difference could be that.
Fantastic thanks George. It was infact the Puritian Audio Classic cable that made a substantial difference to my pre amp but sounded worse on power amp. This is the part that's bemused me!

• Upvote
Reactions: Nativebon

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First. Would the naysayers please keep their comments to themselves. We all know that there are people out there that can’t hear a difference in cables. Fine, but if a sensible question is asked of the rest of us please keep your inane comments to yourself.
Regarding mains cables. I have no idea why but they seem to make more impact on low level signal generators. Phono stages and DACS for example.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First. Would the naysayers please keep their comments to themselves. We all know that there are people out there that can’t hear a difference in cables. Fine, but if a sensible question is asked of the rest of us please keep your inane comments to yourself.
Regarding mains cables. I have no idea why but they seem to make more impact on low level signal generators. Phono stages and DACS for example.
With due respect this is a forum, a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged., If you pose a question, opinionate or put forward idea or argue a point then expect a counter response or affirmation of the question posed, one can expect a certain amount of disbelief or incredulity should the proposition be improbable.

Perhaps the OP might create a closed thread that only ego strokers can access?

Just my tuppence worth and no animosity meant toward any party.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

First. This is not a faith forum. Therefore, do you think that "naysayers" have as much right to voice their opinions as anyone else? If yes, then what is the problem? If not then would you prefer unilateral moderation, and who should judge the criteria for that moderation?

Second. Please point out any question, sensible or not, being posed by the OP?

Third. If you can't find a question posed by the OP then which of the ensuing statements made in this thread meet your criteria of inanity?

And finally from the OP...

I hear what you're saying (and you obviously did come here to argue) but I've heard the same chat one thousand times over.
I cant be bothered with condescending attitudes on a hifi forum.

...ermm...

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fantastic thanks George. It was infact the Puritian Audio Classic cable that made a substantial difference to my pre amp but sounded worse on power amp. This is the part that's bemused me!
Interesting. So it worked well with a valve preamp, but with an SS power amp, it made it worse? Where are you based (message me), if you are near then I will come over with a box of cables Puritan gave me and we could try them all out, including the Ultimate. I had the same here with a £3K mains cable (review item!!) sounding superb on a big 300w/channel SS amp and terrible with a valve amp. Same bloody mains outlet as well.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Supra not exactly cheap but if you buy from Future shop, you can try them out, have 60 days to return them.

Mark Grant has a no quibble return policy as well.

I thought Van Damme used OFC? Connectors can make a difference, some say more than the cable.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles