Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wife calls from the kitchen after you've become over engrossed listening to music while the LP flattens...

"Darling, that black pizza of yours seems to be done, it's bubbling nicely".

Reactions: lazycat and deggie

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The industry is in a mess trying to keep up with demand with limited old presses.
The link below points to a yet to be revealed potential new approach possibly based on 3D printing tech.
https://thenextweb.com/news/vinyl-industry-mess-british-company-tech-fix-elasticstage

I know most reading this thread will probably disagree but spending time/money/resources on solving the 'problem' of producing vinyl records today is just completely ridiculous!

The album in question wasn't one I'd heard of, so I streamed in via qobuz (44.k kHz / 24 bit FWIW). Like @bigrod commented the recording quality seemed fine to me :).

slavedata

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2009
Bottesford Melton
AKA
Dave Slater
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the consuimer wants Vinyl, is willing to pay extra for the vinyl and someone can make a profit from supplying the vinyl version why not?

A new solution to producing vinyl enabling it to be made for a reasonable price despite being a a small, heading towards single, production run I think would be attractive and interesting to those of who enjoy vinyl.

Better than moaning about and continually returning defective, rush produced, old format product.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the product is faulty then return it for a refund, presume that will cost postage?

Even in the 70s, I returned quite a few records, mostly because of scratches. I'm surprised that turntable manufacturers use scratched records on demos. I heard 3 tracks on promo video, 2 were scratched, 1 quite badly.

I think I'm too fussy for vinyl.

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll add I've had huge issues with new pressings. Lucinda Wllliams 'Dust' first copy warped, second copy also warped. Got refund and to keep both. Fortunately they just about play ok.

Loads of Blue Note Tone Poet and Classic series pop and crackle away. Likewise, other stuff.

Does put me off buying vinyl. And CD is way cheaper. Real pain to have to post back returns.

On the plus side, with my hearing most defects are only noticeable via headphones, fine through speakers. I've also found switching to a Sumiko Moonstone from an Ortofon OM30 has improved matters by >50%.

If the product is faulty then return it for a refund, presume that will cost postage?

Even in the 70s, I returned quite a few records, mostly because of scratches. I'm surprised that turntable manufacturers use scratched records on demos. I heard 3 tracks on promo video, 2 were scratched, 1 quite badly.

I think I'm too fussy for vinyl.
If item is faulty seller pays for return postage.

Reactions: StingRay

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll add I've had huge issues with new pressings. Lucinda Wllliams 'Dust' first copy warped, second copy also warped. Got refund and to keep both. Fortunately they just about play ok.

Loads of Blue Note Tone Poet and Classic series pop and crackle away. Likewise, other stuff.

Does put me off buying vinyl. And CD is way cheaper. Real pain to have to post back returns.

On the plus side, with my hearing most defects are only noticeable via headphones, fine through speakers. I've also found switching to a Sumiko Moonstone from an Ortofon OM30 has improved matters by >50%.

I would hope it would Sumiko one of my favourite brands and still sensibly priced unlike the current Nagaokas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles