Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chaps I've just purchased a very low phase noise OCXO and I'd like to put it into a nice case and add an ultra low noise power supply.

I am always one to try and do it myself but this project would involve mains voltages so not something I want to undertake.

Attached is an example of what I'd want. Anyone feeling up to the challenge? Obviously I'd be happy to pay for the service!

The OCXO is 12v.

Screenshot_20230326-215534.png

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that's a good idea. You could try a SMPS for the build if you have one and then get an LPS once it's finished.

Reactions: Tony_J

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that's a good idea. You could try a SMPS for the build if you have one and then get an LPS once it's finished.
I would have a local linear regulator in the box with the clock board. There may well even be one on the clock PCB. People used to like having several regulators in series in the past.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I've seen reviews of DACs etc saying SMPS are ok to use as there is plenty of good internal regulation. Ifi might have been one.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I could just buy a regular 12v LPSU as the board I'm buying already has a 12v barrel input and SMA clock output.

However I want it all in a single, nice quality full width case, with a suspended floor inside.

I'm buying a hand picked and tested OCXO at -118dBc. The Mutec ref100 is -115. Such an expensive and high performing clock needs a nice enclosure.

I saw these that look good https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/line...-power-supply-unit-regulated-12v-p-13916.html and I'd use a high quality R core transformer and IEC filter.

Hint hint I can buy all the parts I just need some help soldering it all together and drilling all the internal mount holes and the IEC and front panel holes.

I have a ton of interesting capacitors and circuit boards that I can bribe someone with 😝

And bottles of alcohol!

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very tempting especially the alcohol but sadly I have none of the skills to trade for it .

• Haha
Reactions: newlash09

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hint hint I can buy all the parts I just need some help soldering it all together and drilling all the internal mount holes and the IEC and front panel holes.
Quite happy soldering things, but drilling holes, they always seem to range from not quite being the right place, to embarrassingly not in the right place. :)

• Haha

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm fine with all of it. What I'm sadly not fine with is 'time' at the moment. There seems to be a requirement here for at least 36 hours in every day :(

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks everyone, I've had a good chat with Deco and I think I'll get them to do the work. 5 week lead time but I can live with that.

So, question how is what 12v voltage regulator would folks recommend? I needs to be ultra low noise.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
James just a question what is this clock going to feed ? Also what will be the connection between the clock and DAC etc be ? In general it is a bnc to bnc . Just something for you to make DECO aware of most clocks output at 50 ohm while the majority of audio equipment is 75 ohm input . This gives an impedance mismatch . Now I know many will say it does not matter but if you are going all out as you seem to be it is worth addressing . I have the same issue but also a solution in that my Mutec has a link that can be moved to switch out the 75 ohm input and by adding a 50 ohm bnc and a 50 ohm impedance terminator I get correct 50 ohm matching . This may not be possible in your set up but it may be possible to get the clock output made 75 ohm .

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I could just buy a regular 12v LPSU as the board I'm buying already has a 12v barrel input and SMA clock output.

However I want it all in a single, nice quality full width case, with a suspended floor inside.

I'm buying a hand picked and tested OCXO at -118dBc. The Mutec ref100 is -115. Such an expensive and high performing clock needs a nice enclosure.

I saw these that look good https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/line...-power-supply-unit-regulated-12v-p-13916.html and I'd use a high quality R core transformer and IEC filter.

I have a ton of interesting capacitors and circuit boards that I can bribe someone with 😝

And bottles of alcohol!
And while you're at it, you might consider adding a nice VU meter to add to the charm of your tubes. I know bugger all about what the vu meter can or should show in an instance like this. But it would definitely look nicer with one 😁.

10m01-480x267.jpg

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The solution was obvious in the end!

I've just bought one of these power supplies. All I need to do is transfer the components into a nice case and add a steel tranny cover for R-core transformer. I will then have a go at drilling the holes myself both to mount everything and to attach the power button, it can't be that hard!

No soldering required other than to potentially reattach the power button unless the wires aren't soldered on. Again, I can probably do that.

I see no reason to not just attach the power supply to the board through the barrel connector inside the case, or would it lower noise if I soldered the DC power wires directly to the underside of the 12v DC input on the clock board?

PS here is the -118dBc unit I bought. Now en route to me. I also have a test report confirming its performance.

S68176c07fefe4eee8de568615494d5f31.jpg

Last edited:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now look I am not anything close to being even competent on this but I have read that anything using an OXCO clock has to have two power supply feeds . One for the OXCO clock to maintain its temperature the other for the ready of the system . Does the clock board you have ordered have feeds for both and can they both be powered by the pay you have linked to ? If so then it looks good 👍. Will be interested in how you feel and what you hear when it all connected up . Sadly I need to stick with the ready built clocks as would likely destroy the house and injure myself if I tried this . Also the big child in me would love to see a VU meter as well .

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That Teac clock has a temp guage on the front, not a VDU, and it's a pointless gimic than just adds unnecessary wires and probably noise. Those Teac units are also around -100bDC so crap performing to boot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles