Poor Attempt at Hifi Wigwam Scamming..

L

lostintranslation

Scams are pretty rife it seems.I saw a deal on an European website that rather good and proceeded to contact the seller for pictures taken at a certain angle. Needless to say, it all went silent. The old adage if its too good to be true....

Buying from reputable wammers or local dealers looks like the best way to go. eBay was a bit touch and go as well.
Did that happen to be the Avid Avictus turntable?

Glad you posted that, it could be very useful to people new to this game. It just shows how tricksy they can be.
a lot more to baiting than just wasting their time, wasting all resources is very worthwhile as some take a LOT of work to establishonce you've worked with a few victims you would understand why this a very worthwhile role that many volunteers give freely of their own time to perform

on a lighter note it can be real fun - this a fun read : "Delete This At Your Peril: The Bob Servant Emails" by Neil Forsyth can be picked up cheap (there are several different ones around)
Exactly that, he's spent time and effort and investment, becoming a timely and frustrating annoyance to them wears them down.

Hmm.. Mostly good advice, but I was scammed a while back by a 'reputable wammer'. lets say the goods were not exactly as described.
Same here, on on here, but Art of Sound forum, definitely learned my lesson since that purchase.

a touch of cloth

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The irony of a previously banned member (Chronicallyme), rejoining under a new name and saving us all from scammers, is not lost.

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
The irony of a previously banned member (Chronicallyme), rejoining under a new name and saving us all from scammers, is not lost.
Are you hinting that he should be reported so that further banning can ensue. I am surprised that a mod has not picked up on this. It's not like the good old days is it?

a touch of cloth

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you hinting that he should be reported so that further banning can ensue. I am surprised that a mod has not picked up on this. It's not like the good old days is it?
Nowt to do with that, merely the fact that he was banned for being an arse, has rejoined under another name and is complaining about people not being who they claim.

If it posts like a twat, sounds like a twat then it is a twat. :)

p.s. I include you and I in that last sentence !

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Nowt to do with that, merely the fact that he was banned for being an arse, has rejoined under another name and is complaining about people not being who they claim.If it posts like a twat, sounds like a twat then it is a twat. :)

p.s. I include you and I in that last sentence !
I consider my posts little nuggets of genius that I like to bestow on the wam as the mood takes me.

• Upvote
Reactions: a touch of cloth

cooky1257

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2009
Wirral, , United Kin
AKA
Frank
Scams are pretty rife it seems.I saw a deal on an European website that rather good and proceeded to contact the seller for pictures taken at a certain angle. Needless to say, it all went silent. The old adage if its too good to be true....
I think if I got email asking me for pictures taken at a certain angle I'd blush.

MUJI

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
Surrey
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think if I got email asking me for pictures taken at a certain angle I'd blush.
What the?! lol!

:notworthy:

@lostintranslation - it wasn't an Avid turntable.

In the end it may just be worthwhile to pay 20-30% premium over private sellers that have no/suspicious track record just to have that peace of mind.

L

lostintranslation

What the?! lol! :notworthy:

@lostintranslation - it wasn't an Avid turntable.

In the end it may just be worthwhile to pay 20-30% premium over private sellers that have no/suspicious track record just to have that peace of mind.
Ah I noticed the 15K Avid on there, for 5K...but they are getting better, had fresh photos not being used on the internet before, which is what Fred didn't do, schoolboy error really :)

Yeah definitely, for the £200 saving, it really wasnt to go much further than that third email

Geoff101

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2013
Oxfordshire
I think I conversed with 'Fred' a little when he responded to my wanted ad for Sugden bits. It didn't really smell right so I didn't progress it thankfully.

I did buy a pre-amp from a very nice Dutch chap on Marktplatz though. A smoother transaction you couldn't wish for.

Geoff

L

lostintranslation

I think I conversed with 'Fred' a little when he responded to my wanted ad for Sugden bits. It didn't really smell right so I didn't progress it thankfully.I did buy a pre-amp from a very nice Dutch chap on Marktplatz though. A smoother transaction you couldn't wish for.

Geoff
Sounds like he has no end of quality kit in his clothing store flat in the African Internet Cafe aka Denmark :)

Pete the Feet

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Rochdale, , United K
AKA
Mr Feet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not hifi but a recent occurrence to a chap at work.

The chap sees a motorbike at a knockdown price on the internet. Makes enquiries, pictures, location, registration etc. Seller provides general location and bank details and requests money transfer. Buyer asks for advice from work colleagues and advised to get reg, run a HPI check. No info forthcoming from seller so buyer advised to stay well clear by colleagues. Does he listen, does he feck. No, he transfers the cash, buyer withdraws money and closes down account resulting in £4k loss.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not hifi but a recent occurrence to a chap at work.The chap sees a motorbike at a knockdown price on the internet. Makes enquiries' date=' pictures, location, registration etc. Seller provides general location and bank details and requests money transfer. Buyer asks for advice from work colleagues and advised to get reg, run a HPI check. No info forthcoming from seller so buyer advised to stay well clear by colleagues. Does he listen, does he feck. No, he transfers the cash, buyer withdraws money and closes down account resulting in £4k loss.[/quote']

A twat and his money are soon parted

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You know him as well then.The seller was allegedly in Scotland!
Absolutely...I know all the umpty-million Scots by name... :dunno:

rv295

Chat Bot
Wammer
Sep 13, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ross
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absolutely...I know all the umpty-million Scots by name... :dunno:
I bought my speakers from a dealer in Scotland but they were proper amateurish. They actually posted me the speakers that I paid for. :doh:

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought my speakers from a dealer in Scotland but they were proper amateurish. They actually posted me the speakers that I paid for. :doh:
The Internet is full of stories like this :dunno:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online