Poor Attempt at Hifi Wigwam Scamming..

L

lostintranslation

I was recently contacted on here by someone from 'Denmark' about some Tannoy speakers he had for sale (apparently he had a much more expensive 15K set as well as the cheap Revolutions I was after). After some emails, realising it was a scam from about the third email when he halved his price instantly including shipping for 40kg worth of speakers, I wondered how far he would carry on....here is the transcript (edited out email addresses and personal' info)

Hi,

I have the Tannoy Revolution XT6F in good shape and i am asking for 990 Euro, i have attached pictures of the speakers and Payment will be via PayPal, Where are you located?

Many thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred

Thanks for your email - 990euro is far too much I am afraid, I can get them brand new here delivered for around 700GBP (890Euro) but Im only looking to spend around 500GBP.

Thanks anyway

Mike

Hello Michael,

You price is fair to me and i can see that you are located at London, I can make shipment to you once i confirm payment via PayPal. Please what's your full postal address?

Many thanks

Hi Fred

Sure, thankyou.

Could you tell me a little more about the speakers? Its looks as if you are a dealer, are they ex display or preowned? Any marks, or damage etc

Thanks

The speakers are EX and there have not been any marks or damages on the speakers.

Hi Fred

Ok, sounds good.

So to confirm, £500 delivered to me, fully insured etc?

I am in London yes.

Cheers

Mike

Yes Michael, £500 with shipping all fully insured. So what's your full postal address?

Hi Fred

Ok, happy to accept.

Postcode is XXX-XXX

Whats your PayPal address?

Also, can I get some details from you also, name, address, telephone etc, the usual
smile.png

Cheers

Mike

Hello Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me with your full postal address, Please do send payment with the below PayPal info-

PayPal Account: ladyk8477@gmail.com

Amount to send: £500

Once Payment is sent, kindly let me know and so that i can confirm payment. Then i will get the speakers ship out to your stated address.

Hope to hear from you today with payment.

Many thanks,

Fred

(notice the font and size change!
smile.png
)

Hi Fred

No problem. As requested in my previous email, can I get some details from you prior to payment

your name, address, telephone etc, I can see your a dealer from the photographs, so your business website would be good also.

Also, it would be better for you to invoice me with PayPal - my PP isXXXX please include all details of the speakers and what the transaction is for.

Many Thanks

Mike

--------

Fred, Also the images you have sent me are coming up on Asian auction sites. Can you explain please.

--------

Nice try Frankie.

--------

Hello Michael,

I did put out the speakers on sell on the site so that they can help out sell it for me but i have not getting any reply from them, that's why i contacted you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And i am new to hifiwigwam but you do not have anything to worry about. I do hope you do understand me.

Thanks,

Fred

-------

As soon as i confirm payment from you i will drive straight to the shipping company to make arrangement for shipment and will email to you shipping details ( Tracking Number) . Hope to hear from you again when you get this email.

Hi Frank

Please send me a photograph of you standing next to speakers with todays date written on a piece of paper.

Also provide your address, phone number etc.

Who is Diva Divine by the way? (I sent a penny to his paypal address to get a name on the account
smile.png
)

You wont be recieving payment until you do.

If you are concerned, I suggest shipping the speakers first, and I will make payment once they arrive - you can post a thread on Hifi Wigwam so people are aware that is the deal.

Sorry who is Frankie? .

I told you i am not Frank, And i ant ship out till i confirm payment via PayPal but i can send you my ID Card . Then you can make payment but if you are not still OK with this. You can pass on it.

Hi Fred

I have asked now numerous times for your phone, address and contact details, which you have not supplied. Anyone selling an item would be expected to give these. The speakers you show are in a hifi dealership - so if thats the case, give me the shop number and ill give you a call. You classed them as ex display, however on the Asian sites you have them as B grade with some minor damage.

I have also asked for a photo with todays date on, again I have not recieved them.

As I have said, I am fully prepared to buy the speakers, the cash is waiting, you have all of my contact details, yet you are not forth coming with yours - it does not make sense.

I have some speakers in my room right now, it would take me five minutes to take a photo with them and send them to you, why is it difficult for you?

Mike

--------

According to the Japanese listing sites, you are Audio Gem Museum, and not in Denmark.

Unless you are not and merely using their photographs.

There is no problem buying from Asia at all, but this all seems rather odd.

Mike like i told you I can send you my ID card and when you make payment via PayPal and you did not get the speaker and you can ask for a refund so why are you worried?

Hi

Because if the speakers dont arrive, I have to wait a long time for PayPal to refund, and I would rather not have the stress or the hassle.

Please do send your ID card, with your address, telephone number et - fifth time asking now.

Also why are they listing as B Grade with minor damage when you told me they are in excellent condition?

Cheers

Mike

Just to add, Hifi Wigwam etiquette is that you should supply your name and address when requestd by the buyer in a trade transaction.

You will get all that in my ID Card.

------

Address: 7 Vestergade , Odense 5000, Denmark

-----

That address is registered to a clothing shop. (its not a clothing store its a haberdashery)

Still no ID card.

Mike I live at the 2 floor of the address. Yes there is a clothing shop down .

Ok, so whats the problem with the photo of the speakers with todays date on?

I am not trying to be funny with you, but its been difficult to get information from you, and when finding the speakers on a Japanese site, you can understand my concern.

You do not have to worried you can just Pass on the speakers .

No problem. Its clearly a scam sale.

That is what you think, but not all you see is what you should feel that is right. I have tried to make you understand in all ways but still you do not get me. I ask if i can send you my ID card but you still not giving the time.

Fred

I have asked for the ID card, you havent sent it.

I asked for photos of the actual speakers, you havent sent them.

I asked who 'Diva Divine' is as this is what the PayPal address you gave me relates too.

The address you have me is a haberdashery store, not a clothing store. If you had an apartment, you would have an apartment number.

What is the big issue about sending photos of the speakers in question?

I am not the only one who believe this is a scam - all the emails have been looked at by a few people who agree with me completely.

I have also stated that full payment can be made after delivery. I am still happy to do this, I will pay the postage now, and remaining balance once they arrive. This is quite standard for new trading members, especially on the AV forum here in the UK, but you decline.

It seems you say No to pretty much anything I request, I am not being difficult, merely wanting to gather information prior to overseas purchase as anyone would do.

Mike

SILENCE

(he obviously gave up from his African internet cafe)

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was recently contacted on here by someone from 'Denmark' about some Tannoy speakers he had for sale (apparently he had a much more expensive 15K set as well as the cheap Revolutions I was after). After some emails' date=' realising it was a scam from about the third email when he halved his price instantly including shipping for 40kg worth of speakers, I wondered how far he would carry on....here is the transcript (edited out email addresses and personal' info)...........trimmed for brevity....

SILENCE

[/quote']

Priceless.

L

lostintranslation

Hopefully it might of saved someone getting shafted for this 15K set
smile.png
, his account still seems live on here, but that thread has been moved.

G

As luck would have it I have some Tannoy Revolution XT6F that were once owned by a Prince Tutu of Zambia, unfortunately he was killed in a freak Polo accident and it has been found that you are his only remaining surviving relation.

He has left these items in my care as part of his estate, for a small handling fee (paper work, customs, local taxes that kind of thing) I can facilitate these into your possession if you wish?

L

lostintranslation

I'm surprised you bothered to keep replying to him.
Sociological experiment.

His acount is still active on here though, so keep an eye out on future posts.

- - - Updated - - -

This. Unless you have nothing better to do.
Like your post? quality use of time
smile.png

- - - Updated - - -

As luck would have it I have some Tannoy Revolution XT6F that were once owned by a Prince Tutu of Zambia, unfortunately he was killed in a freak Polo accident and it has been found that you are his only remaining surviving relation.He has left these items in my care as part of his estate, for a small handling fee (paper work, customs, local taxes that kind of thing) I can facilitate these into your possession if you wish?
Quality
smile.png

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was recently contacted on here by someone from 'Denmark' about some Tannoy speakers he had for sale (apparently he had a much more expensive 15K set as well as the cheap Revolutions I was after). After some emails, realising it was a scam from about the third email when he halved his price instantly including shipping for 40kg worth of speakers, I wondered how far he would carry on....here is the transcript (edited out email addresses and personal' info)Hi,

I have the Tannoy Revolution XT6F in good shape and i am asking for 990 Euro, i have attached pictures of the speakers and Payment will be via PayPal, Where are you located?

Many thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred

Thanks for your email - 990euro is far too much I am afraid, I can get them brand new here delivered for around 700GBP (890Euro) but Im only looking to spend around 500GBP.

Thanks anyway

Mike

Hello Michael,

You price is fair to me and i can see that you are located at London, I can make shipment to you once i confirm payment via PayPal. Please what's your full postal address?

Many thanks

Hi Fred

Sure, thankyou.

Could you tell me a little more about the speakers? Its looks as if you are a dealer, are they ex display or preowned? Any marks, or damage etc

Thanks

The speakers are EX and there have not been any marks or damages on the speakers.

Hi Fred

Ok, sounds good.

I am in London yes.

Cheers

Mike

Yes Michael, £500 with shipping all fully insured. So what's your full postal address?

Hi Fred

Ok, happy to accept.

Postcode is XXX-XXX

Whats your PayPal address?

Also, can I get some details from you also, name, address, telephone etc, the usual
smile.png

Cheers

Mike

Hello Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me with your full postal address, Please do send payment with the below PayPal info-

PayPal Account: ladyk8477@gmail.com

Amount to send: £500

Once Payment is sent, kindly let me know and so that i can confirm payment. Then i will get the speakers ship out to your stated address.

Hope to hear from you today with payment.

Many thanks,

Fred

(notice the font and size change!
smile.png
)

Hi Fred

No problem. As requested in my previous email, can I get some details from you prior to payment

your name, address, telephone etc, I can see your a dealer from the photographs, so your business website would be good also.

Also, it would be better for you to invoice me with PayPal - my PP isXXXX please include all details of the speakers and what the transaction is for.

Many Thanks

Mike

--------

Fred, Also the images you have sent me are coming up on Asian auction sites. Can you explain please.

--------

Nice try Frankie.

--------

Hello Michael,

I did put out the speakers on sell on the site so that they can help out sell it for me but i have not getting any reply from them, that's why i contacted you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And i am new to hifiwigwam but you do not have anything to worry about. I do hope you do understand me.

Thanks,

Fred

-------

As soon as i confirm payment from you i will drive straight to the shipping company to make arrangement for shipment and will email to you shipping details ( Tracking Number) . Hope to hear from you again when you get this email.

Hi Frank

Please send me a photograph of you standing next to speakers with todays date written on a piece of paper.

Who is Diva Divine by the way? (I sent a penny to his paypal address to get a name on the account
smile.png
)

You wont be recieving payment until you do.

If you are concerned, I suggest shipping the speakers first, and I will make payment once they arrive - you can post a thread on Hifi Wigwam so people are aware that is the deal.

Sorry who is Frankie? .

I told you i am not Frank, And i ant ship out till i confirm payment via PayPal but i can send you my ID Card . Then you can make payment but if you are not still OK with this. You can pass on it.

Hi Fred

I have asked now numerous times for your phone, address and contact details, which you have not supplied. Anyone selling an item would be expected to give these. The speakers you show are in a hifi dealership - so if thats the case, give me the shop number and ill give you a call. You classed them as ex display, however on the Asian sites you have them as B grade with some minor damage.

I have also asked for a photo with todays date on, again I have not recieved them.

As I have said, I am fully prepared to buy the speakers, the cash is waiting, you have all of my contact details, yet you are not forth coming with yours - it does not make sense.

I have some speakers in my room right now, it would take me five minutes to take a photo with them and send them to you, why is it difficult for you?

Mike

--------

According to the Japanese listing sites, you are Audio Gem Museum, and not in Denmark.

There is no problem buying from Asia at all, but this all seems rather odd.

Mike like i told you I can send you my ID card and when you make payment via PayPal and you did not get the speaker and you can ask for a refund so why are you worried?

Hi

Because if the speakers dont arrive, I have to wait a long time for PayPal to refund, and I would rather not have the stress or the hassle.

Please do send your ID card, with your address, telephone number et - fifth time asking now.

Also why are they listing as B Grade with minor damage when you told me they are in excellent condition?

Cheers

Mike

Just to add, Hifi Wigwam etiquette is that you should supply your name and address when requestd by the buyer in a trade transaction.

You will get all that in my ID Card.

------

Address: 7 Vestergade , Odense 5000, Denmark

-----

That address is registered to a clothing shop. (its not a clothing store its a haberdashery)

Still no ID card.

Mike I live at the 2 floor of the address. Yes there is a clothing shop down .

Ok, so whats the problem with the photo of the speakers with todays date on?

I am not trying to be funny with you, but its been difficult to get information from you, and when finding the speakers on a Japanese site, you can understand my concern.

You do not have to worried you can just Pass on the speakers .

No problem. Its clearly a scam sale.

That is what you think, but not all you see is what you should feel that is right. I have tried to make you understand in all ways but still you do not get me. I ask if i can send you my ID card but you still not giving the time.

Fred

I have asked for the ID card, you havent sent it.

I asked who 'Diva Divine' is as this is what the PayPal address you gave me relates too.

The address you have me is a haberdashery store, not a clothing store. If you had an apartment, you would have an apartment number.

I am not the only one who believe this is a scam - all the emails have been looked at by a few people who agree with me completely.

I have also stated that full payment can be made after delivery. I am still happy to do this, I will pay the postage now, and remaining balance once they arrive. This is quite standard for new trading members, especially on the AV forum here in the UK, but you decline.

It seems you say No to pretty much anything I request, I am not being difficult, merely wanting to gather information prior to overseas purchase as anyone would do.

Mike

SILENCE

I'd have been bored at com 3.

G

Maybe some new peeps on here will appreciate the post more than the old heads .

L

lostintranslation

very good. I often do the same thing and make it a little irritating for them.
Yup, he obviously still felt the 'deal' was possible for a while, must of wasted so many minutes of his internet cafe time!.......Diva Divine must need some new clothes in Africa.

The username for the forum is Fred M, he is still logging on daily :)

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/member.php?179167-fred-m

He did have a post up for some 15K tannoys, but think its been moved by the mods thankfully.

hermit

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2013
Glasgow
AKA
Paul
i was recently contacted on here by someone from 'denmark' about some tannoy speakers he had for sale (apparently he had a much more expensive 15k set as well as the cheap revolutions i was after). After some emails, realising it was a scam from about the third email when he halved his price instantly including shipping for 40kg worth of speakers, i wondered how far he would carry on....here is the transcript (edited out email addresses and personal' info)hi,

i have the tannoy revolution xt6f in good shape and i am asking for 990 euro, i have attached pictures of the speakers and payment will be via paypal, where are you located?

many thanks,

fred

hi fred

thanks for your email - 990euro is far too much i am afraid, i can get them brand new here delivered for around 700gbp (890euro) but im only looking to spend around 500gbp.

Thanks anyway

mike

hello michael,

you price is fair to me and i can see that you are located at london, i can make shipment to you once i confirm payment via paypal. Please what's your full postal address?

many thanks

hi fred

sure, thankyou.

thanks

the speakers are ex and there have not been any marks or damages on the speakers.

hi fred

ok, sounds good.

I am in london yes.

Cheers

mike

yes michael, £500 with shipping all fully insured. So what's your full postal address?

hi fred

ok, happy to accept.

Postcode is xxx-xxx

whats your paypal address?

Also, can i get some details from you also, name, address, telephone etc, the usual :)

cheers

mike

hello michael,

thanks for getting back to me with your full postal address, please do send payment with the below paypal info-

paypal account: ladyk8477@gmail.com

amount to send: £500

once payment is sent, kindly let me know and so that i can confirm payment. Then i will get the speakers ship out to your stated address.

hope to hear from you today with payment.

many thanks,

fred

(notice the font and size change! :) )

hi fred

no problem. As requested in my previous email, can i get some details from you prior to payment

your name, address, telephone etc, i can see your a dealer from the photographs, so your business website would be good also.

Also, it would be better for you to invoice me with paypal - my pp isxxxx please include all details of the speakers and what the transaction is for.

Many thanks

mike

--------

fred, also the images you have sent me are coming up on asian auction sites. Can you explain please.

--------

nice try frankie.

--------

hello michael,

i did put out the speakers on sell on the site so that they can help out sell it for me but i have not getting any reply from them, that's why i contacted you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

and i am new to hifiwigwam but you do not have anything to worry about. I do hope you do understand me.

thanks,

fred

-------

as soon as i confirm payment from you i will drive straight to the shipping company to make arrangement for shipment and will email to you shipping details ( tracking number) . Hope to hear from you again when you get this email.

hi frank

please send me a photograph of you standing next to speakers with todays date written on a piece of paper.

Who is diva divine by the way? (i sent a penny to his paypal address to get a name on the account :) )

you wont be recieving payment until you do.

If you are concerned, i suggest shipping the speakers first, and i will make payment once they arrive - you can post a thread on hifi wigwam so people are aware that is the deal.

sorry who is frankie? .

I told you i am not frank, and i ant ship out till i confirm payment via paypal but i can send you my id card . Then you can make payment but if you are not still ok with this. You can pass on it.

hi fred

i have asked now numerous times for your phone, address and contact details, which you have not supplied. Anyone selling an item would be expected to give these. The speakers you show are in a hifi dealership - so if thats the case, give me the shop number and ill give you a call. You classed them as ex display, however on the asian sites you have them as b grade with some minor damage.

I have also asked for a photo with todays date on, again i have not recieved them.

As i have said, i am fully prepared to buy the speakers, the cash is waiting, you have all of my contact details, yet you are not forth coming with yours - it does not make sense.

Mike

--------

according to the japanese listing sites, you are audio gem museum, and not in denmark.

There is no problem buying from asia at all, but this all seems rather odd.

mike like i told you i can send you my id card and when you make payment via paypal and you did not get the speaker and you can ask for a refund so why are you worried?

hi

because if the speakers dont arrive, i have to wait a long time for paypal to refund, and i would rather not have the stress or the hassle.

Please do send your id card, with your address, telephone number et - fifth time asking now.

Also why are they listing as b grade with minor damage when you told me they are in excellent condition?

Cheers

mike

just to add, hifi wigwam etiquette is that you should supply your name and address when requestd by the buyer in a trade transaction.

you will get all that in my id card.

------

address: 7 vestergade , odense 5000, denmark

-----

that address is registered to a clothing shop. (its not a clothing store its a haberdashery)

still no id card.

mike i live at the 2 floor of the address. Yes there is a clothing shop down .

ok, so whats the problem with the photo of the speakers with todays date on?

I am not trying to be funny with you, but its been difficult to get information from you, and when finding the speakers on a japanese site, you can understand my concern.

you do not have to worried you can just pass on the speakers .

no problem. Its clearly a scam sale.

that is what you think, but not all you see is what you should feel that is right. I have tried to make you understand in all ways but still you do not get me. I ask if i can send you my id card but you still not giving the time.

fred

i have asked for the id card, you havent sent it.

I asked who 'diva divine' is as this is what the paypal address you gave me relates too.

I have also stated that full payment can be made after delivery. I am still happy to do this, i will pay the postage now, and remaining balance once they arrive. This is quite standard for new trading members, especially on the av forum here in the uk, but you decline.

It seems you say no to pretty much anything i request, i am not being difficult, merely wanting to gather information prior to overseas purchase as anyone would do.

Mike

silence

(he obviously gave up from his african internet cafe)
tl:dr

MUJI

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
Surrey
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Scams are pretty rife it seems.

I saw a deal on an European website that rather good and proceeded to contact the seller for pictures taken at a certain angle. Needless to say, it all went silent. The old adage if its too good to be true....

Buying from reputable wammers or local dealers looks like the best way to go. eBay was a bit touch and go as well.

Eckythump

Numpty
Wammer
Oct 2, 2009
Lancashire Lad
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Glad you posted that, it could be very useful to people new to this game. It just shows how tricksy they can be.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
a lot more to baiting than just wasting their time, wasting all resources is very worthwhile as some take a LOT of work to establish

once you've worked with a few victims you would understand why this a very worthwhile role that many volunteers give freely of their own time to perform

on a lighter note it can be real fun - this a fun read : "Delete This At Your Peril: The Bob Servant Emails" by Neil Forsyth can be picked up cheap (there are several different ones around)

Disarmamant

Certified foo free
Wammer
Mar 30, 2013
Brackley, Northants
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Scams are pretty rife it seems.Buying from reputable wammers or local dealers looks like the best way to go.
Hmm.. Mostly good advice, but I was scammed a while back by a 'reputable wammer'. lets say the goods were not exactly as described.

G

On a slightly dfrent note, SWMBO has a car "resting" on the drive.

DVLA have sent a SORN letter.

So she replied to the DVLA SORN site today, and clicked on the 1st name that popped up on Google.

Guess what, a hyphen diffrent & you end up on a site that charges 90 quid to register something.... that the DVLA does for free.

Anyways, got that sorted out and saved paying 90 quids to some scamming bar stewards.

:rant:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles