Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello everyone

I really like Audio Note speakers but have never owned any. On a punt I am buying a pair of Snell Kii speakers from @karlsushi I have a Quad 909 and Avondale Quad 405 that I could use (with a Croft OBH 22 passive or Avondale Quad 44). Karl actually recommended a Quad 303. I found this company that will effectively make a new on at a reasonable price https://quadrevisie.eu/quadrevisie.html#12

But I am wondering if an integrated valve amp like an Audio Note OTO or a class A Sugden or might be a better idea? (Heat will not a problem). Maybe there is a bargain in the classifieds or someone has something interesting to sell? Am only looking secondhand from known wammers or dealers.

This will be for a second system (streamer based) and so a budget up to £1500 or maybe a little higher?

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sugden a21a Signature. You should pick one up in that budget easy Dom. You have been itching to try one so nows your chance 👍🏻
I don’t think you will dislike it but if you did, an easy sell on at no loss.

Reactions: deggie and DomT

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have any experience with the well-loved Sugden, but all I will say is that over here, Class A solid state just didn't quite work with the Snells. Now that was based on a Pass Labs Aleph 3 (and for a time, an Aleph 5 which should have had plenty of grunt at 60W of pure Class A), but the top end always seemed a bit restrained and closed-in on those amps to my ears. But it may just be a Pass thing.

The Quad 303 really brought the Snells to life in comparison.

Reading between the lines, I think those speakers get on well with valves and either Quad or something valve-based would be my recommendation.

They are about 90dB sensitivity, so not as efficient as some of the Audio Note designs, but they managed to fill my fairly large living room using the 303. For some reason, the Pass Labs less so.

I would try them with your Quads first Dom, as you may just find you won't get much more out of them on much else.

Reactions: Ian and DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have any experience with the well-loved Sugden, but all I will say is that over here, Class A solid state just didn't quite work with the Snells. Now that was based on a Pass Labs Aleph 3 (and for a time, an Aleph 5 which should have had plenty of grunt at 60W of pure Class A), but the top end always seemed a bit restrained and closed-in on those amps to my ears. But it may just be a Pass thing.

The Quad 303 really brought the Snells to life in comparison.

Reading between the lines, I think those speakers get on well with valves and either Quad or something valve-based would be my recommendation.

They are about 90dB sensitivity, so not as efficient as some of the Audio Note designs, but they managed to fill my fairly large living room using the 303. For some reason, the Pass Labs less so.

I would try them with your Quads first Dom, as you may just find you won't get much more out of them on much else.
Hi Karl having heard your Pass Labs amp it’s really interesting to read this comment.

Also thanks to everyone else. I think that maybe to be in the safe side as no demo will be available I will go with a Quad 303 or valve amp. I really want to keep my 909 for the P3ESRs.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dom, I will warn you that you probably won't find them quite as detailed and revealing as what you are used to, but the truth is (and notwithstanding my comments above about the Pass combination which should be taken within the envelope of 'still bloody lovely') that the Snells will take anything on the front end and sound enjoyable. They're just that kind of a speaker.

Reactions: DomT

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On power, the 7 or 8w Audion has plenty to give the Snells. You don't need lots of watts.

Reactions: DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A few comments, based on my ears, obviously.

1. The Puresound phono stages are IME a little 'flat', though accurate. They don't have the 'full bodied' sound of some alternatives. The A30 is almost the other end of the scale, though in triode mode the one I heard seemed a little loose in the bass department. Would probably be actually a good match with Snells though, simply for that reason.

2. I may be in a serious minority, but I'm not a great fan of the Sugden. I've had an A21se here and though I assume all the models vary somewhat, I found it just slightly 'unnatural' and tiring after a while. That's with Living Voice though, so YMMV.

3. IIRC, Snells (like ANs) have an impedance curve and load that should work ideally with transformer valve amps. Possibly less so with Class-A solid state. Something like an Oto ought to be an excellent combination, as should any PP valve amp. Single-ended valves also, though you may struggle a little with enough power with some, especially if you like to wind the wick up a bit.

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello everyone

I really like Audio Note speakers but have never owned any. On a punt I am buying a pair of Snell Kii speakers from @karlsushi I have a Quad 909 and Avondale Quad 405 that I could use (with a Croft OBH 22 passive or Avondale Quad 44). Karl actually recommended a Quad 303. I found this company that will effectively make a new on at a reasonable price https://quadrevisie.eu/quadrevisie.html#12

But I am wondering if an integrated valve amp like an Audio Note OTO or a class A Sugden or might be a better idea? (Heat will not a problem). Maybe there is a bargain in the classifieds or someone has something interesting to sell? Am only looking secondhand from known wammers or dealers.

This will be for a second system (streamer based) and so a budget up to £1500 or maybe a little higher?
I wonder how the Leak Stereo 20 would sound with them?

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
2. I may be in a serious minority, but I'm not a great fan of the Sugden. I've had an A21se here and though I assume all the models vary somewhat, I found it just slightly 'unnatural' and tiring after a while. That's with Living Voice though, so YMMV.
I had a 1980's A21a and that was great with AN and Impulse speakers the later blinged up one I also had, was much as Rabski describes, wearing and unnatural, forced and hifi sounding.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@DomT

The Sugden linked above is mine. Excellent condition, and just serviced by Sugden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles