Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Finally got there finished, tried and tested and surprisingly it works! Would have been so much easier to have bought the one I dithered about on an ad here a while ago.
Would never make a living from knocking them up, manage about 4 a year !!!
Reckon cost me about £220 all in. Used silver wire and the potentiometer is not cheap.
Four inputs one output. Remote control 10k TKD potentiometer. Quite an odd potentiometer due to being a ladder arrangement never seen one like it before. Anyway the thing words fine. Have attached a few pics of the finished product. Would have liked better labels/ engravings on front/rear panels but as is not going anywhere will do.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I am. I would like to compare it to other passives at some point. In theory should be capable of sounding well as there is nothing in the signal path other than silver wire, silver solder, and gold plated phonos.
The exception to this is the input selector switch, not a cheap one but not massively expensive so this is probably the weak link, if there is one. Only comparison I have is using my MF integrated as a pre.
If I can buy one or two reasonably priced passives in £500 region that would lend to a comparison.
If they are no better can always move them on,.

Last edited:
Reactions: greybeard

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have made one with silver wire (which I happened to have already) and used a genuine Alps blue pot. It always sounded good to my ears. But then I got a Hattor which uses a Khozmo pot, I have to say the improvement was startling, and no silver wire in mine!

Reactions: George 47

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I really need to have a comparison if only to settle in my own mind how this performs. I might have gone down the Khozmo route if I had not decided a remote was a must. A comparison between silver wire and thicker, because it's cheaper, copper might be interesting but I am not going down that route!

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I really need to have a comparison if only to settle in my own mind how this performs. I might have gone down the Khozmo route if I had not decided a remote was a must. A comparison between silver wire and thicker, because it's cheaper, copper might be interesting but I am not going down that route!
khozmo can also have remotes. I have one.

• Upvote

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes but way more complicated involving relays for the steps as in attached piccy. You can buy the relay board and all the gubbins to go with it. By then though the cost of making it is approaching the cost of a retail unit.

Attachments

• Khozmo_large_08.jpg
    Khozmo_large_08.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles