Origin Live Resolution II turntable and Illustrious 3c arm

U

User211

Looks good for £88 squids, Kev. Five pint safe - lest you fall on it, of course, at the 7-8 pint mark! :D

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stick it on a wall mounted shelf - then vibrations become even less of a worry - also as i say - use your own ears and if you like it, it is good, if you don't it isn't.

Can't say I have ever heard a turntable that sounded digital (unless the LP was a digital recording) - but like CD players they all have their characteristic sound. The bakeoff I would like to see is the original master tapes being compared to the LP being played then we would know which turntable was the most accurate - but there again would we like the most accurate? It all comes down to how we all think it should sound.

The most important thing is the music and does your kit make you want to play record after record and hate to stop listening. If it does it is a great system but if instead all you are listening for is the things that are wrong then something is missing. Do you avoid a concert at the Albert Hall because it doesn't sound as good as the Queen Elizabeth Hall? All hi fi is a compromise - so the guide to me is - does the music take me away or is something happening so much that it detracts from the music. if i am not detracted then nothing gets changed in the system.

Perhaps I am too easily pleased - but I have yet to hear any cartridge that delivers transients or realism like a Decca. Yes there are cartridges that track better and have more detail but to me realism is the key and any constriction on transients is not acceptable.

Where does all this rambling take me - back to where i have always been, use the things on the side of your head :) and the joy in this story is the original author did and to him it's lovely :)

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh I forgot to say - multiple motors is a load of bollox :) if the platter is of high mass the flywheel affect will keep it stable once it is up to speed :) also there is no advantage to DC over AC on the motor provided the power supply is correctly designed.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Kevin

You should have an email with a login for the reviews site. If you want to post this review there it would be great !

I'm happy to do it if you like.

Regards

James

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Have just seen and read this very well written review. I like your claim to be 'indigent' (sic) on an earlier post; pushes forward the yardstick for opulence somewhat, I feel !

Very interested in your comments re. the arm, as a Conqueror or similar 12" is currently being considered. O.L. have an interesting sales model, it seems; yet they also supply retail outlets. Not sure I can fathom the profit consequences of this...

KevinF

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2011
North Devon
AKA
As above
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...I like your claim to be 'indigent' (sic) on an earlier post; pushes forward the yardstick for opulence somewhat..
A fair cop, I think. It is all relative of course. I am massively less well-heeled than I was 6 years ago - but then as a self-employed person I am directly exposed to the chill winds of economic reality rather than sheltering among the ranks of the client-state employed and thereby cushioned. However, it's not a pissing competition. Nobody has it easy now, and peoples' circs. change with alarming speed.

Can you figure Baker's business model? Does it matter? Do I care, even? Be a man and make your own mind up about how it sounds!

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Can you figure Baker's business model? Does it matter? Do I care, even? Be a man and make your own mind up about how it sounds!
Robust advice indeed, Kevin. Having recently discovered that the Conqueror is NOT the top of the range and you're looking at a big margin ( esp. of VAT !) to get there makes me a little circumspect !!! Must be a back door somewhere.............

Chivas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Knebworth, Herts
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ahhh, what's not to like? In fact, you'll love it. And blame ghthang, not me!
You owe me a little more than £30 now! After several years of lusting, hmmming and ahhhming and reading your review 15 times, I finally took the plunge and bought the Resolution. Arrived yesterday and not much time to listen to it yet, but at this stage all I can say is WOW!!! I expected an improvement coming from a semi hotrod Techie 1210, but this blew me out of my chair!!

Once again thanks for a great review Kevin and helping to make it easier for potential, but hesitant buyers like myself. After hearing this deck in my own system with the Encounter 3C arm, I can say that your review was spot on and I couldn't have said it better myself. I am well chuffed! And she's a looker too, isn't she?

Ward

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2010
AKA
Ward
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to a small and very select club Mr.C, really pleased that you've seen the light Now just enjoy. :eek:j:

Chivas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Knebworth, Herts
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers Mr W. It's a club I am very happy and proud to be part of! Funny hobby this...last night I sat there, feeling content and thought, it cannot get much better than this! And this morning I found myself eyeing the Illustrious tonearm and Linear flow tonearm cable...I had to slap myself through the face to snap back to reality!! Like you said, now is the time so sit back and enjoy :rockin:

KevinF

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2011
North Devon
AKA
As above
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The recently announced upgrades to the power supply, platter and spindle on the Resolution II are well worthwhile. I had mine done a couple of months ago. They have made an already toe-tapping turntable even more rhythmical, and created even more bottom-end weight and resolution. Amazing how a few incremental changes add up to be so impressive.

Chivas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Knebworth, Herts
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The recently announced upgrades to the power supply, platter and spindle on the Resolution II are well worthwhile. I had mine done a couple of months ago. They have made an already toe-tapping turntable even more rhythmical, and created even more bottom-end weight and resolution. Amazing how a few incremental changes add up to be so impressive.
Stop it, I don't want to know!!

You're not talking about the upgrades made to the new mkIII are you, which I thought cannot be made to the mkII's? Mark said mine came with the latest PSU with the new regulators. I also went for the upgrade transformer, Mark reckoned this is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Man, let me tell you, it caused a bit of an argument with the other half, but it's been worth every penny!!

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had all three versions of the Illustrious and still using the 3c now.Cant help you out as the time span must be getting on for four years now since I upgraded to the 3C with a lot of kit changes as well.

However, I've never been disappointed with all versions of the Illustrious it betters the SMEV5 IMO and some reviewers, even in the mk 1 form.

An Excellent review Kevin, I was lucky enough to pick up an Illustrious Mk3 of the non carbon arm tube variety off the Wam a few years ago from a chap who couldn't get along with it because he felt the effective mass didn't suit the IO, mine is mounted on a Resolution classic MkII and although my partnering gear of a Benz MC3, Graham Slee and EAR 834P don't come close to your gorgeous AN gear, I absolutely agree that this combination definitely more than hints at your observations.

Has anyone else got an opinion of the Illustrious Mk3 versus the Mk3C?

Ward

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2010
AKA
Ward
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the input Ray, more than satisfied with what I have as the previous arm was an OL modified RB300

I've had all three versions of the Illustrious and still using the 3c now.Cant help you out as the time span must be getting on for four years now since I upgraded to the 3C with a lot of kit changes as well.However, I've never been disappointed with all versions of the Illustrious it betters the SMEV5 IMO and some reviewers, even in the mk 1 form.

KevinF

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2011
North Devon
AKA
As above
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...I've never been disappointed with all versions of the Illustrious it betters the SMEV5 IMO and some reviewers, even in the mk 1 form.
I agree. I think that the V is bettered by quite a few arms, some of them more costly, but I can also think of two costing less than £800 which show it a clean pair of heels...which is what?... a third of the price of a V?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles