Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I love the sound of my Oppo PM-3 cans. Excellent closed back sound for those isolationist times. 

But. Mine are less than a year since new earpads were fitted and already the thin pleather is cracking and flaking. Not impressed. At all. The headband had also already given up the ghost, and I've a zip up wraparound cover fitted. Looking online, this is not unusual. 

So, any suggestions for closed back planar magnetics at a similar used price (£200) that don't fall to bits after a few months of not very heavy usage? 

Classical music listening only. 

And no, I don't want them to sound like big Tannoys. ;)

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Certainly think finding something that sounds equal to or better closed back at your price point is going to be challenging. I've had my PM3 for maybe 5 years they get regularly used but are not my main pair and I've only needed to replace the ear pads and headband once in that time other than those know issues build quality is amongst the best out there.

Not planars but

Maybe take a look at the ATH-W1000X used they are around your price point. I really liked them when I had then think they were around £500 when new. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JANDL100

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm yes, good points, Jamie. 

It took me ages of trial and (mostly) error to settle on the PM3, quite remarkable sound/£. 

Perhaps I should just suck it up and get used to regular replacements of earpads. Maybe I have harsh hair or something. Mind you, with the rate at which my hairline is receding that won't be a problem for long! 

Reactions: JamieMcC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles