Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t know about you, but I find there are not enough hours in the day to access all my music and video sources of media. I am finding it hard to prioritize and figure out what to watch or listen to next.

I have access to music on my NAS, Tidal, DVD-Audio, SACD and BluRay discs, CD’s and Tune-in. I have video content on TV, Netflix, Apple TV+, internet, Apple news, and other distractions.

I have paid subscriptions but don’t always remember to watch them. For example, Tidal Netflix and Apple TV are infrequently accessed

I know this is a first world problem, for which I am grateful to have access

How do you manage your media choices and ‘access?

Last edited:
Reactions: Newton John

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JRiver Cloudplay lets me put playlists and lossless music on their server. I can access my and others playlists. JRiver pays licences. I don’t have to allow UPnP access to my LAN from the Net. Maybe paranoia, but I won’t let an Internet device initiate a connection to my LAN. Potentially Cloudplay could make my iPod redundant.

With no Internet music service subscriptions and not being a film watcher, my collection is music + spoken word. If I did nothing else, such as sleep, it’d take ~4 years to play it all. So appreciate the problem.

Cloudplay could help, but perhaps I should prune my Digital Juke Box, but can’t bring myself to press delete. Is my best avenue is put my favourites on a 2TB SSD and play it through?

Reasons why I disable UPnP on my ISP router are outlined in this blog. I have never looked at Roon security so its implementation may not have these risks. My preference for JRiver is I can customise it to work in a way that suits me rather than security considerations.

https://www.upguard.com/blog/what-is-upnp

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulssurround

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Paul,

you know that our libraries are of comparable size and that I strongly recommend ROON - but only after they have fixed the bug between LINN and ROON, have a look at: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ro...ssertion-error-ticket-in/184554/64?u=fschmeis

Cheers
Frank
Frank, I've had many frustrations with Roon over the years, but not quite as bad as you've experienced. It seems fairly stable at present apart from my ipad ocasionally losing connection with the ROCK NUC core for a minute or so. Fortunately this no longer interupts the music playing. I was dreading the upgrade to Roon 2.0. So far it's gone smoothly. Touch wood.

On reflection, Roon might not be so useful to Paul. I understand it doesn't support multi-channel with an Oppo. I have a second ROCK NUC as an Endpoint for multi-channel over HDMI. Having two ROCK NUCs brings further instabilities and disconnections.

Nevertheless, I've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time.

Last edited:

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t know about you, but I find there are not enough hours in the day to access all my music and video sources of media. I am finding it hard to prioritize and figure out what to watch or listen to next.

I have access to music on my NAS, Tidal, DVD-Audio, SACD and BluRay discs, CD’s and Tune-in. I have video content on TV, Netflix, Apple TV+, internet, Apple news, and other distractions.

I have paid subscriptions but don’t always remember to watch them. For example, Tidal and Apple TV are infrequently accessed

I know this is a first world problem, for which I am grateful to have access

How do you manage your media choices and ‘access?
How about finding someone who's spent his life going through the masses of music out there and selecting the best for us. Maybe this guy - Andy Kershaw Plays Some Bloody Great Records

I started downloading his podcasts and converting them to FLAC with dBpoweramp to play on my system.

Reactions: Paulssurround

fschmeis

Wammer
Oct 29, 2018
Germany, near FFM
AKA
Frank
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Frank, I've had many frustrations with Roon over the years, but not quite as bad as you've experienced. It seems fairly stable at present apart from my ipad ocasionally losing connection with the ROCK NUC core for a minute or so. Fortunately this no longer interupts the music playing. I was dreading the upgrade to Roon 2.0. So far it's gone smoothly. Touch wood.

On reflection, Roon might not be so useful to Paul. I understand it doesn't support multi-channel with an Oppo. I have a second ROCK NUC as an Endpoint for multi-channel over HDMI. Having two ROCK NUCs brings further instabilities and disconnections.

Nevertheless, I've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time.
believe it or not: the bug I was suffering is FIXED 😎👍😃🙂
refer to https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ro...ssertion-error-ticket-in/184554/69?u=fschmeis

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66