norma

wainwj

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2014
Will check my 140 when I next use it. Currently relegated out of the main system.
I've noticed the very slightest of hums once I think but nothing significant and I'm a fussy bugger.
Very happy with mine. Seen off many other amps.

Flachead

New Wammer
May 17, 2020
l also had hum on the 140 which I originally solved with an Audiolab DC blocker. I have recently changed to a Puritan PSM156 which maintains the reduction of hum to near inaudible level, but also brings a good overall uplift in sound quality. However, its taken nearly 3 weeks to show its true colours, I was ready to dump it (the Puritan) as it sounded harsh, thin and muddled. Very happy with it now…

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it does ,i think its mana audio .been doing it for bit but not the most active on social media !!! I did try an email but not reply ...however that was the same for audio analogue and schiit .perhaps folks dont look at emails anymore

Reactions: HouseElf

Faustusg

Wammer
Jul 1, 2021
Derby
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all, I have a quick question for Norma users. I am about to pull a trigger on a used Norma 140. My only concern is that it is about 8 years old but I am being assured that it is as good as new. I am a bit sceptical about such statements and the last thing I would like to do is to get it serviced soon after the purchase. Forgive me if I am being unreasonable but should I be concerned? What is your experience with Norma amplifiers in terms of longevity and reliability? Thanks and all feedback is much appreciated.

Flachead

New Wammer
May 17, 2020
Hi all, I have a quick question for Norma users. I am about to pull a trigger on a used Norma 140. My only concern is that it is about 8 years old but I am being assured that it is as good as new. I am a bit sceptical about such statements and the last thing I would like to do is to get it serviced soon after the purchase. Forgive me if I am being unreasonable but should I be concerned? What is your experience with Norma amplifiers in terms of longevity and reliability? Thanks and all feedback is much appreciated.
I’ve had mine just under 3 years, left on most of the time and no issues at all. I’ve also not come across anything online to suggest there are any issues.

One thing I would take care of though is to check how all the internal jumpers are set. You don’t want to be connecting an input to a line set as an output or a line level signal to an input set as direct to bypass the preamp. I’d make sure they were all returned to default (details in the manual) and go from there.

Blodger

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2011
Liverpool
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i see strictly stereo have a ex demo 140 , i wonder if they are still dealers for norma . i think they are

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/strictly-stereo-ex-demo-trade-in-clearance-offers.283282/
Yes - saw that, though it’s not showing on his eBay shop listings. Lee at Strictly is very good to deal with, and offers excellent advice and prices.
Not sure what is happening to dealers - Mana as mentioned in a post above is now the UK distributor, and the only dealership I could find with Norma listed is Analogue Seduction - like everything prices seem to have taken a hike, with the silver/black 140 at £6,700/6,950 respectively plus £600 for the phono board and £850 for the dac.
https://www.analogueseduction.net/integrated-amplifiers/NORMAipa140.html

Advice above on an 8 year-old 140 seems good to me - mine is nearly 5 years old and never missed a beat, in fact over time it’s improved if anything.

T-elmi

T-elmi
Wammer
Mar 7, 2019
Hampshire SO41
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to mention Jon at Ripcaster kindly changed an internal fuse in my Norma 140B under remote instructions from Christian the owner of Norma this week. The fuse-blow was my fault and showed that the protection circuits in the Norma do work.

Jon is a great guy to demo and deal with at his superb showroom at rural Checkendon near Reading.

Last edited:

TheGeorge

New Wammer
Dec 24, 2023
JHB, SA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello all. Glad to have found a Norma thread somewhere on the Internet. I have the SC-2 Pre with the PA-150 Power amp and love the combination on my Xavian Orfeos. My Pre also has the multibit DAC board fitted, which is very good indeed. Easily on par with my old Aqua la Voce DAC. (I like Italian equipment, haha.) The Pre is very flexible, with both active and passive mode. I prefer passive, though the active mode is more dynamic, if that's your poison. The Power amp is a 140wpc design, so same as the IPA-140. I've had Krell, ML, Accuphase, Manley, Marantz and others, but prefer the Norma combo for musical flow, even more than my old Sonneteer Alabaster, which I'll never sell either.

RoRi

New Wammer
Feb 12, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recall reading somewhere that one of the inputs on the 70b sounds a bit better than the others. I think no. three or four (from the left).
Does anybody have this experience?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.