Next build...Tanoy DC-based Metronome...?

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been pondering what to do that will be a bit different & potentially interesting for my next build. I've had a thought in the back of my brain for a while that some kind of TL might fit the bill, and I have to hand a pair of the Tannoy Autograph Mini drivers which are visually quite interesting (although have a somewhat "interesting" FR curve!). Browsing idly through the Ether I revisited the Frugal Horn website and came across The Metronome:

https://www.frugal-horn.com/metronome.html
The site gives a variety of dimensions for drivers of various sizes - all FR drivers and mostly Fostex, but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to adapt the idea for the Tannoy drivers assuming that they will fit (they are a bit deeper front to back than the Fostex of similar size). I'm sure they will need a bit of sub assistance, because they will likely roll off pretty fast below the driver's resonant frequency (90 Hz) but that is always do-able.

Anyone out there done the Metronome thing?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks interesting Tony. Some of the best imaging speakers I have heard have been 'thin pyramid' sort of shape.

Reactions: Tony_J

steve 57

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 7, 2008
east yorks, , UK
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
A couple of my friends designed that, it was Steve's design and him and Scott perfected it
There's a long thread on audio talk
Nice speaker

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no ability in this area but I really do love speakers that are a different shape . Presume most makers stick with rectangles because they are easier to mfg in large numbers . Reminds me a little of the Posslet speakers Nigel and Graham have .

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no ability in this area but I really do love speakers that are a different shape . Presume most makers stick with rectangles because they are easier to mfg in large numbers . Reminds me a little of the Posslet speakers Nigel and Graham have .
Yes, they will be a pain in the tits to build because the edges will need to be cut at slightly less than 90 degrees...great fun!

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A couple of my friends designed that, it was Steve's design and him and Scott perfected it
There's a long thread on audio talk
Nice speaker
That's interesting Steve...would they be up for offering an opinion on what dimensions would be appropriate for the Tannoy driver? I have measured the T/S params using DATS...

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been pondering what to do that will be a bit different & potentially interesting for my next build. I've had a thought in the back of my brain for a while that some kind of TL might fit the bill, and I have to hand a pair of the Tannoy Autograph Mini drivers which are visually quite interesting (although have a somewhat "interesting" FR curve!). Browsing idly through the Ether I revisited the Frugal Horn website and came across The Metronome:

[URL][URL]https://www.frugal-horn.com/metronome.html[/URL][/URL]

The site gives a variety of dimensions for drivers of various sizes - all FR drivers and mostly Fostex, but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to adapt the idea for the Tannoy drivers assuming that they will fit (they are a bit deeper front to back than the Fostex of similar size). I'm sure they will need a bit of sub assistance, because they will likely roll off pretty fast below the driver's resonant frequency (90 Hz) but that is always do-able.

Anyone out there done the Metronome thing?
Some interesting saw cuts involved in that column 😱
A good use for radial arm saw I acquired earlier this year …..distance between us through makes a loan difficult.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thinking of the construction a ‘nice’ bevel joint with an internal reinforcing fillet would be good. External inserts would be good too and add a degree of design too

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some interesting saw cuts involved in that column 😱
A good use for radial arm saw I acquired earlier this year …..distance between us through makes a loan difficult.
I have a table saw and a sliding mitre saw so I'm all set - just a matter of drawing it all out so I know what angles, etc. But thanks for the offer!

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thinking of the construction a ‘nice’ bevel joint with an internal reinforcing fillet would be good. External inserts would be good too and add a degree of design too
Indeed...needs a tad of thought before I start cutting timber. May do a quick and dirty MDF build of one speaker just to figure out the problems.

steve 57

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 7, 2008
east yorks, , UK
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'll contact Steve and Scott Tony, which drivers are they ?

That's interesting Steve...would they be up for offering an opinion on what dimensions would be appropriate for the Tannoy driver? I have measured the T/S params using DATS...

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll contact Steve and Scott Tony, which drivers are they ?
Thanks Steve. It's the 4" dual concentric driver used in the Tannoy Autograph Mini - the DATS printout is shown below which gives the T/S parameters for the midbass cone.
IMG_20221005_232431.jpg

Reactions: steve 57

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just measured the Tannoy driver - the back is somewhat bulkier and deeper than the FE108 so it won't fit the cab as drawn - the driver's depth from the back of the front flange to the tweeter terminals (which stick out at the back unfortunately) is 78mm, compared with 65mm for the Fostex. I would need either to build in a "power bulge" on the back of the cab or double up on the front thickness. The latter is probably the best solution I think. IMG_20221009_154944__01.jpg

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Double thickness front would be the best option …helping damp out any vibration from the chassis through the baffle

you could make a ‘feature’ of this bevelling the edges which would also aid any diffraction issues too

i think a test build in ‘cheap’ mdf etc is a definite requirement

thinking laterally though ….maybe a power bulge on the front baffle would work as long as the internal face of the baffle is suitably radiused to allow a good pathway fir rear cone air movements

Last edited:

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thinking laterally though ….maybe a power bulge on the front baffle would work as long as the internal face of the baffle is suitably radiused to allow a good pathway fir rear cone air movements
Yes - that might work well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online