Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Wow this group are just fantastic, ILL Concieved

Hope you don't mind me pointing out but the band is ILL CONSIDERED but totally agree with your assessment of them. They've just released their 8th LP so it's an expensive job keeping up but I've found the quality of their pressings a bit iffy at times. Well worth trying to see them live or failing that check out their "Live at the Total Refreshment Centre" LP.

Reactions: Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2017
Newcastle Upon tyne
AKA
Barry (Baz)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hope you don't mind me pointing out but the band is ILL CONSIDERED but totally agree with your assessment of them. They've just released their 8th LP so it's an expensive job keeping up but I've found the quality of their pressings a bit iffy at times. Well worth trying to see them live or failing that check out their "Live at the Total Refreshment Centre" LP.
My bad had a brain freeze,  i don't know where that band title came from. :doh:

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Release schedule is up and running after Christmas and the New Year.

First up is this very limited pressing of one of the finest LPs ever released on the Strata East label. If you have even a passing interest in jazz then buy this and impress your less hip friends. 

119376840.png
Great recommendation thanks, first play today and thoroughly enjoyed it  :)

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ultra-talented pianist Ashley Henry released his debut 2LP today. If you liked his Ashley Henry's 5ive and Easter EPs then you'll love this.

711fgzQ-XML._SS500_.jpg

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Release schedule is up and running after Christmas and the New Year.

First up is this very limited pressing of one of the finest LPs ever released on the Strata East label. If you have even a passing interest in jazz then buy this and impress your less hip friends. 

The track titled ‘John Coltrane’ is a homage, maybe even a greatest bits pastiche of the man’s music, but has to be one of the most downright enjoyable 5 minutes in the whole Jazz canon. The motif, the build and release, the chanting! - fantastic track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sgt Pepper

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
A couple of newly released jazz nuggets worthy of your hard earned.

BBE's Volume 2 compilation of Japanese jazz. Will be in my top 3 compilation albums of the year for sure.

CS739224-01A-BIG.jpg

Following his homage to King Tubby era reggae with the excellent "Sounds Almighty" Nat Birchall returns to his jazz roots with this musical tribute to Yusuf Lateef. 

CS740234-01A-BIG.jpg

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My favourite new jazz releases from 2019 in no particular order:-

1. Polyhymnia - Yazz Ahmed

2. Driftglass - Seed Ensemble

3. Ironside - Ruby Rushton

4. State of Flow - Ishmael Ensemble

5. Blume - Nerija

6. Fyah - Theon Cross

7. Abstractions of Realities Past and Incredible Feathers - Binker Golding

8. The Storyteller - Nat Birchall Quartet

9. Be Known Ancient/Future/Music - Ethnic Heritage Ensemble

10. Bedroom Tapes - Ebi Soda

Reissues of the year:-

1. Glass Bead Games - Clifford Jordan Quartet

2. Charles Tolliver and His All Stars

3. Spirits Known and Unknown - Leon Thomas

4. Live at I.U.C.C. - Horace Tapscott

5. Cat - Hiroshi Suzuki

Compilation of the Year

J Jazz: Deep Modern Jazz from Japan 1969 - 1983 Volume 2

Honourable Mention 

Blue Note "Tone Poet" series. Brilliant sound quality and packaging.

Reactions: szczemirek

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
"Peace Treaty" by Nathan Davis was originally recorded in Paris in 1965 and cut for the tiny SFP label. It's a high quality mixture of soul jazz and modal styles and French label Sam Records has just re-released it. Remastered from the original stereo master tapes and pressed on 180gm vinyl by Pallas in Germany this is one of finest sounding jazz (or any other for that matter) LPs I own - the sound quality is insanely good. A limited run of 2000 so don't hang about of you want one. 

Nathan-Davis-510x510.jpg

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If you're not averse to 7" singles then the Wallen Bink label in association with Saba/MPS has just released a series of four limited edition "audiophile" 45s all analogue mastered at Abbey Road Studios and pressed at Pallas Group, Germany. Sound quality is excellent as are the pressings. A bit on the expensive side but I'm such a sucker for stuff like this.

CS834742-01A-MED.jpg
CS834740-01A-MED.jpg

CS834744-01A-MED.jpg
CS834745-01A-MED.jpg

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have only just found this thread...(its an age thing)  Sure I will find some new & interesting stuff to listen to.

Should mention that if the "out there" folk are interested, that there are 2 Newish Sun Ra releases that imo are of his best remastered efforts. Done with real care.  I like the  Exotica album the best & there is also one called The Space Age Is Here To Stay which focuses on mainly vocal cuts featuring June Tyson.  The artwork is great on both Lps reminding me of the early sci-fi mags.  Marvellous.     :)

27B575CE-C105-4928-8E18-1AB0FEBA5F50.jpeg

54021266-3043-4BAA-9682-2841A6731161.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Have only just found this thread...(its an age thing)  Sure I will find some new & interesting stuff to listen to.

Should mention that if the "out there" folk are interested, that there are 2 Newish Sun Ra releases that imo are of his best remastered efforts. Done with real care.  I like the  Exotica album the best & there is also one called The Space Age Is Here To Stay which focuses on mainly vocal cuts featuring June Tyson.  The artwork is great on both Lps reminding me of the early sci-fi mags.  Marvellous.     :)
And also this "deluxe" 4 LP box set re-release of Lanquidity on the Strut label and probably one of the more accessible examples of Sun Ra's oeuvre.

unnamed-2.jpg

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your right there, cos if folks ask about Sun Ra or I recommend him to someone, I point them to Lanquidity first & maybe the mixed compo by the DJ I cant remember right now   :)   I will certainly be checking out Idris Ackamoor.  M.

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Your right there, cos if folks ask about Sun Ra or I recommend him to someone, I point them to Lanquidity first & maybe the mixed compo by the DJ I cant remember right now   :)   I will certainly be checking out Idris Ackamoor.  M.
That'll be the Gilles Peterson compilation from 2017 and there was a similar Marshall Allen one from 2014 both on Strut.

Reactions: garn63

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Not music related but the fashionable amongst you (I know there aren't many but anyhoo 😋) may be interested to know that Uniqlo are selling a rather stylish range of "Blue Note" inspired t-shirts for the princely sum of £12.90 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles