My hifi journey, where I think I'll head next and my end game

chris5

New Wammer
Oct 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My hifi journey started almost 40 years ago and although I've have 5 or 6 systems one the years, and a number of brands have come and gone (Arcam, DCS, ATC,
Dynaudio, Accoustic Energy, Rotel plus a few I've forgotten) I've learned over this time that my taste in musical reproduction always come back to Naim amps

I know this won't be to everyone's taste, and that's fine, we all like different things but having reconciled these thoughts and thinking about retiring in the next 10 years I know that my end game will be something in the middle of the naim pre/power ladder, though probably 10-20 years old when I purchase it

This makes my end game relatively straight forwards amplification wise, though the front end is open to some question and will only firm up as time and funds allow to make purchases however, it will almost certainly be cd based with some sort of streamer as a music sourcing backup.

The question I can't answer currently is what speakers I'll end up with. I started out with an old pair of Celestions in the mid 80s but discovered Linn Kans shortly afterwards. Since then I've dabbled with many different speakers including a wonderful pair of active ATC but I always end up back with a pair of Kans as they just do it for me musically

I currently have a pair of these speakers on the end of a CD, NAC72,HICAP, NAP140 and they just do it for me but I know that these speakers are at least 20-25 years and won't last forever, though my current pair are marks ones so probably nearer 30 years old and still going strong (fingers crossed)

I know many Kans lack in many areas, they aren't the last word in dynamics or bass reproduction but I find the presentation appealing and so, the reason for my post, can anyone suggest speakers whihc may have a similar presentation style but are a little younger so a pair will happily age with me oover the next 2 or 3 decades?

I'm not constrained with space so stand or floor standers are fine and I wouldn't say budget is limitless but I can save for the right pair so speakers so am open to any and all suggestions at the mo

Thanks

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try and audition some Neats. I've heard the Neat + Naim combination a few times and it always seems to work musically.

Reactions: hiesteem

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are literally dozens and dozens to choose from.. some very nice speakers in the classifieds you could demo.. if you are local to other Wammer’s many will let you go and listen to many possibilities,
Whereabouts in the world are you ???

chris5

New Wammer
Oct 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try and audition some Neats. I've heard the Neat + Naim combination a few times and it always seems to work musically.
Thanks, yes, I’ve seen a few people using Tab10s…..

chris5

New Wammer
Oct 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are literally dozens and dozens to choose from.. some very nice speakers in the classifieds you could demo.. if you are local to other Wammer’s many will let you go and listen to many possibilities,
Whereabouts in the world are you ???
I’ve tried a few alternatives such as ATC SCM7 and 11s, 2 or 3 dynaudios, Elac, and a few others but, as you say, there are many many alternatives out there

I’m based in the uk, north west

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For small standmounts you can’t beat Alchris Audio , they are based up Wakefield way I think .
Cracking speakers at very competitive pricing ..

Reactions: Tony_J and hifinutt

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I wanted to move on from Kans (on the end of Linn amp, LP12 etc) I spent many hours at Doug Brady and Chris Brooks (back in the 90s) comparing them to whatever they had. I couldn't find anything that had the presentation of the Kans, everything else seemed slow, overblown etc. In the end, Brady's got fed up of me saying 'no' to everything they could offer and Chris Brook's offerings of Keilidhs or whatever else he had were no good to me either. In the end I opted for a pair of Sara speakers, which were very good, but eventually I reached the speakers I aspired to which were Linn Kabers. They had everything the Kans had, but also had bass (IMHO). Eventually, I saw (heard?) the light and moved away from Linn.

Good luck in trying to find speakers that do what Kans do but better, mind you there are a lot more new speakers out there now than there were when I was looking.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a thought - have you ever heard Naim's own speakers, the Ovator? Again, probably a bit "Marmite" but obviously meant to be a match for their own amps, and you may like the presentation.

chris5

New Wammer
Oct 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a thought - have you ever heard Naim's own speakers, the Ovator? Again, probably a bit "Marmite" but obviously meant to be a match for their own amps, and you may like the presentation.
Thanks for the idea, but Yes, I didn’t include the SBL/IBL s that I’ve had at home or the ovator I’ve heard in demos to be fair thoigh. Of those it would the SBLs that I’ve enjoyed the most, like a kan with extra low down muscle. Occasionally pairs of SBLs stayed and at times I’ve had these with Kans, swapping back and to

However I worry they face the same limited lifespan and stocks of replacement parts are long gone

Reactions: Jules_S

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay this is a little difficult as I have to admit up front that I do not like Linn Kann speakers and not much of a fan of Naim amplifiers either . So all things being advised are to listen to given my slant on your current faves .

Now the only Linn Speakers I really like and own are a pair of Linn Sara 9,s and as passive speakers they are great fun but not what I would ever describe as accurate . having said that i have owned them for a more years than I care to remember . About five years ago after being introduced to the joys and amazing sound active speakers offer I had to take the plunge and make mine active .

Now I openly admit that I do not have the skill or dexterity and patience to remove the drivers from the Sara,s and then take the crossover out . I paid someone to do that all the rest of the digital cr etc I could do myself and the result is frankly wonderful . All the fun of the original but with just more of everything and above that speed of notes stopping and starting that makes active so addictive . Now rather than you trusting me on this I will have my full active Sara system at the Wam show by all means come and listen .

I would say that an active pair of Sara,s would work for you but with lots more bass . Now drive units on the Sara and the Kann will last far longer than you think and if correctly driven (as in active) will last for many years with no issue at all .

My next suggestion is do for the Kanns what i have done for the Sara,s make them active . They will retain all that you really like but just more . If you search around i am sure you can find a decent used pair that you can work on while leaving your current pair as they are . MiniDSP Flex 4 is a very good unit for doing the digital crossover and you can add Dirac Live if you want some DSP as well . Using your current Naim for Treble duties you could then buy some larger power Naim amps to handle the bass and you are flying .

Other than this the only speakers I can think off which might appeal are AE 1 but I think they might be a little too aggresive .

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it was me for my end game it would be
Find the speakers I loved the best and spend a fortune if you have to (that is what I did with my Art Impressions)
Find the power amp that drives the speakers the best to your ears (with Arts it could just be a Sugden A21 intigrated)
Find the Preamp that gives you the sound you want with all the inputs you need.
Choose the sources you need choosing your ears.
If it was me the Kan would be off the list but if I had to have a small standmount then KEF REF 101 OR 102 mk1s would be on my list but my favourite although a bit bigger would be the Radford Tristars probably one of the best medium sized stand mount speakers ever made (they pack a punch too being a 3 way with a 12 inch bass unit in a small speaker) or a Pair of IMF super compact 3 ways.
As to Amplifiers PLEASE audition Sugden, Prima Luna and many others as well to make sure it is really a Naim that you want.

Last edited:

chris5

New Wammer
Oct 31, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that the point is being missed by some folks that chris5 loves his Kans, and wants that sort of presentation.
Cheers, yes, was always a bit of a shot in the dark but with so much choice out there and so many active forum members I'm preetty sure someone somewhere will have a steer on a contender or two

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles