ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is like having the Spring, the D2, the Bartok, the Aqua, etc all at your fingertips.
That's quite some statement!
Mac
To be fair Mac, it's an educated guess. But I stand by the prediction. A Myriad of filters and sample rates should, theoretically, be able to provide a listener with a nearly unlimited selection of flavors.

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
To be fair Mac, it's an educated guess. But I stand by the prediction. A Myriad of filters and sample rates should, theoretically, be able to provide a listener with a nearly unlimited selection of flavors.
You’re saying I should keep the moon😅😳🤔

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
this is the second review I watch of this guy. An weather its payed promotion or not I like the way he put an explain it

Look around 23.30 (an it what I tested with @ChemMan ) you replace the May by the spring an the Denafrips Terminator by D2

Wel that says it, wel it's kind of my personal feeling

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Totally agree with you an @ChemMan, Spring is at this moment the best for the buck...
Is it as good allrounder that I need? Don't know yet.

the advantage on my paper
- close to the PL in sound
- Don't have the have the Technical issues of the PL
- More less the same price point as the PL

Cons
- hard to find (cons I mean)
- maybe a little to uncontrolled in the low
- maybe a little to colored an warm on some recordings
- In case of a problem support is 2.5hours away (no dealer in Belgium)

Biggest question for me
is it as good allrounder

So yes at this point it's my nr 1

May or scala or even T&A 200 really need to nok my sock's of to more less double the cost

Than you know how it is, how much better is it for you an what is that worth for you ... that is something I will have to decide, an you know reason could be far away in those décisions
Sometimes we need more than one type of presentation depending on the genre or recording. I remember hearing Lurch’s CDP vs DAC and whilst they are both amazing I would choose them for differing reasons the CDP for acoustic or jazz and the DAC for R&B and funk. Great to have both in the same system.

• Upvote
Reactions: Roby79

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
this is the second review I watch of this guy. An weather its payed promotion or not I like the way he put an explain it

Look around 23.30 (an it what I tested with @ChemMan ) you replace the May by the spring an the Denafrips Terminator by D2

Wel that says it, wel it's kind of my personal feeling

What he says is very consistent with everything else I have seen.

I do think (as GoldenSound said in his review), that comparing OS with NOS is like comparing Apples and Oranges.

As @ChemMan has highlighted previously, having genuine NOS, with the option of HQPlayer for Oversampling, gives you the option of both presentations, from the likes of Holo.

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Yes I'm planed to try that out

But I if I looked it up right hq software is +- 300€ an no trail period

I will buy it anyway
only thing make me hésitant I'm not fan of hooking up a nuc or laptop or even Mac in my livingroom system

I had a quick look an I think you need to connect it directly to the dac for HQ player to work

but my curious mind want to try it :)

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I will buy it anyway
only thing make me hésitant I'm not fan of hooking up a nuc or laptop or even Mac in my livingroom system

I had a quick look an I think you need to connect it directly to the dac for HQ player to work

HQ do have 30 day trial but only 30 mins per day.

Last edited:

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I will buy it anyway

However......My advice is to wait and see until everything else is in place - as you then may not feel the need for it.

The secret is to have the ability to do it down the road, if after living with the system for a while, you feel something is still missing on some music.

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
However......My advice is to wait and see until everything else is in place - as you then may not feel the need for it.

The secret is to have the ability to do it down the road, if after living with the system for a while, you feel something is still missing on some music.
True, an every thing will be done by August 15 (work on the AMS, New Rack, only the additional marble stones will only be there around september but that's more esthetica)

Doesn't mean I can't get on the read see what's out there... even it's sometimes disappointing, it's mostly learn-full an fun

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
- maybe a little to uncontrolled in the low
- maybe a little to colored an warm on some recordings
In my view, this might have more to do with the rest of your system but ultimately if you don't intend to change amplification or speakers then I agree that in your system and room these are downsides.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Spring goes to DSD 1024
And yet it performs best at DSD256 according to Jussi Laako.
He does excellent community service by measuring and listening to many (mostly NOS) DACs and then proposing the ideal DSD or PCM settings for that particular model. And of course HQ Player being so customisable it is possible for the end user to choose whatever he prefers.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my view, this might have more to do with the rest of your system but ultimately if you don't intend to change amplification or speakers then I agree that in your system and room these are downsides.
I would say it's a mixture of the room and the recording....and probably more room than recording.

The AMS 35i is not smooth and laid back, but very dynamic, engaging and natural.....but it does produce considerable bass punch, which could be triggering problems in the room.

His speakers are very detailed and certainly not warm and overly bassy.

whitehart

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2011
East Sussex
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
AKA
Mac
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, that would be a nightmare... all those permutations would end up blending into one
It was like that with the RME ADI2, great DAC for the money, but way too complex for little old me.
Would the Spring be able to replicate the dCS ring DAC?
Mac

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can listen to HQ Player trial for 30 mins and then restart, for the rest of your life.
There's no limit of XX mins per day or a limit of XX days.
There is according to some users. I don't understand your comment, so it is free then?

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, that would be a nightmare... all those permutations would end up blending into one
It was like that with the RME ADI2, great DAC for the money, but way too complex for little old me.
I agree that the RME settings menu is unnecessarily complex and the manual a complete nightmare but with HQ Player as a file player I just have to set the RME in 'Direct DSD' mode and set the ouput gain level to suit my system.
HQ Player handles the EQ and the upconversion to DSD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles