My digital journey

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cno, I need to look back at my posts about my DAC search on PFM, but two things I do know it was an Aqua and it had a valve... re the build quality, the only way I can describe it, it felt like the unit was half empty and resignated when lightly tapped... I have just looked back on my PM's on PFM and I can confirm it was in fact the La Scala, but the previous model from the one you have been promoting.
Mac
Thx Mac - So much kit; so hard to remember! 😁

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No

So yes this is about the spring 2. Around 12min he says Something interesting about a reveling or bright system

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So yes this is about the spring 2. Around 12min he says Something interesting about a reveling or bright system
Sure he does, but who cares? He heard it on his system which is not yours. We sat there for at least two hours listening to the Spring and neither of us thought it sounded bright, rather the opposite -- warm. I read reviews, but I'm always skeptical.

The Spring was the only piece of kit I've bought without a demo, but as mentioned, I had the two week window for a return. I bought it based on the opinions of two Wammers rather than reviewers.

I'm of the opinion that I don't care how good the May is, it's not twice as good as the Spring and it is nearly twice the price. Of course the law of diminishing returns applies here as well.

Ultimately, given you are in the computing business, I'd say this is all moot. You get the equipment to build an upsampling server based on Qobuz and HQ player, which is still cheaper than a Pulse, and then you have the the best of all worlds. A nice sounding NOS DAC that up-samples to near infinity. It's like having multiple DACs. €5K and finished.

Last edited:

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'm of the opinion that I don't care how good the May is, it's not twice as good as the Spring and it is nearly twice the price. Of course the law of diminishing returns applies here as well.
can't be ;-)

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sure he does, but who cares? He heard it on his system which is not yours. We sat there for at least two hours listening to the Spring and neither of us thought it sounded bright, rather the opposite -- warm. I read reviews, but I'm always skeptical.

The Spring was the only piece of kit I've bought without a demo, but as mentioned, I had the two week window for a return. I bought it based on the opinions of two Wammers rather than reviewers.

Ultimately, given you are in the computing business, I'd say this is all moot. You get the equipment to build an upsampling server based on Qobuz and HQ player, which is still cheaper than a Pulse, and then you have the the best of all worlds. A nice sounding NOS DAC that up-samples to near infinity. It's like having multiple DACs. €5K and finished.
You have always kept your eyes on "The Prize" and taken a very logical, methodical and scientific approach to getting there. You don't really get distracted by "What ifs".

It has been my view from the start, that Pulse/Spring is the sweet spot of "Sound per Pound". In order to spend more, you have to be getting something that "Blows this combination out of the water".......otherwise - as you say - you are spending twice the amount, for a small increase in performance.

Now, spending more to get extra versatility, that allows your Source to better meet your needs/mood, can be worthwhile.

The more I think about it - the more I believe that @Roby79 ideally needs a solution that allows a smoother, more Organic presentation for some music; and a more forward and exciting presentation on others.....like in that GoldenSound review of the May, where he can use NOS and HQPlayer (and like you were highlighting above).

The above approach stops you having "Buyers Remorse" on the type of approach you have taken and thus worrying about what you are missing.

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
It has been my view from the start, that Pulse/Spring is the sweet spot of "Sound per Pound". In order to spend more, you have to be getting something that "Blows this combination out of the water".......otherwise - as you say - you are spending twice the amount, for a small increase in performance.
Totally agree with you an @ChemMan, Spring is at this moment the best for the buck...
Is it as good allrounder that I need? Don't know yet.

the advantage on my paper
- close to the PL in sound
- Don't have the have the Technical issues of the PL
- More less the same price point as the PL

Cons
- hard to find (cons I mean)
- maybe a little to uncontrolled in the low
- maybe a little to colored an warm on some recordings
- In case of a problem support is 2.5hours away (no dealer in Belgium)

Biggest question for me
is it as good allrounder

So yes at this point it's my nr 1

May or scala or even T&A 200 really need to nok my sock's of to more less double the cost

Than you know how it is, how much better is it for you an what is that worth for you ... that is something I will have to decide, an you know reason could be far away in those décisions

Last edited:
Reactions: whitehart

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
May or scala or even T&A 200 really need to nok my sock's of to more less double the cost

Than you know how it is, how much better is it for you an what is that worth for you ... that is something I will have to decide, an you know reason could be far away in those décisions
This is where - if possible - you need someone with you to "Keep you grounded" and confirm what you are hearing.

Demoing should be fun and not stressful....and having (knowledgeable) company, makes the whole experience less intense.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cons

- maybe a little to uncontrolled in the low
- maybe a little to colored and warm on some recordings
needs a solution that allows a smoother, more Organic presentation for some music; and a more forward and exciting presentation on others....
Exactly. Roby, the computer hardware part is child's play for you, and the learning curve on HQ player software is probably going to be a lot less for you than others. There are literally tens if not hundreds of combinations to filter and upsample. The Spring goes to DSD 1024!!! And even more on regular Hz.

This is like having the Spring, the D2, the Bartok, the Aqua, etc all at your fingertips. And it eliminates the need for the streamer as the computer is your "Pulse" and is controlled via your laptop or other. I needed simplicity because I'm always moving and did not want to put myself through the three weeks of stress with learning the software bit. @tuga and I had a number of PMs about this and I trust him that this is the best way to get the best sound for your tastes.

• Upvote
Reactions: newlash09

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Exactly. Roby, the computer hardware part is child's play for you, and the learning curve on HQ player software is probably going to be a lot less for you than others. There are literally tens if not hundreds of combinations to filter and upsample. The Spring goes to DSD 1024!!! And even more on regular Hz.

This is like having the Spring, the D2, the Bartok, the Aqua, etc all at your fingertips. And it eliminates the need for the streamer as the computer is your "Pulse" and is controlled via your laptop or other. I needed simplicity because I'm always moving and did not want to put myself through the three weeks of stress with learning the software bit. @tuga and I had a number of PMs about this and I trust him that this is the best way to get the best sound for your tastes.
The title of this thread included the word "Journey"......and that is exactly what it is.

With an open mind, a willingness to try different options and take on board the very interesting ideas from people on here.....you can end up somewhere totally unexpected. That IMV is a good thing, as you are more likely to arrive at the correct destination.

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
The title of this thread included the word "Journey"......and that is exactly what it is.

With an open mind, a willingness to try different options and take on board the very interesting ideas from people on here.....you can end up somewhere totally unexpected. That IMV is a good thing, as you are more likely to arrive at the correct destination.
I'm sure I will find what I'm looking for, being here helps proces. It also help to understand what I hear feel when trying something new
The thing is I force my self to take the time to test all this, like I did with the AMS, but to be honest patience is not one of my best characteristics

ok pretty strange if you look at the path I followed trough HIFI choices (on the other hand my mind want's it asap 😂 so I force my self to give it time an make a well thought décision )

But back in the days The AMS was the best I heard that I could affort (well not really back in the days it was way to expensive but took the hit, didn't know how I was suppose to do it, but I did. My big question was not the price of the AMS, but the fact at this level every other piece in the link would be pricier.
Where I'm now? Well I past that question, I mean power is in place, cables are all decent ... I can provably say it's all top an does it mean something or not respecting the price synergy)

In those days the AMS, was that little better than all the rest... ( Sugden, Acuphase, Lavardin, McIntosh...) an it hase that almost tube tember, but stay's fast an play's G&r, led zep, linkin park...an lot of other things I sometimes listen to
without blinking
So yes Alex's system is smoother on jazz an vocals ; better (Jadis 50 A + SF Guanari memento) but not by far.
But on all mor 70' Rock or even synth pop the AMS is is so good... a true allrounder

Last edited:

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But back in the days The AMS was the best I heard that I could affort (well not really back in the days it was way to expensive but took the hit, didn't know how I was suppose to do it, but I did. My big question was not the price of the AMS but the fact the of this level every every other piece in the link would be pricier, where I'm now? Well I past that issue, I mean power is in place, cables are all decent ... I can provably say it's all top an does it mean something or not respecting the price synergy)

in those days the, it was that little better than all the rest... an it hase that almost tube tember, but stayed fast an play's G&r, led zep, linkin park...an lot of other things I sometimes listen to
without blinking
So yes Alex's system is smoother on jazz an vocals (Jadis 50 A + SF Guanari memento) but not by far. But on all mor 70' Rock or even synth pop the AMS is is so good... a true allrounder
Back then, I was really familiar with the 35i - so I could give first hand advice. This time, I haven't heard any of the stuff you are looking at, so I am relying on what I can research and then giving general thoughts. This is fine provided you go out and do the listening.

The other big difference, is a decade ago, it was mostly me giving advice......but now, there is a whole Wam Collective at your disposal, with skillsets that I can only dream of. Sometimes when @tuga starts getting all technical, I feel myself nodding along - until I realise I haven't an effing clue what he's talking about.

When it comes to Digital jiggery pokery, I am in the Luddite section of the crowd.

Last edited:

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Back then, I was really familiar with the 35i - so I could give first hand advice. This time, I haven't heard any of the stuff you are looking at, so I am relying on what I can research and then giving general thoughts. This is fine provided you go out and do the listening.

The other big difference, is a decade ago, it was mostly me giving advice......but now, there is a whole Wam Collective at your disposal, with skillsets that I can only dream of. Sometimes when @tuga starts getting all technical, I feel myself nodding along - until I realise I haven't an effing clue what he's talking about.

When it comes to Digital jiggery pokery, I am in the Luddite section of the crowd.
My technical understanding of network is quite good ( as a network engineer) so no problem setting up Roon rocks ( witch I don’t like) or using or implement hq player. But know what al the functions are or what they for filters etc I have a lot to learn
Dac, chips, sample rate’s…. Heu … but Ian happy to learn an try to read to learn

whitehart

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2011
East Sussex
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
AKA
Mac
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

This is like having the Spring, the D2, the Bartok, the Aqua, etc all at your fingertips.
That's quite some statement!
Mac

Reactions: Roby79

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online