Question Musical Fidelity?

A question.

shcliff_30

New Wammer
Dec 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good evening,
I have owned an MF M6 Encore 225 for a few years now and I understand that since MF was taken over by Project, the software for ripping and storing CD's on its internal hard drive will no longer be supported. Every now and then, if I try to rip a CD, the metadata that is imported does not match the CD and it says that the tracks being ripped are different to those on the CD itself (although the original tracks are as per the original CD and can be played).
Has anybody else come across this problem - and is their a known way of ensuring that when the player goes online to pull down the metadata, it is the correct data to support the music actually recorded on the source CD?
Any assistance that anybody can give would be greatly appreciated.
PS - I am not decrying Project here, I do not believe thay have inherited the tools to be able to update and/or support the original software, when they took over MF, (or that is what I am told).

shcliff_30

New Wammer
Dec 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to all who have posted on this thread - I see there is quite a bit of reading and catching up to do, but overall the flavour of the threads I have seen as a result of your responses, does not look to be too positive. Many thanks again, your responses and information is appreciated!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to all who have posted on this thread - I see there is quite a bit of reading and catching up to do, but overall the flavour of the threads I have seen as a result of your responses, does not look to be too positive. Many thanks again, your responses and information is appreciated!
Where are you I wouldn't mind having a play with it to see what can be done. Although that would be dependent on it being able to be programmed like a Vortexbox I'm not sure if MF have included the necessary ports and software permissions.

Edit: this is what Henley said so it's unlikely:

We actually use a RaspberryPi and an ethernet cable to remote boot to a copy of the build server for rebuilding Encores. So' it's not a publicly available tool / image you might find out there on the interwebs.

Last edited:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So as a responsible and caring company given the MF are doing a Pontius why do they not release a copy of the image so either Techs or the owner can try to get their not inexpensive paperweights to function as they should . I thought this was being addressed in the right to repair act ?

shcliff_30

New Wammer
Dec 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Where are you I wouldn't mind having a play with it to see what can be done. Although that would be dependent on it being able to be programmed like a Vortexbox I'm not sure if MF have included the necessary ports and software permissions.

Edit: this is what Henley said so it's unlikely:

We actually use a RaspberryPi and an ethernet cable to remote boot to a copy of the build server for rebuilding Encores. So' it's not a publicly available tool / image you might find out there on the interwebs.
I did take the player to Deco Audio in Aylesbury. These guys are very good and know their stuff -(I am sure they would not mind me saying so on here either). I understand that Deco Audio have been recommended or appointed by Henley Audio to assist (if they can) with any older bits of MF kit that they themselves cannot support. I guess this includes older or 'more difficult; bits of kit, or problems that Pro-Ject cannot help with since their takeover of MF. I
Deco Audio cannot find anything intrinsically wrong with the kit and suggested that the issue I am having may simply be related to the software -which we know is no longer supported and of course, audio engineers may not necessarily be able to fix (unless they are also software engineers).
I suspect that until somebody comes up with a software patch and a way of installing the same into the Encore, those of us who have them and whom encounter issues caused by glitches in it are stuck.

shcliff_30

New Wammer
Dec 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So as a responsible and caring company given the MF are doing a Pontius why do they not release a copy of the image so either Techs or the owner can try to get their not inexpensive paperweights to function as they should . I thought this was being addressed in the right to repair act ?
I guess the issue here is, from what I am told, that when Pro-Ject took on MF, the necessary tools/know-how etc., may not have found its way int the hands of Pro-Ject as the new owners. This would leave both Pro-ject and MF in its current form in a position where they may be willing to service legacy products, but are prevented from doing so due to not having the requisite intellectual property, licences, spares, or expertise. It is not ideal of course, but any prospective actions that anyone is considering taking under consumer law and regulations must be balanced against the likely cost of bringing the same to court, likely chance of recovery of costs and the likely possibility that in such circumstances, (and if such claims were successful or otherwise), We would still have unreliable pieces of kit. What we really want is a fix - and it appears that with the best will in the world, if Pro-ject/MF do not have access to the essential elements needed to provide any such fix, they will never be in a position to be able to provide what is required.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So that then comes back to what I said if they are able to get access via a Pi with an image on then release the image to confirmed owners . There are lots of really switched on Linux and other systems experts who enjoy the for them fun and challenge of getting things working and stable . Just look at what has been possible with Logitech Media Server and volunteer support . If you do not have the skills then let others who do give it a try .

Reactions: Lawrence001

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I changed the root password in my Liv Zens to get into the software and upgrade then so my plan was to try the same here. It's just whether you can first get into Linux on them to do this.

alby

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2007
Hill, South Gloucestershire , UK
AKA
Antony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all , as an MF encore owner/sufferer , I can say that the poor support for the encore occurred long before project got involved , I sense that the product was launched without an understanding of the amount of effort required to maintain such a product.

Reactions: shcliff_30

shcliff_30

New Wammer
Dec 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As for the original question , re incorrect metadata meaning that the ripped disk had incorrect album and track descriptions, I ended up correcting the tracks manually , cut and pasted from discogs usually.
That is a potential option Alby - would you be happy to share how to do this?

alby

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2007
AKA
Antony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately my Encore is dead and needs a hard disk reset(as discussed in the MF owners thread) , and a three week trip to Henley beckons , so I am not able to check it still works , but I was able to see the encore through an app on my laptop, and used this to copy and paste album artwork and music data , in the same way that you can drag and drop music, but I am not sure that this functionality still works - other owners may be able to advise.

shcliff_30

New Wammer
Dec 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear that Alby - I hope that Henley can put things right for you, or possibly Deco Audio. Henley Audio do recommend them too.

Is the app on your laptop the MF app accessed via Google chrome (i.e the encore.local one?)

alby

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2007
AKA
Antony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear that Alby - I hope that Henley can put things right for you, or possibly Deco Audio. Henley Audio do recommend them too.

Is the app on your laptop the MF app accessed via Google chrome (i.e the encore.local one?)
Yes it is , but I had to access the internet explorer browser to get the album details from discogs for example and drag and drop or copy from there.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the Hard Drive on the Encore able to be seen as a network drive ? If it is then there is software that will read your library and show the errors and it's suggested corrections .

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Never a fan os such a products, I use db power amp but there to it mismatch album titels songs art etc

Love the M6 btw was on my list for a while

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles