Musical fidelity Encore 225

novtom

New Wammer
Jan 4, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, I am not able to add shared folder. I have 3 linux machines with samba, they together nicely work, but Encore 225 can't see any folder in any computer. Does anybody know here, what to do? Restart didn't help. Ideal to ssh there and restart samba in command line, but I don't know the pass. Is known or not? Thanks

Snímek obrazovky 2023-01-04 v 19.32.22.png

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure what you mean but I reset the root password in my old Zen so I could upgrade it. I can tell you how I did it if you want to know.

But try this first in case it's default Vortexbox.

userid root (if needed)
pw vortexbox

novtom

New Wammer
Jan 4, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
root/vortexbox not working :-(. I wanted only to try to login via ssh there and see settings of smb-conf and restart smb service. But without pass I am not able to do that

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
yes good news i did not see the update, only when i went into the app on my phone

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Have you heard the announcements on BBC Radio 3 about streaming Radio and if your listening to this on a streaming service. You will not be able to listen to this broadcast from 2023 . I wonder if this effects our encore? Does anyone have any more information what the changes are?

since writing this i found

Shoutcast is an older streaming technology and many connected radio devices in the UK no longer use it for BBC streams. Ending support for Shoutcast will enable us to focus on the two most popular technologies currently used – HLS and DASH. As well as delivering better value, it will allow us to understand more on how our content is consumed. This forms part of our strategy for BBC Sounds and is important to help us improve the services we offer to our listeners.

Last edited:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Then just use BBC Sounds which will continue to be supported for at least the near future .

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think this is BBC Sounds, BBC are withdrawing one of the technologies supported by BBC Sounds to enable those with older devices to use it. In this case it sounds like LMS uses Shoutcast to stream the signal, which will no longer work later this year.

This isn't the first time the BBC have done something like this. They also (or did) stop iPlayer working on older devices. They said they couldn't promise users would get the full quality service the BBC wanted to provide.

This amounts to a policy of not providing a service to poorer and older people who can't afford, or don't want to, keep buying new devices. Plus there's the environmental impact.

Their remit as taxpayer funded broadcaster should be to maximise the number of people who can see/hear their content. They're not Netflix although they seem to want to be.

novtom

New Wammer
Jan 4, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, I am not able to add shared folder. I have 3 linux machines with samba, they together nicely work, but Encore 225 can't see any folder in any computer. Does anybody know here, what to do? Restart didn't help. Ideal to ssh there and restart samba in command line, but I don't know the pass. Is known or not? Thanks

Snímek obrazovky 2023-01-04 v 19.32.22.png
Hello, problem is that Vorterbox works only with SMB1, but I have all setup to SMB2 and SMB3 protocol. Now it is working.

Reactions: Lawrence001

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you heard the announcements on BBC Radio 3 about streaming Radio and if your listening to this on a streaming service. You will not be able to listen to this broadcast from 2023 . I wonder if this effects our encore? Does anyone have any more information what the changes are?

since writing this i found

Shoutcast is an older streaming technology and many connected radio devices in the UK no longer use it for BBC streams. Ending support for Shoutcast will enable us to focus on the two most popular technologies currently used – HLS and DASH. As well as delivering better value, it will allow us to understand more on how our content is consumed. This forms part of our strategy for BBC Sounds and is important to help us improve the services we offer to our listeners.
I've looked into LMS and it seems the BBC Sounds plug-in is compatible with HLS or DASH so it still should work when old technology is withdrawn.

Reactions: wHIZZY and old Guy

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I connected my Encore To my Imac. So I could have the full functionality of audio Through my Encore. What I Did was i used a Tos Link cable and Adapter at the Mac end .
for those who just may not know. The Headphone socket of an Imac. is also a Digital output. Cleverly buried inside the socket there is a Toslink output. I used this to connect my encore Digital Toslink input. Works fine. Have spotify and Sound for the youtube videos I watch.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I connected my Encore To my Imac. So I could have the full functionality of audio Through my Encore. What I Did was i used a Tos Link cable and Adapter at the Mac end .
for those who just may not know. The Headphone socket of an Imac. is also a Digital output. Cleverly buried inside the socket there is a Toslink output. I used this to connect my encore Digital Toslink input. Works fine. Have spotify and Sound for the youtube videos I watch.
Another option is a Google Chromecast, if the streaming functionality becomes obsolete, a discrete disc behind the amp can give you much of it back.

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I Love listening to Essential Classics on BBC radio 3 every morning
I notice this morning it had gone from the radio channels i find it on
every morning. Is it just me?

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Last edited:

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just recently my MF encore seems to be loosing its touch. Even Forgetting seem everyday have to pull out the plug to reset it. seem to be doing this twice a week
somethings not right. I think it has PC dementia

• Sad
Reactions: Lawrence001

alby

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2007
Hill, South Gloucestershire , UK
AKA
Antony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just recently my MF encore seems to be loosing its touch. Even Forgetting seem everyday have to pull out the plug to reset it. seem to be doing this twice a week
somethings not right. I think it has PC dementia
Just to keep life entertaining , my MF Encore is also playing up , for some reason it is not “seeing” the hard disk , I have sent some screenshots to Henley and am awaiting a response from MF. I am a little concerned that it might be fatal.

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just to keep life entertaining , my MF Encore is also playing up , for some reason it is not “seeing” the hard disk , I have sent some screenshots to Henley and am awaiting a response from MF. I am a little concerned that it might be fatal.
good call Alby: go to Dave Brown direct at Henley you might get the responce you need davidbrown@henleyaudio.co.uk

For what its worth: I totally gave up on using the built in hard drive. Reason Being I made a lot of compilation albums for walking around with my phone.

The encore does not like these does not see them if they do they will not recognize them for what they are. So i use a Nas drive and no problems playing anything.

Last edited:

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
good call Alby: go to Dave Brown direct at Henley you might get the responce you need davidbrown@henleyaudio.co.uk

For what its worth: I totally gave up on using the built in hard drive. Reason Being I made a lot of compilation albums for walking around with my phone.

The encore does not like these does not see them if they do they will not recognize them for what they are. So i use a Nas drive and no problems playing anything.
It probably relates to the metadata in the files, if you copy individual tracks from album folders they will retain the original album name in the metadata and any player will think they are individual 1 track albums rather than a compilation.

You can set up playlists to do this, or use something like MP3tag to change the album names to whatever you want to call each compilation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online