Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one of these

I have the corresponding Cirrus-Logic dac hat and it's all in a smart plastic case:)

I normally run the pCP OS with Logitech Media Server.

Recently I invested the cost of a bottle of wine to play Spotify for a few weeks (research purposes :p)

I wondered to myself about installing Librespot, so I had a go.

It took a while; building Librespot took eleven and a half hours :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (a rpi4b takes 30 minutes or so)

This morning I did the configuration and voila ici !

The purpose of this post is to demonstrate that one does not need "all shiny and new" for entertainment, just patience and the ability to copy and paste ;)

Older raspberry pi can be found cheaply and make an excellent way to explore "streaming" at minimal cost (plus the loss of a lttle hair :(). Also a possible project to maybe involve "de yoof" :sneaky:

Last edited:

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is that the original Pi? I was given one free a while ago but I haven't got round to flashing an SD card yet. I think it's got a Hat hopefully an SPDIF one. I'll check out the best software do you have a recommendation?

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is that the original Pi? I was given one free a while ago but I haven't got round to flashing an SD card yet. I think it's got a Hat hopefully an SPDIF one. I'll check out the best software do you have a recommendation?

I think there was a model previous but I bought this pretty soon after they became available, so certainly one of the early pi.

It does run slower than the modern pi, obvs.

Librespot is running on the raspberry PI OS Bullseye Lite (I expanded the swap file to make the build easier).

pCP makes a good player.
I use mine with its own LMS as a stand-alone headphone player.
I disable the surplus Plugins and use only the ones I need.

The first pi had linear power supplies on the board (y) ;) :cool: but I don't remember where they are located.

ronnie

Last edited:

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Takes me back to 2014; at the time you had to recompile the Kernel to use the Wolfson Audio board - IIRC this took about a day.

E5F0F673-6CEA-4B25-A3C8-8439B47B6C93.jpeg

I didn’t think much to the analogue output from the Wolfson board but MPD playing FLAC files into a DACMagic via S/PDIF was indistinguishable from the CD original. This seamed a bit of a revelation at the time.

5065721D-D82B-42A8-B207-4DA3877D4AB0.jpeg

twinpot

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2016
What was the reason for not using the in-built “Spotty” plugin on LMS?

I use the Spotty plugin on my Pi4 running pCP/LMS. In the main system I have a Pi3B running Ropieee XL connected to a Quad Vena over USB. LMS can be directed to play via the Pi3B for my local music.

For an easy to setup and use streamer that supports Airplay, Spotify Connect and Squeezelite, RoPieee XL is excellent and very stable.

Last edited:

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ropieee is platform specific. It only works with Pi3/4 and their CM3/4 equivalents. It won't work with anything as old as Pi or Pi2 devices. I'm an avid Ropieee user but this isn't where its strengths are.

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What was the reason for not using the in-built “Spotty” plugin on LMS?

I use the Spotty plugin on my Pi4 running pCP/LMS. In the main system I have a Pi3B running Ropieee XL connected to a Quad Vena over USB. LMS can be directed to play via the Pi3B for my local music.

For an easy to setup and use streamer that supports Airplay, Spotify Connect and Squeezelite, RoPieee XL is excellent and very stable.
Well, just for fun :p :) I don't use Spotify very much these days, but I like to "keep my hand in", every now and then :rolleyes:

RopieeXL is not a favourite of mine, in the past I found the setup procedure convoluted and not "beginner" useful.

It has developed, but seems less configurable than ever (and it uses the same Librespot and Shairportsync builds that are available to Moode, Volumio and LMS)

However, if I wanted a Roon endpoint on a raspberry pi, it would likely be my go to.

Enjoy!

ronnie

Reactions: twinpot and Gizza

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online