Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I would say its definitely not a competitive environment, its about the banter, comararderie, friendship .... 
Very much this. I didn't exhibit at Kegworth this year but have done so at past Scalfords and part of the fun is being involved with a bunch of like-minded individuals in a hobby that many "normal" people can't fathom.

On the subject of "best in show" posts people have always shared their post show thoughts on what they thought sounded good. Look back at the past Scalford threads. I was lucky enough to get some mentions in dispatches but it wouldn't have bothered me at all if nobody commented. If your raison d'etre of exhibiting at Kegworth is to see how many "likes" you get then you're missing the whole point of the show.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ian, my raison d'etre was not to achieve 'likes' at the Show; and I dont say that. You are putting words in my mouth.

My point is about equality and fairness. In the post mortem threads people are making qualitative judgements about the systems not on a proper basis. (Either they havent given each room an equal opportunity, or the music played is different in each room they visit, or they have focussed on one format over another (say vinyl over CD), or they may have got tired by the end of the day etc etc..)

In my view those people venturing opinions should supply the necessary caveats e.g., 'I didnt get a chance to visit all the rooms, but of those i did these were the highlights for me..etc'. In a way I'm making an academic point about how to write a fairminded review.

I think the standard of the post mortem threads could be improved and judgements made more relevant e.g., by having different classes of systems designated in the programme. These would be a guide for paying customers to get a handle on the relative 'sound per pound' abilities of the system.

There's a golden opportunity here to make valid comparisons by bringing your own CD or record and play it in every system that interests. Nobody does it, despite me recommending it every year.

Of course I know that valid and rational comparisons are best made at your local bake offs (ive been to a few! and staged one official one besides many off the cuff private ones) but it doesnt follow that we cant do a bit better at Kegworth.

And neither does it mean   that because I am raising these issues, I, therefore, view the WHOLE event as a competition. I, too, enjoy the conviviality of the show and meeting up with old friends. (Not to mention getting wellied on setting up day..) After all, the post mortem threads have been like this for years and I still keep coming with my system. Ive never achieved a high proportion of 'likes' so my reason for coming to the show time after time cant be to accumulate them.

Maybe the Wam show 'is what is'. But that's never been a motto of mine.

Jack NSM

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ian, my raison d'etre was not to achieve 'likes' at the Show; and I dont say that. You are putting words in my mouth.

My point is about equality and fairness. In the post mortem threads people are making qualitative judgements about the systems not on a proper basis. (Either they havent given each room an equal opportunity, or the music played is different in each room they visit, or they have focussed on one format over another (say vinyl over CD), or they may have got tired by the end of the day etc etc..)

In my view those people venturing opinions should supply the necessary caveats e.g., 'I didnt get a chance to visit all the rooms, but of those i did these were the highlights for me..etc'. In a way I'm making an academic point about how to write a fairminded review.

I think the standard of the post mortem threads could be improved and judgements made more relevant e.g., by having different classes of systems designated in the programme. These would be a guide for paying customers to get a handle on the relative 'sound per pound' abilities of the system.

There's a golden opportunity here to make valid comparisons by bringing your own CD or record and play it in every system that interests. Nobody does it, despite me recommending it every year.

Of course I know that valid and rational comparisons are best made at your local bake offs (ive been to a few! and staged one official one besides many off the cuff private ones) but it doesnt follow that we cant do a bit better at Kegworth.

And neither does it mean   that because I am raising these issues, I, therefore, view the WHOLE event as a competition. I, too, enjoy the conviviality of the show and meeting up with old friends. (Not to mention getting wellied on setting up day..) After all, the post mortem threads have been like this for years and I still keep coming with my system. Ive never achieved a high proportion of 'likes' so my reason for coming to the show time after time cant be to accumulate them.

Maybe the Wam show 'is what is'. But that's never been a motto of mine.

Jack NSM
I think you are attempting to make far more out of the show than there is to be made. There isn't an issue about equality and fairness - all exhibitors get to do their own thing, for whatever reason they may have, which is about as fair and equal as you can get. I thoroughly enjoyed showing systems at 2 shows that cost me less than 4 figures and which played sounds that at least some of the visitors said sounded good to them - at no time did I feel it remotely unfair that there were other rooms where you could add a zero or two on the end of the price - quite the contrary, to me it completely affirmed the approach I have taken. 

Attempting to police how people report their experiences at the show seems to me to be completely laughable - good luck with that. Wammers will do what we do. The expression "herding cats" springs to mind.

And yes, some do indeed carry CDs etc. with them so they can get to compare systems more relevant - I did this myself last time I went to Scalford. So that must make me a nobody I suppose...  :dunno:

• Upvote
Reactions: greybeard

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As Kegworth was my first Wam show I have nothing to compare it too so al I can comment on is how that was. I enjoyed the whole thing ( including the having no sound etc emergencies) and most of all like getting to meet and listen to other equipment when I could (I exhibited on my own so aside for Saturday night this was curtailed a bit ) .

I do not think we need to change too much but as I only had a digital system and the iffy nature of the Wifi made it hard to change and switch music because of this I really wanted  visitors to bring their own CD,s so they could play whet they wanted . Only a couple at most did which is a shame and would really encourage anyone to bring at least one or two . Every room I spoke to seem very happy to paly whatever was presented .

If we can get the Wifi issue sorted for next year then that will make the whole thing so much better as I have thousands of songs that can be played and would be only too happy to let visitors man the controller and switch away .

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMHO cats are much easier than wammers 

evaluating systems on the basis of price will never work as so many of us have bought 2nd hand, I'd say leave pricing systems to the retail / trade shows
I agree, as unlike professional reviewers, Wammers are not trained to or being paid to talk bollocks, so are free to express themselves as they see fit. Long may this continue, as a heart felt comment from a grateful, happy show visitor whether directed at you or not means we have put on a good event, which is what it's all about at the end of the day. 

• Upvote
Reactions: Maverick

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
most years somebody (or three) suggests some changes. The normal response, and one I agree with is, did you find it broken? No, good, then don't bloody mend it.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beyond the name badges for willing visitors, I wouldn't tinker with the event. 

We have an excellent venue and feedback was excellent. Without snow, I would be surprised if visitor numbers were not significantly improved.
having 2x different name badges when sharing a room with another wammer would be an improvement  :cool:

most years somebody (or three) suggests some changes. The normal response, and one I agree with is, did you find it broken? No, good, then don't bloody mend it.
this 

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I seriously do think Oldius is right on one thing if the weather had not conspired against us the attendance would have been very much higher and possibly even the best. I was very touched and surprised at just how many people did turn up and then just got on with having a great time . The venue was very good and every room I heard had managed to get a really good sound , very few I spoke to were unhappy with what sound they could deliver which is the must as these are our systems and we know how they should sound . After that if others do not like them then nice to get some feedback but nothing we can change. 

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
TonyJ : I should have said that I had advised the SAME cd or record to be brought by everyone or for the exhibitors to have the same one in order to help making comparisons. Of course I'm aware that people bring their own to the show. A slip...

I dont like your term 'policing' what wammers write. I am offering suggestions as to how things could be improved and reasons why they count as improvements. Im not a copper.

I can see that my suggestions have not been well received. Fair enough.

Jack NSM

G

I have been in the game of hifi for quite some considerable time now . In fact probably too long and hence can be quite dogmatic in my stance . When a Wam show comes up i can look at the systems and know which ones are going to tick my box . Ricks system , AdamK, Mavericks etc but the most fantastic thing about the  show is I do the rounds and walk into a room and wow a 180 degree happens . This year it was Spiders room and then walking into Audioflyers room and the lovingly restored JBL's which i could have spent all day listening to. Not sure that a best in show fits in with my ideology where the Wam show is concerned 

Brigadoon

Requires Adult Supervision
Wammer
Feb 20, 2015
Stroud
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm back folks, rebooted and upgraded. Brigadoon 2.0  (everyone runs & hides) :D

Apologies for the slightly Off Topic post, but this seems to be the most active post- Kegworth thread.

Firstly, thanks all for your kind words when we had to pull out at the last minute. Mrs Brigz and I feel exactly the same, and were really looking forward to catching up and sharing a wee dram or more. 

Secondly, congrats to all on what looked like an amazing show. I could only bring myself to read the threads/look at the pics a week ago.   :cs: The rooms looked awesome and I think it's a testament to the spirit of the show that as many people turned up in spite of the weather.

Needless to say we are gutted to hear about Harrogate :cs: , but this has steeled our resolve to exhibit at Kegworth 2019.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online