Michell

Balle Clorin

Wammer
Nov 23, 2020
No , not going to, I rather have sorbothane or some rubber for damping . 🧲 levitation will create wobbling I suspect.

33na3rd

New Wammer
Nov 4, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Speaking of Sorbothane, I removed the 30 Duro Sorbothane that I applied to the chassis of my Gyro in post #3005.

I could add/remove the Sorbothane and change the tonal balance of the Gyro. I managed to get it to a point with great articulate bass and sweet highs, but the midrange was missing, sounding a bit V shaped.

I had ordered the new Sorbothane after placing some 25 year old Audioquest Sorbothane pucks on the Gyro chassis with nice results. I put the Audioquest pucks back on, and the sound improved again. Much more balanced sounding than the 30 Duro. The Audioquest pucks seem to be somewhere between 30 & 40 Duro. They are approximately 25mm wide, so they hang over the edge of the chassis a bit. They are ugly, but they sound good so I'll let them sit there for a bit.

I think that the 30 Duro is too soft, but I haven't clue what the correct Duro would be. I'm not sure if there's something special about the Audioquest pucks, or if it's just a happy accident. I'm leaning towards happy accident.

Last edited:

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No , not going to, I rather have sorbothane or some rubber for damping . 🧲 levitation will create wobbling I suspect.
A good point on the potential for wobble as I understand that maglev isolation can have a low damping factor. Also, I don’t see a resonant frequency figure quoted for the Michell feet, nor any other similar maglev products - knowing this would give a much clearer idea of how they might compare to other types of isolation.

HiFimanDan

Hi-Fi man Dan
Wammer
Sep 17, 2016
Essex
AKA
Dan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone. This year I’m planning to convert my Orbe to an Orbe SE. I have everything to do this as it was supplied when I bought it but, I’m looking for a Perspex cover for it once done to keep the dust of it. Can anyone recommend where to get one from and the correct dimensions needed. Yes, I could buy the Michell one but, I’m not keen on the shape or the price (man they are pricey).

Thanks,

Dan.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone. This year I’m planning to convert my Orbe to an Orbe SE. I have everything to do this as it was supplied when I bought it but, I’m looking for a Perspex cover for it once done to keep the dust of it. Can anyone recommend where to get one from and the correct dimensions needed. Yes, I could buy the Michell one but, I’m not keen on the shape or the price (man they are pricey).

Thanks,

Dan.
Hi Dan, I’ve not used them personally, but this firm was mentioned several times here, and so I saved them in my eBay favourites.

I believe they’ll custom design it, so you can, for example, choose the size and position of any cutouts, to run wires and provide a hand-hold.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/prdisplays

Hope that helps.

Beyond you

Tuesday Music Night’s Est:1978
Wammer Plus
Feb 4, 2013
Hants
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Thanks,

Dan.
Hi Dan

Unfortunately the company I ordered my cover from no longer exists, however I found this site where you can spec your own requirements. I ordered mine online and requested a tint in colour instead of clear acrylic, slots either sides to lift the cover, and cable slot at the rear.

My cover dimensions:

520mm wide
420mm Deep
200mm High
5mm thickness acrylic
Cable slot 300mm length x 20mm high

https://www.tielo.co.uk/turntable-covers.html

IMG_0388.jpeg

Good luck

Regards
Matt

Last edited:

Beyond you

Tuesday Music Night’s Est:1978
Wammer Plus
Feb 4, 2013
Hants
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Dan

Unfortunately the company I ordered my cover from no longer exists, however I found this site where you can spec your own requirements. I ordered mine online and requested a tint in colour instead of clear acrylic, slots either sides to lift the cover, and cable slot at the rear.

My cover dimensions:

520mm wide
420mm Deep
200mm High
5mm thickness acrylic
Cable slot 300mm length x 20mm high

https://www.tielo.co.uk/turntable-covers.html

IMG_0388.jpeg

Good luck

Regards
Matt
This is the company i ordered my cover from, they must of changed their name? Originally called Plasticsonline.

Anyway they also provide examples of cut outs

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 08.38.25.png

HiFimanDan

Hi-Fi man Dan
Wammer
Sep 17, 2016
Essex
AKA
Dan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys,

Looks just what I’m after, I will look into this this afternoon and get something ordered.

HiFimanDan

Hi-Fi man Dan
Wammer
Sep 17, 2016
Essex
AKA
Dan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another question,

Has anyone tried an Orbe or Gyro on a Townshend Audio seismic platform???

Saw the pics of Beyond You’s Gyro on isolation and that’s got me thinking. I always thought they needed to be on something solid.

Thanks,

Dan.

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
Another question,

Has anyone tried an Orbe or Gyro on a Townshend Audio seismic platform???

Saw the pics of Beyond You’s Gyro on isolation and that’s got me thinking. I always thought they needed to be on something solid.

Thanks,

Dan.
Bare in mind the existing support design. If you load up a lossy one for example,putting a heavy extra layer,would work against the intended design.
I’ve found Michell decks work best on wooden racks with minimal mass extra isolation.

UpInTheAir

New Wammer
Nov 7, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Gyro chassis and belt can ring vigorously at 100-200hz. Good belt quality, talcum , groove choice and belt tension can reduce it. I can visually see my belt vibrate if the set up is not optimal, or belt missing talcum
It is quite obvious to me that dampening the chassis is a good thing, even if I have postponed doing it .. Capture.JPG
I've read this thread on vibration attenuation in the Michell chassis. But it leaves more questions than answers. For example, I see this chart and wonder where it was measured, and what it really says about the chassis. The peaks in signal at 3kHz and others are interesting, what are they? Further, what has Michell published or said about unwanted chassis vibrations that need to be attenuated? Does anyone know?

Moreover, a lot of work has been devoted to Michell's efforts to dampen the chassis, using a butyl product they market in the UK called DensoDamp. Unfortunately that product cannot be purchased in the US, the Michell importers here will not even respond (answer email or pick up the phone) to requests for information or quotes.

This has caused a few of us in the US to find alternatives. I know one other poster, @33n1/3rd, here who has tried several butyl options, and them all unsuitable. This Gyro owner is resorting to other methods and materials, notably Sorbothane, to attenuate unwanted vibrations in the chassis. One finding he's made is that its easy to over dampen the chassis, essentially killing the mid-range. This discovery means to get this right using Sorbothane, one has to know the durometer to use 30, 40, 50, 60, or 70. What thickness to apply, 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2". Sorbothane is available in strips with these various parameters. But what is idea? That is the great mystery.

I've been trying to understand the technical documents for Sorbothane, a very good vibrationn attenuating material. My thinking is use a 1/4" thick 36" long sample of say 50 Duro, cut it into long 1/4" wide strips and install it just as DensoDamp has been installed. Only I'd need to use a very thin layer of an adhesive such as Lexel to hold it in place. Lexel is a super elastic sealant with superior adhesion. A very thin layer is adequate.

My thinking, also aided by experience of another poster, if to use this material around the chassis near the oil bearing, to basically attack that source of vibration. And then to use it on the chassis nearest the armboard to address that potential source of vibration. But again, this potentially leads to significant experimentation.

That is why I pose these questions. I'm wanting to learn from others. If anyone is in a position to shed light on this, I for one would be delighted to hear from you. I'd rather just listen to records and not have to fuss with this, but I believe my chassis is causing issues that I'd just as soon rectify sooner rather than later.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarzan

Balle Clorin

Wammer
Nov 23, 2020
I cannot see why any vibrations are preferable. Damping should be good, why would the Orbe use it is not?. A singing chassis may add colorations somebody may like, but all chassis vibrations will have an influence, less vibration must be better. But dampng a vibration can lower the level but will probably broaden/shift the range it is in, may be that is what some people do not like

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 0

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To set VTF on my J A Michell badged Hydraulic Reference turntable is an interesting endeavour due to the 6 large gold platter weights on the plater surface, it involves a spacer on which sit the digital stylus scale there is a small depression 0.5mm with a spot in a circle where the stylus/tracking weight is calculated, after 51 years of use initially with an SME mechanical scale. I use a digital Vernier gauge to ensure the depression & thereby the dot on the digital scale is record surface height, at the recommended 2 grams tracking force (VTF) the very slight movement of the scale plate means the dot height is close to grove depth.

gwernaffield

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
May 27, 2012
north wales
AKA
pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i have started on a new motor pod , for the gyro , it is to be made from Bronze , it also will use a orbe motor , and be over 3kg in weight , with Michell Now only using a distributor for there products , i just could not afford the prices, i have an orbe Gen 2 Controller , and a orbe , platter , it is all the parts of an orbe but with out the motor pod, with michell having a distributor for there parts it may mean prices are going to be high , a case for the gyro around the £750 mark and a chassis £1024 , the platter kit upgrade is nearly £900, etc , if the difference is only the motor , and the psu , and platter , i can go back to it being a gyro , or a orbe,

Last edited:

HiFimanDan

Hi-Fi man Dan
Wammer
Sep 17, 2016
Essex
AKA
Dan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, does anyone know the length of the cable between the power supply and motor on the Orbe??

Mine is the latest spec if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles