Linn Owners

Mesh network + Linn ds1

chrisinlondon

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All

New to Linn but cant wait to get it all setup.

Just purchase da Linn ds1- However, I am struggling to see it on my wireless network.

The ds1 is plugged straight into my router.

I have google mesh network

Is there a way i need to configure the router/mesh network to see the Linn ds1 on the network,.

Any help would be amazing

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, and welcome the Wam!

What are you looking at determine whether you’re connected?

It‘s hard to recall exactly where to start, but have you got a Linn account set up? Go to Manage Systems here: Linn.co.uk

And you need a control app like Kazoo or the Linn Ap.

I‘m sure it has been set out here recently but I need to go look!

chrisinlondon

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I got the Kazoo app and Konfig desktop app- however both can see the Linn ds1.

I am trying to set it up for the first time. Buts its not showing in the Linn app.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I got the Kazoo app and Konfig desktop app- however both can see the Linn ds1.

I am trying to set it up for the first time. Buts its not showing in the Linn app.
Ok, well Kazoo will suffice for now. What source are you playing, e.g. Tidal? (Trying to play!)

What type of DS1 is it? Majik, Akurate, Klimax?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think you need the web account to log in to the Linn app, but I can’t recall for sure. It’s a few years since I first set mine up, but to reassure you I did it all myself with a secondhand Sneaky DS, and I’m not techie!

chrisinlondon

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So a little update.
So when i plug the linn Majik DS -1 directly into the mesh devices I can see it on my kazoo app.

However, it when i plug it into the router or hub it cant see it. So 90% sure its an issue that my devices when on the mesh run on one ip and when the streamer is plugged into the router it runs on another

any suggestions

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So a little update.
So when i plug the linn Majik DS -1 directly into the mesh devices I can see it on my kazoo app.

However, it when i plug it into the router or hub it cant see it. So 90% sure its an issue that my devices when on the mesh run on one ip and when the streamer is plugged into the router it runs on another

any suggestions
This sort of issue has been discussed recently. See "Similar threads" below. Your control device (in my case, iPhone) and the DSM need to be on the same network. Plugging the DSM into the router will not allow access by the DSM to the network used by the control device. Mine is connected; Router > mesh base > network switch > DSM.

Reactions: quinn_t

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This sort of issue has been discussed recently. See "Similar threads" below. Your control device (in my case, iPhone) and the DSM need to be on the same network. Plugging the DSM into the router will not allow access by the DSM to the network used by the control device. Mine is connected; Router > mesh base > network switch > DSM.
yes, one of the google mesh devices, the one that hooks up to the router, is the dhcp server.
the router may just act as a dumb modem, or it may also act as a dhcp server. In the case, the OP will need to disable the dhcp server functionality of the router.

Last edited:
Reactions: uk030 and akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes, one of the google mesh devices, the one that hooks up to the router, is the dhcp server.
the router may just act as a dumb modem, or it may also act as a dhcp server. In the case, the OP will need to disable the dhcp server functionality of the router.
In my situation, I thought that had been tried when the ISP disabled the wifi function of their modem/router. It still didn't solve the problem. Everything needed to be connected downstream of the mesh (eero) network base. I'm not a computer/network person, so I yield to everyone on this subject.

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my situation, I thought that had been tried when the ISP disabled the wifi function of their modem/router. It still didn't solve the problem.
Disabling the router wifi is not the same as disabling the dhcp functionality. Ideally, you want the router to behave like a modem. Otherwise, you would have 2 subnets in the house.

uk030

DSM guy
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Berlin, Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is why I manually assigned my kit a fixed IP address in the correct subnet. DHCP is great for "guests" on your network, but the "regulars" like the Linn, your NAS, and your CP will benefit from having a fixed IP. Plus, you don't have to do guesswork to find it out, e.g. to ping it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online