Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought one of these recently (SMSL SP200) and it's great, I was worried it would sound a bit sterile or dry but once you get used to it it's lovely. I wouldn't use it with bright headphones as it is very neutral but it works superb with my Monoprice planars as well as Beyer DT880s. They both sound full down below with the power at hand.

Does anyone else have a THX headphone amp and what do you think?

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really couldn't tell you how many times I nearly bought an SP200, really I must have put it in checkouts a double figure number of times. The last was when I ended up going for the Topping L30 instead - which I never really enjoyed.

It seems these amps very much split opinion from clean and powerful to soulless and sterile, which is why I never hit the actual pay button. I got chatting to someone on another forum who really didn't like it and sort of ditched the Chinese amps and was going to the European ones, same time about as I also made that decision.

I do enjoy a clean, neutral sound so maybe I should have had a go at some point. It doesn't surprise me that it's a good match with the planars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles