Linn Owners

LS50 Meta vs. Linn Akurate 242

Davescello

New Wammer
Jan 8, 2022
  1. For ~$4K, what's the better all-around performer/investment (no subwoofer) for a 450 sq ft apartment: KEF LS50 Meta + Schiitt Freya & Vidar [$3700 new shipped] OR Linn Akurate 242 + Atoll IN50 [$2800 used local pickup]? Bookshelves vs. tower, new vs. used, popular vs. niche

• I like to listen to music standing a third of the time, so a forgiving sweet spot is essential. I play at a conservative volume with speakers about 9 feet from my ears, but sometimes I'll let it rip. I want something that will perform well for classical (symphonies and solo), jazz, rock, house, and hip-hop that will be a good investment.
    • I live in the U.S., Linn/Atoll aren't huge here. I care what's popular because niche products are harder to resell (though I'd be getting them at a big discount already being used), and to me less "safe". I'm a newbie to hifi. Want to stick with a system that's more proven.
    • I can repurpose the KEFs for surround and add another power amp - clear upgrade path, no need to sell anything. But pricier now. Linn system I feel like I'd have to sell to upgrade. I hate selling (RIP Reverb guitar still listed...) 'cause it takes so long to move product, and shipping takes a big bite.
    • I hate doing research/auditions...huge time suck (RIP my afternoons for the past four months). I want something that will sound good for 5-7 years at least, and perform well in a larger space once I move to a house
  2. Amps: what's preferable at my price range. Linn's own amps are probably ideal but way out of my price range. I planned to get Schiitt Freya+ & Vidar for that tube warmth, but is my money better spent on a cheap passive pre (basically just a volume control) so I can buy more watts? https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/passive-schiit-shootout-saga-vs-freya-vs-sys.7611/ 

• Integrated
  • Passive pre + multiple power amps in mono blocks
  • Active pre + single power amp

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Where in the US are you? I just sold my 242 mk1’s. Do you know if the 242 are mark 1’s or 2’s.

I’ve heard the ls50’s but not the metas. The 242’s are a very demanding speaker but also a very rewarding speaker with the right gear. It will show you every fault in your weak gear but atleast it’s being honest. I sold the 242’s to try and find mk2’s but ended up with akubariks.

I’m in northern NJ if you wanna chat more.

Linn Basik + Adsm/3 >> Akubariks

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d also suggest asking the moderators to move this post to the Hi-Fi separates section on of the linn sub forum. You’ll get more opinions when it’s posted in the right place.

Linn Basik + Adsm/3 >> Akubariks

Davescello

New Wammer
Jan 8, 2022
Thanks! I'm new to the forum and can't seem to figure out how to do that - can you point me to how to contact the moderators?

Good to know. The Metas are supposed to be very inefficient and need very good amplification - is that what you mean by demanding? I'm actually looking for a speaker that will flatter weaker material (I listen to a fair amount of Youtube...a lot of stuff like live concerts isn't anywhere else) and not require an expensive amp, so that might be a minus. Do you think something like the Atoll IN-50 is good enough? Or do you have any advice for amps in the $1-2K range to pair with? I want to have an upgrade path that doesn't involve necessarily selling my speakers, so maybe that's the way to go...then again, the Metas are supposed to continue to get better with better amps too.

What are the differences between the two Marks? Would you say the $1800 I'm being offered for a used, minor dent is appropriate for the Mark I or II? I can't call the store to ask until Tue  

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles