LMS Installation Help Needed on Raspberry Pi Zero

AndrewPotter

New Wammer
Mar 29, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dear all,

I have a Pi Zero and aim to install LMS in order to use the BBC Sounds app with my Squeezebox Touch.

I've installed the 'full' pi OS, having bought an SD card with NOOBS installed. I downloaded the LMS package and ran it, but nothing obvious has appeared, so I don't know if it worked or not 😱

Is there an Idiot's guide anywhere for installation and setup?

If it makes any difference to anything, I don't have a laptop or pc, so unless it can be done on the Pi, I have no means of 'burning' anything onto an SD card.

I'm a software developer, so do have some IT skills, but this is all new to me!

Thanks,
Andrew

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Firstly to run LMS you have to have the full server running either on the Pi Zero or on another computer . I know that is a way using say that you can load LMS on but there are settings adjustments you need to do and I have never been able to do this . You may have more skills so just search Google for liaising LMS on our zero and a YouTube video will come up . The other way is to get an sd card flashed with Picoreplayer then load from LMS . If you really can not get access to bring able to flash a card PM me and I will do one for you and post it .

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dear all,

I have a Pi Zero and aim to install LMS in order to use the BBC Sounds app with my Squeezebox Touch.

I've installed the 'full' pi OS, having bought an SD card with NOOBS installed. I downloaded the LMS package and ran it, but nothing obvious has appeared, so I don't know if it worked or not 😱

Is there an Idiot's guide anywhere for installation and setup?

If it makes any difference to anything, I don't have a laptop or pc, so unless it can be done on the Pi, I have no means of 'burning' anything onto an SD card.

I'm a software developer, so do have some IT skills, but this is all new to me!

Thanks,
Andrew
Hi Andrew, what do you have computerwise? Do you have a monitor, mouse and keyboard?

Do you have a local Library with compter access ?

And which pi zero?

And are you in the UK?

ronnie

Last edited:

AndrewPotter

New Wammer
Mar 29, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Firstly to run LMS you have to have the full server running either on the Pi Zero or on another computer . I know that is a way using say that you can load LMS on but there are settings adjustments you need to do and I have never been able to do this . You may have more skills so just search Google for liaising LMS on our zero and a YouTube video will come up . The other way is to get an sd card flashed with Picoreplayer then load from LMS . If you really can not get access to bring able to flash a card PM me and I will do one for you and post it .
Thanks, that's very kind of you. I'll take you up on that if I can't get it going.

AndrewPotter

New Wammer
Mar 29, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Andrew, what do you have computerwise? Do you have a monitor, mouse and keyboard?

And which pi zero?

And are you in the UK?

ronnie

Hello Ronnie, thanks for the response.

It's a Zero WH, bought a few weeks ago.

I have a work laptop but we can't attach stuff to it and I'm in no hurry for my P45!

I've got the Pi connected to its own keyboard, mouse, and monitor, with wired connection to my router. I found a phone app that claimed to write to SD cards, but my phone couldn't access the root area, hence me buying a card with NOOBS loaded.

Yes, I'm the Uk (North Lincs).

Andrew

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello Ronnie, thanks for the response.

It's a Zero WH, bought a few weeks ago.

I have a work laptop but we can't attach stuff to it and I'm in no hurry for my P45!

I've got the Pi connected to its own keyboard, mouse, and monitor, with wired connection to my router. I found a phone app that claimed to write to SD cards, but my phone couldn't access the root area, hence me buying a card with NOOBS loaded.

Yes, I'm the Uk (North Lincs).

Andrew

I guess that using a live Linux USB stick is also out of the question.

And I don't know if a local Library would allow you to download and burn an image.

Well I can offer the same as @bencat

I have a card with LMS installed currently in a pi Zero 2W, I would just need to remove my wireless info and pop it in the post tomorrow.

If you have a friend or relative with a computer they would allow you to use, I could pm you a download link.

One would have to install the rpi imager tool on the computer and one would also need a sd card reader.

It's your call :)

Reactions: bencat

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dear all,

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew, I presume this is the Desktop that is now selected on the card?

Open the Chromium browser

In the search bar type

http://localhost:9000 or 127.0.0.1:9000 or pizero IP address :9000 (eg 192.168.1.123:9000)

One of these should open the LMS landing page

The pi zero runs a little slowly compared to your Laptop.

When it is open click on Settings in the bottom right hand corner and then click on the Plugins tab at the top of the screen

ronnie

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

And which pi zero?

And are you in the UK?

ronnie

Great wamming here as usual, Ronnie. I see you have progressed from using egg boxes to thick rubber bands 🤪. Only joking, my friend, and I wish I had even 1% if your skills relating to computer audio. Even better, you're always willing to help others. I owe it to you that I progressed from my Squeezebox Touch to pi/AlloDigione Signature. Top man!

Reactions: greybeard

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@AndrewPotter

So, Noobs is a bit of a beast I find:rolleyes:

I had a lot of trouble with the pizero2W and the Bullseye Desktop, finally solved / amelierated by increasing the size of the swap file.

I left Noobs in the dustbin of time and installed a fresh Bullseye Desktop.

LMS installed and BBC Sounds working

What I suggest;
is that I,
send you a download link for this image and you replace Noobs with it,
or I post the card to you and you use this card in the pizero2W and copy its image to the sd card which currently holds Noobs.

This card with the Bullseye Desktop will allow you to make images of any other software you may wish to install on the pizero2W.

You would need a sd card reader and a couple of spare cards

ronnie

If you would like to chat about the options, pm me a 'phone number and a convenient time for me to call

Last edited:
Reactions: bencat

AndrewPotter

New Wammer
Mar 29, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Update: Fixed!

As an experiment, and being tired of reading its bad limericks, I asked ChatGPT to do something useful and followed the resulting advice. That and this link got me going:

https://www.haraldkreuzer.net/en/ne...h-media-server-raspberry-pi-4b-5-inch-display

It seems to be working so far, and it's great, but I may well reappear with more questions.

I've had to do all of this in a very piecemeal fashion, and it took being off work and confined to the house for a few days this week for me to actually sit there and look at it.

Thanks for all of your help, especially the kind offers of posting SD cards. I wanted to do it myself if I could (forgetting my AI pal for the moment), so persevered until the end 🙂

Andrew

Reactions: bobovox

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles