Linn Owners Club and Forum

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know if I'll ever get the Cirkus upgrade or if it's even worth it now as my table is so old plus the fact that my nearest dealer (that I would trust to work on it) is a 4 hr drive and I've never been in their store.
I would really urge you to get that Cirkus upgrade, it's long overdue and really worth the money. And if possible, do get half a K400 for the treble as well. You can probably find that second-hand, but it should be the same length.

arm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2018
Toronto
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Arm and Monte, I fully agree about Gary at Better Music.

I used to phone him every month or so, just to chat, and he always had time for me, even though I live on the west coast.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at his home twice, where he operated his business, when I went to visit Eldarboy in St.Catharines 

Gary truly was a first class gentleman, extremely kind and knowledgeable on all things Linn.
A big loss for Linn in Ontario and the Audio community as a whole. I have since begrudgingly found a new dealer, but the experience could never be the same without Gary's involvement. I hope his family is doing well.

• Upvote
Reactions: Eldarboy and monte4

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a question about Linn Selekt DSM ( version without power amps), how could I integrate headphone amplifier with the DSM? ( I would regularly use XLR > active speakers). 

BB1

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since Davaar 75 "SPDIF1" can be configured to be either an input or on output. If configured as an output, it can drive any headphone amp with an S/PDIF input. See   "Selekt DSM with one Line-level cartridge backpanel" and click on "Click for more".

LinnDocs does not indicate that using the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time will degrade the sound quality (as it is e.g. the case for a Klimax DSM), but nevertheless it would be more than cumbersome to use the RCA output for a headphone amp if Space Optimization is in use. One would definitely not want to drive the headphone amp with the space optimised signal, i.e. you have to disable / enable SO if switching between headphones and speakers.

PS:
Your question would have been better placed in  "Network Music Players & Music Streamers". Perhaps a moderator could move your question to the appropriate place.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: dari

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There was a headphone module announced for 2019 for the Selekt, no word on if this is still going to be introduced. At the moment you'll have to do as BB1 described above.

BB1

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for mentioning the headphone module, Tendaberry. I should have mentioned in my reply since I was aware that it has been announced quite some time ago…

At the time of the announcement the first question arose in me was: Where will the headphone jack be placed? The jacks of all modules are on the rear side of the Selekt and a headphone jack placed there is definitely in the wrong place. Furthermore, a headphone jack on the Selekt’s front would require a different front plate. As a wild guess: The headphone module will be introduced with the Selekt/1.

Christian Evans

New Wammer
May 30, 2020
Hi all,

Old member of the Linn forum here. 
Linn owner since 2007 Classik Music. 
Born in Spain, grew up in Brasil, living in Chile (my parents home country) since 1987 except for 1997 to 2002 living in Miami. 
Zappa and Miles are my primary music obsessions today. 

Reactions: Phobic and akamatsu

Antz Davis

Antz Davis
Wammer
Dec 21, 2020
Worcestershire
AKA
Antony Davis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
morning

I have just joined this group been an LP12 owner since 2001 - always wanted to own an LP12 I use Peter Swain @Cymbiosis and have done since the start

my current deck has been upgraded over the years, I am now in a very happy place with it and the music just comes through

current spec is Karsouel, Kore, Ekos SE, Urika, Tiger paw Khan, DVxx2 Chord shawline into Radikal

used in the past - Hercules, Naim Stageline, Naim Pre into HCDR, Ittock VII arm, Cirkus, Lingo 4

now pretty much finished will need to look at keel in due course

20201129_133946.jpg

rabbieb

New Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Greetings all, another of the 30,000 Linn Forum refugees here, started in analogue, eventually embraced digital, pretty much satisfied, nothing else I want or need to buy. However.....

....Being of the generation that component-built their own hifis and PCs and invented all the tech for the digital age.... it really shouldn't be that difficult to get the ADSM/1, the NAS and Kazoo talking, or to write guidance a professional engineer with a basic grasp of networking can follow, or have Customer Support that can give actual technical advice, not just read back what's in the troubleshooting guide. I'm sure plenty of others have had similar issues and solved them. 

Maybe Linn should have some sort of internet-thingy where their loyal and knowledgeable customers can commune, share advice and knowledge, solve problems, etc. I understand that's very much the modern way with the younger generations, and is in fact essential if you want to sell them anything. 

Oh, err.... hang on a minute....

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So i'm curious. I 'm also an lp12 fan but don't want to get back into vinyl again. Well at least that is what I keep telling myself :whistle: .

Anyway I am surprised that no one has given an account of the benefits of the new karousel bearing, given that the bearing is primary to the sound quality of a high end turntable.

So how about it anyone, come on spill the beans!!

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So i'm curious. I 'm also an lp12 fan but don't want to get back into vinyl again. Well at least that is what I keep telling myself :whistle: .

Anyway I am surprised that no one has given an account of the benefits of the new karousel bearing, given that the bearing is primary to the sound quality of a high end turntable.

So how about it anyone, come on spill the beans!!
Hi - there’s a fair bit of stuff about Karousel here:-

Mick

Antz Davis

Antz Davis
Wammer
Dec 21, 2020
Worcestershire
AKA
Antony Davis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the Karsouel fitted in May of last year - rest of the deck is Kore, Ekos SE, TP Khan, Urika, Akrute Radikal Chord Shawline RCA to Din - DV XX2 cart

the noise level just drops with new bearing, more detail focus and just more music for the price it's one of the best ££ for ££ up grades

the Cirkus is great - Karsouel is exceptional

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the Karsouel fitted in May of last year - rest of the deck is Kore, Ekos SE, TP Khan, Urika, Akrute Radikal Chord Shawline RCA to Din - DV XX2 cart

the noise level just drops with new bearing, more detail focus and just more music for the price it's one of the best ££ for ££ up grades

the Cirkus is great - Karsouel is exceptional
Is the Lp 12 your main source of listening? I love everything about the lp12 nowadays. It really does appear to be an advancement on the old version. I had one back in the 80's.  The bearing is probably the most important part of a record deck imo. 

Not sure I have got the commitment to reinvest in vinyl as I feel digital and cd playback has improved, almost caught up with a top turntable.  Also cd seems a lot cheaper and I have got used to simply putting a cd on and letting it play through for an hour.

Antz Davis

Antz Davis
Wammer
Dec 21, 2020
Worcestershire
AKA
Antony Davis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@hiesteem yes my Lp12 is my prefered choice of source when I have more time in the music room, second source is NAIM NDX, I dont stream its for IRADIO and FLAC files through NAS

agree digital FLAC, DSD or WAV high res files through the right renderer are very very good, I set out on my LP12 journey 20 years ago, the deck then was quiet different to how it is today - visited Linn a couple of time and I still prefer Vinyl on replay to be honest, even NAIM ND555 with 2x PSU come close as does a friends Vitere

albums and pressings have also come a very long way, this combined with a top spec deck makes IMO a spectaluar source, but thats my view

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that Antz. I find it really interesting that someone like yourself with exceptional equipment throughout, still prefers vinyl. If I am honest I am not sure of the benefits of files through a renderer. This is because I don't really understand the format and so am not aware  of it's benefits, of which I am sure there are plenty.

In fact I could start a blog on why we prefer a certain format and what purpose or how we use the various different formats. I find the psychology of usage and how/why fascinating. 

Antz Davis

Antz Davis
Wammer
Dec 21, 2020
Worcestershire
AKA
Antony Davis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
for me now best of both world - LP12 with my level gives me musical reproduction I can only admire, some of the albums i purchased as a young school boy still stand up today - I only played Gerry Rafferty Night Owl and 10cc How dare you? last weekend

the above combined with a good Streamer (in my case NDX) even at 16/44 (CD) the music is thier and with some really high res - it's superb, the other great point about having a NAS is nearly 2TB of music in a box no bigger than a4 ring binder - I moved from CD's in 2014 and don't regreat the move

I play vinyl 90% + of the time - could I get more, prob yes but to me vinyl has that little more music and thats all I want

Mark Holder

Zomer84
Wammer
Feb 21, 2021
Devon
AKA
Mark Richie Holder
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hay guys, thought i would drop in see what's going on. I don't have a Linn set up, but i have my LP12 which replaced my Axis when it started to grow old and tired. My mum bought if for me for my 21st birthday. I had it over two decades, and loved the way it sounded. The deck became impossible to run 45rpm which i played more than 33rpm so obviously became a problem. It went to a new home. The chap that bought it wanted it to play LP's only, so he got a good deal. I got a used LP12 roughly the same age as my Axis, but i heavily upgraded it in 2018. In reality it's a new deck in a old plinth, but looks exactly like a new model.

887E96F4-2447-4C24-B755-23E694E8E077.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles