Clarets

Wammer
Nov 6, 2019
San Francisco
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I own this sub and love it though agree managing the controls in set up is less than intuitive!!

Do you have it working now? I belivee the amp inside is a mono half of the AV5105 of which I own 6. Is this correct?

Do you have it working now?

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I own this sub and love it though agree managing the controls in set up is less than intuitive!!

Do you have it working now? I belivee the amp inside is a mono half of the AV5105 of which I own 6. Is this correct?

Do you have it working now?
A mono half of an AV5105 would be 100 watts. I think the 5150 sports more power than that.

mabrow

mabrow
New Wammer
Nov 19, 2020
Flower Mound, Texas
AKA
Dennis Browning
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do not have it working yet and now at a loss and not sure were to go with it from here. Repair shop that I sent the amp and crossover board for repair said these boards were good to go, however I still get the rapid low thump when a signal is sent to it. A speaker repair tech I spoke with recently called the sound helicoptering (like the sound of helicopter rotor blades).

Don't know if I have a bad compensation board or toroidal transformer, or if either of these would cause this issue.

The cherry cabinet is near mint and in my mind a work of art. Hate to have to possibly sell it for parts, or get so frustrated I put it out for garbage pickup.

I need help from anyone out there with knowledge and the willingness to help on this unit!! 

Thanks much!

Reactions: Moomintroll

Johannes

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When the first error occurred (hum), did the bass speaker deflect very far forwards or backwards?

mabrow

mabrow
New Wammer
Nov 19, 2020
Flower Mound, Texas
AKA
Dennis Browning
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When the first error occurred (hum), did the bass speaker deflect very far forwards or backwards?
Hi Johannes.

The first error had a hum followed by a pretty big thump from the speaker. The speaker did deflect out then back in. Not a huge deflection, but very noticeable movement.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You're correct. It's rated at 200 watts. I think it's an adapted AV5105.
Just 200 Watts? I'm surprised. My Sizmik is 500 W. But that would be a different technology. It could easily be the same board as the AV5105, which was also most likely used in other amps as well. You could very well be right about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

mabrow

mabrow
New Wammer
Nov 19, 2020
Flower Mound, Texas
AKA
Dennis Browning
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Simon,

Yes I am. I've had many things going on lately and shelved the 5150 until I have the time to look at it again. 

It is a very nice unit and I appreciate any insight you can send my way. 

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Simon,

Yes I am. I've had many things going on lately and shelved the 5150 until I have the time to look at it again. 

It is a very nice unit and I appreciate any insight you can send my way. 
Owning an idle 5150 myself, I'd be happy if you share your insights here. I'm always eager to learn.

Before anyone asks, why my 5150 is idle: I was quite happy with it and my AV5140s in my old house, 15 yrs ago. Then we moved to another city and into a smaller house. I also Exakted my system about this time, and had no funds for an Exaktbox Sub - if it existed at all in those days.

I lent an ExaktboxSub from my dealer, recently. Tried to get the sub up and running, and integrated into SOv2, as my room has awful resonance. I partly succeeded, but was not happy with the result, soundwise. There was more low frequency, but the sub appeared "slower" then the rest of the system, which led to an imbalance.

I don't want to steal this thread, but I do wonder if recapping the sub might help to speed it up? 

Yes, the cherry finish is awesome. This is why my idle sub is still tolerated as a piece of furniture in this living room 😉

mabrow

mabrow
New Wammer
Nov 19, 2020
Flower Mound, Texas
AKA
Dennis Browning
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I plan to look again at the 5150 sometime this month. When my old brain remembers there is a 8 hour time difference between TX. and the UK, I will call Simon at Grammo and pick his brain.

I sent the Sub amp and crossover boards to a "recommended" Tx. LINN repair shop where they replaced multiple caps/resistors on the amp board. The shop said the crossover board needed nothing. Boards were shipped back, I installed them and still Nada. When the repair shop was informed that the Sub still did not work the shop was extremely condescending and arrogant. I now do not trust this shop and will never send the boards back to them or recommend them to anyone. Total Jerks!!!

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the electronics have been checked out and proclaimed to be OK, then that only leaves the drive units and I wonder if one or both of the bass units has burnt out? Any way of testing them?

Just a thought

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles