Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We must have spotted the same 10% discount offer on LGs, because ours arrived on Monday 7th. I chose the slightly cheaper B1 version of the 55” OLED because the foot is narrower - a perfect fit onto our existing Canton soundbase!

I’m sure RS accidentally reduced the price twice. The B1 had been £1099 for a while, after being a Best Buy in Which? magazine in Oct 21 at £1299. Then it was £999, then £929, then it was £878. I thought that was the ten percent off - give or take. When I ordered it they took off £87.80, so I paid £790.20. Bargain!

The important bit is that I completely agree how stunning the picture is. Only turned down contrast and Color a bit. Green Planet on BBC iPlayer looks great, as does the Winter Olympics.

7FA7CC31-089F-4C00-9262-480F07F9A10B.jpeg

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been a fan of LG TVs for decades now , Recently purchased a 65" beauty :)
My 52" is for sale in the add's section

Reactions: BarneysDad

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
we've had one for a year or so its awesome don't like the remote though cheap as chips and also it doesn't work with my Sonos play bar

Sgt Pepper

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2017
Newcastle Upon tyne
AKA
Barry (Baz)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember back in the day when I was involved in HDTV test the first OLEDS to arrive on these shores were £5000 +.

Can I recommend you good people go into the settings and use one of these settings, ISF Night or Day, Cinema, Film Maker Mode or get a professional calibration.........then you will make these TV's really sing.

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In 2019 as work was going well I purchased a LG55" oled and a Oppo 205 Blu-ray. The LG replaced a 38" Sony LCD and the Oppo a old playstation console which was just used for dvd & Blu-ray and a bit if streaming. Even after owning for a few years now the combo still amazes me.

The 55" screen seamed massive for the first few months but it's surprising how you get used to it. Probably go bigger next time maybe a projector. No plans to change at the mo though.
Lol I've suffered the same went from 40 inch to 55 then to 65 and now I have 75
My advice would be skip them all and get projection and save the in between

Reactions: JamieMcC

paulkebab

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Something that never fails to amaze me is how many people have a 4K TV but haven't watched a true 4K movie on it. Not streamed, but from UHD BD. Not upscaled but full fat 4K. Now that bakes everybody's noodle.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Something that never fails to amaze me is how many people have a 4K TV but haven't watched a true 4K movie on it. Not streamed, but from UHD BD. Not upscaled but full fat 4K. Now that bakes everybody's noodle.

Why is that amazing? OLED TVs make non-UHD blu-ray content look way better so it's not like there is no benefit unless watching UHD blu-ray content.

For me, UHD blu-rays are too expensive to be worth it in visual terms, and in audio terms I wouldn't be able to run the 2.1 audio setup that I enjoy for regular blu-rays.

I do play PS5 games that make use of HDR though.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was wondering about that. So you’re saying my streaming 4K or Dolby Vision from Netflix or Amazon Prime is distinctly inferior to watching the same content from a 4K disk?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't get the sound sync to work properly on my LG oled
I’ve been finding that too, with a Canton sound base that worked perfectly with a previous, older, LG. I’ve turned it off temporarily to see how it fares with its own speakers.

Do you find that if you get it right on terrestrial TV, it’s then out of sync with streaming, say, Netflix?

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I was wondering about that. So you’re saying my streaming 4K or Dolby Vision from Netflix or Amazon Prime is distinctly inferior to watching the same content from a 4K disk?
Certainly feel a 4k uhd disc played via my Oppo 205 player is a crisper and smoother than via streamed. Which is why I keep my cinema paridiso dvd subscription going.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

This may be obvious but as to why there may be a significant difference bear in mind that anything streamed is likely to be compressed compared to a UHD disc (which a quick Google shows would have a data transfer rate peaking in the 72 - 144 Mbit/s range).

Regular Blu-Rays beat broadcast HD content for the same reason.

paulkebab

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why is that amazing? OLED TVs make non-UHD blu-ray content look way better so it's not like there is no benefit unless watching UHD blu-ray content.

For me, UHD blu-rays are too expensive to be worth it in visual terms, and in audio terms I wouldn't be able to run the 2.1 audio setup that I enjoy for regular blu-rays.

Yes they do which is why I bought one, I run a 3.1 audio setup with no probs. The other issue is that a lot of so-called 4k content is simply upscaled instead of being re-scanned so buyers beware. https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
410647_2_7deb.jpg

After much soul searching/review reading & price checking, finally flipped the switch on the attractively named LG OLED55CI4LB from Richer Sounds with its 6 year gtee.

LG OLED55C14LB | 55 inch OLED 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart TV | Richer Sounds

After a few days of "buyers remorse" (how could it possibly be that much better than a nine year old Panny plasma telly?) it arrived.

Firstly the screen is a shock. Its as thin as a sheet of glass! And theres no frame. So my mate & I were very cautious about handling it. However it was quick to assemble which is more than can be said about all the data filling in that seems to come with most tech stuff these days. Finally plugged the HDMIs into the Pioneer AV & off we go.

1st impressions, holy crap is the picture astonishingly good! And the surround sound...wow! So what to watch 1st? Blu ray of Blade Runner 2049, but not because of the screenplay. To compensate downloaded Blade Runner the Final Cut, a film thats into double figures of watching. It was like seeing it the first time. Stunning detail and sound.

Foreign travel is still a distant dream so this telly is to get us through the winter months, into better weather & maybe a bit more freedom.

410647_3_0d4f.jpg
We had a similar reaction moving from a 2008 Loewe TV to a current Samsung. It was like a window to the world. The resolution is stunning. Actually too stunning as every single pore and any ‘imperfections’ are very visible on actors faces.

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Must be me, missing the Pana plasma. Just found some UHD on prime so will try them on the 48" LG C2.

Connection to the stereo's been an issue, Dax not very happy with optical output, need to see if theres headphone socket.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Going to duck after this as it may well be already something you know but often current TV have the output sound set to surround which can upset some older DAC,s . So check the audio settings and make sure it is set to PCM stereo or just stereo and see if that matches with your DAC more .
Shuts door very quickly behind me to avoid the crickets being thrown .

Leif

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 28, 2014
East Hampshire
AKA
Leif
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m not surprised you like it. I have two high end graphics monitors for my PC, they are amazing, and OLED is even better.

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the back of this thread I've just ordered an LG OLED TV. Don't really need it, but the existing TV is over 7 years old, so I'm sure I'll see a big difference.
I have questions on how it records, as my existing Panny uses a Humax hard disk STB which I've got so used to.... But I'm sure it'll all come clear. I might have to read the manual :coffee:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On the back of this thread I've just ordered an LG OLED TV. Don't really need it, but the existing TV is over 7 years old, so I'm sure I'll see a big difference.
I have questions on how it records, as my existing Panny uses a Humax hard disk STB which I've got so used to.... But I'm sure it'll all come clear. I might have to read the manual :coffee:
My advice would be to continue to use your Humax. Recording via TVs is pretty universally a rubbish user experience by comparison.

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My advice would be to continue to use your Humax. Recording via TVs is pretty universally a rubbish user experience by comparison.
Ah, OK. It's one of things that I feel would only be decided by trying it. So is it the interface that's rubbish? Just poorly written software? No reason why I can't use the Humax with it but it seems a bit of a shame to pay for all the front end stuff in the TV, only to just bypass it all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles