llatpoh

Wammer
Wammer
May 27, 2022
The Free State Of Texas, USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds like a better phono stage to me.
MC cartridges in particular are "loaded" by the resistance presented by the phono stage, to the point that it can affect the suspension and compliance characteristics. From Sumiko web site:

"The second aspect of cartridge loading involves how it affects the cartridge itself. When a load resistor is inserted across the + and – pins of the cartridge (typically using a set of switches on the phono section) the voltage that is generated by the cartridge flows through the resistor as current. The effect on the cartridge is an electromechanical stiffening of the suspension system and decreased output from the generator. The closer the load resistor value to the internal impedance of the cartridge, the greater the effect on the compliance and the lower the output voltage becomes. Hindering the compliance of the cartridge with too low a resistor value will stifle dynamics and high frequency response, and lowering the output voltage will force you to recruit more gain from the phono section or volume knob."

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
MC cartridges in particular are "loaded" by the resistance presented by the phono stage, to the point that it can affect the suspension and compliance characteristics. From Sumiko web site:

"The second aspect of cartridge loading involves how it affects the cartridge itself. When a load resistor is inserted across the + and – pins of the cartridge (typically using a set of switches on the phono section) the voltage that is generated by the cartridge flows through the resistor as current. The effect on the cartridge is an electromechanical stiffening of the suspension system and decreased output from the generator. The closer the load resistor value to the internal impedance of the cartridge, the greater the effect on the compliance and the lower the output voltage becomes. Hindering the compliance of the cartridge with too low a resistor value will stifle dynamics and high frequency response, and lowering the output voltage will force you to recruit more gain from the phono section or volume knob."
Good point. I didn't think of the effect on compliance due to increased or decreased magnetic field. But I also think that in the context of hierarchy, it just confuses things to start considering these extremely small forces. Let's keep it simple and in the context of Linn's notion of hierarchy. Now I'm thinking if a speaker would impact the performance of an amp. If so, there's no way to isolate the effect, and it becomes academic.

Reactions: llatpoh

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Both? But if we keep up this conversation, the electrical engineers will be laughing at us. :)
They already are.
Speakers do definitely interact with the amp. That still doesn't change the hierarchy in terms of what is important. What it does mean, and this is also true of the phono stage/cartridge interaction, is that the best of each product category can't be guaranteed to actually work together. So synergy does have to be considered.

Reactions: Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the best of each product category can't be guaranteed to actually work together.
Hope I’m not taking your words completely out of context, but this is why I stick to all Linn. They take all the guesswork out of it for me. I couldn’t face going back to mix and match with all the auditioning it would entail. Just too old for that now.

’troll

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well that's a belief system, there is more guess work to do than what any person or manufacturer can muster.
I mean that it limits my choice and I’m not constantly looking for the next upgrade. I’m happy with that.

’troll

Reactions: llatpoh

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
Good point. I didn't think of the effect on compliance due to increased or decreased magnetic field. But I also think that in the context of hierarchy, it just confuses things to start considering these extremely small forces. Let's keep it simple and in the context of Linn's notion of hierarchy.
I suppose it would depend on any hierarchy within the cartridge design itself (similar to LP hierarchy within the turntable) and how important this factor is (i.e. impact of phono stage) compared to other design factors within the cartridge.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hope I’m not taking your words completely out of context, but this is why I stick to all Linn. They take all the guesswork out of it for me. I couldn’t face going back to mix and match with all the auditioning it would entail. Just too old for that now.

’troll
I did that at one time, now I have wandered off the beaten path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online