Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stereo-20 into 15Ohm 2-way Sandwich 600 speakers. It was "good" before, but now I've found the o/p impedance jumpers on top of the o/p transformers and set them to 16 (they were on 4) the sound is amazing. No idea why I didn't notice that before, but after fixing it I've got more volume, more clarity, and I'd go as far as to say there's more treble, and the bass is better defined. I had no idea the older stuff was SO good.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stereo-20 into 15Ohm 2-way Sandwich 600 speakers. It was "good" before, but now I've found the o/p impedance jumpers on top of the o/p transformers and set them to 16 (they were on 4) the sound is amazing. No idea why I didn't notice that before, but after fixing it I've got more volume, more clarity, and I'd go as far as to say there's more treble, and the bass is better defined. I had no idea the older stuff was SO good.
Back in the late 70s the repair guy at Guildford Hifi (wish I could track him down - brilliant guy) switched to using a Leak Stereo 20 and Quad 2s, the full time sales guy (Clive Cherry another smashing guy) switched from a 100 watt Trio to a Leak stereo 20 and Tannoy 15inch Monitor Golds ..

It is about horses for courses - no way could I use those on my Gale 401s and the owner (Bob Eubanks) had Acoustat 4x which had their own inbuilt amps. However, on very efficient speakers or those speakers that cannot handle a lot of power we knew how good those old valve amps could perform. It took Hifi World another 10 years to realise it and put out their amps and with the likes of Tim De Paravacini and others a resurgence in valve amps occurred.

So glad you are enjoying yours .. it would be interesting to hear it on the end of my speakers (which are over 90db efficient) ...

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back in the late 70s the repair guy at Guildford Hifi (wish I could track him down - brilliant guy) switched to using a Leak Stereo 20 and Quad 2s, the full time sales guy (Clive Cherry another smashing guy) switched from a 100 watt Trio to a Leak stereo 20 and Tannoy 15inch Monitor Golds ..

It is about horses for courses - no way could I use those on my Gale 401s and the owner (Bob Eubanks) had Acoustat 4x which had their own inbuilt amps. However, on very efficient speakers or those speakers that cannot handle a lot of power we knew how good those old valve amps could perform. It took Hifi World another 10 years to realise it and put out their amps and with the likes of Tim De Paravacini and others a resurgence in valve amps occurred.

So glad you are enjoying yours .. it would be interesting to hear it on the end of my speakers (which are over 90db efficient) ...
Arts and a Leak Stereo 20 pair beautifully (I have one).

Reactions: uzzy

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On planet Jazid it is sad that 16 ohm speakers are a thing of the past. To my mind their impedance had less inherent compromises than in 4-8 ohm speakers, quite apart from being far more valve friendly. And yes, a well fettled Leak TL12+ or a Stereo 20 is a fine beast, well able to make such speakers sing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samsamcardiff