Linn Owners

Konfig reaches retirement age…

Geoff_UK

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For reasons best known to Linn, the notification and ability to update Davaar is in the Linn App, not your Account. Personally, it would make a lot of sense for it to reside in the Account, but hey ho…

’troll
Sounds about right.

When I go into the white linn app on my iPad and go to the "update systems" bit, it says "the discovered systems do not support update checking via the Linn App. Please use Konfig on your Mac or PC to check for updates for these systems".

Hmmmmm

Reactions: Nestor Turton

morbius

New Wammer
Jun 15, 2019
Just tried an update to Davaar via the app for my Organik KDS and the Linn app on my iPad just appeared to hang, but the update completed on the DS itself. Feels a bit flaky to me.

also, apart from Konfig, where do we enable/disable beta updates?

Geoff_UK

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In your Linn account, under Advanced, Software Updates, Channel.

’troll
I don't have this option?

Are we taking about the linn.co.uk account page where you set up space op etc, or is it in the "new" linn app?

I know it's not the end of the world, but I don't appear to have any means of checking and updating the software on my DSM at the moment?

Are they stopping support for older streamers?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have this option?
It’s only there for latest generation DSMs, I checked earlier and still can’t see my Sneaky DS. I fully expect Linn to update things in the near future. If you aren’t currently up to date, any outstanding updates should still be visible in Konfig. After that, there aren’t any further updates yet, so wait and see.

I was referring to the Linn Account.

’troll

Reactions: Geoff_UK

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is terrible news and should be fought.
1. We lose control of our purchased items and resort to some abstract cloud service to configure and use it. It started with the TuneIN radio service. But this is far worse. Just wait until the access becomes a subscription.
2. For me in two apartments, SOv2 is a no go, so must continue with SOv1.
3. I have no desire to use a cloud service and a Linn account to use my product.
I’m reluctant when it comes to cloud services. I’m unsure who hosts Linn’s cloud solutions; I’m happy for Linn to know how I use my DSMs, but how does it protect our data from the cloud provider. “The only thing you need to know is big brother is watching you”. Wonder if George Orwell and Aldous Huxley would have thought Google was their friend?

https://www.avg.com/en/signal/how-google-uses-data
2436A521-7CA4-4346-9AE2-D5B07F1AFB0A.jpeg

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
A local app prevents something like this:
https://gizmodo.com/sonos-is-officially-killing-off-some-of-its-older-speak-1841069879Hence keep Konfig forever, or reinstate the local configuration capability (local web server in the DSM). It is ridicolous I have to ask permission to the cloud for changing the capacitance on my LP12 RIAA among other things.. This is worse news then killing off the old Linn forum, but in the same vane.

MrB

Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
SE
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still use the SO v1 settings that I refined over time to suit my room and my ears. Haven’t touched them since 2017 and SOv2 has never been able to get near to them because the ability to refine the settings is so much more limited in v2. the V1 settings are imported into the Linn account but cannot be modified. Hopefully I can still keep these imported settings in the Linn account. I do hope that v2 is now developed to provide more user customisation as it seems to have been left as is since 2019.

Reactions: dol and ae111sr

MrB

Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
SE
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just checked the Linn account. My selekt dsm can be updated from manage systems>advanced. My Akurate DS and KEDSM cannot.

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wonder if there will be any updates for Legacy DS kit

Scheduled Maintenance​

• We will be performing scheduled maintenance on our cloud servers on Thursday 16/02/23 at 9pm GMT
  • Cloud based device configuration and Space Optimisation may be impacted temporarily during this time
  • Devices may need power cycled afterwards if any issues arise 🤞

Bladvoc

Wammer
Mar 16, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m reluctant when it comes to cloud services. I’m unsure who hosts Linn’s cloud solutions; I’m happy for Linn to know how I use my DSMs, but how does it protect our data from the cloud provider. “The only thing you need to know is big brother is watching you”. Wonder if George Orwell and Aldous Huxley would have thought Google was their friend?

[URL]https://www.avg.com/en/signal/how-google-uses-data[/URL]

2436A521-7CA4-4346-9AE2-D5B07F1AFB0A.jpeg
The intro to a great song by the might Iron Maiden

.....and a classic TV show of course

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This was posted on the Linn Development Forum yesterday, it looks like we’re waiting for Davaar 98 to reveal all:

Linn's Konfig desktop application has entered it's sunset phase and will no longer be maintained. Instead, users will be asked to migrate over to Manage Systems. Manage Systems is a web based tool that will provide all the functionality from Konfig (configuration, updates, space optimisation, etc). It also includes a number of improvements over Konfig, most notably a superior version of space optimisation (Space V2) with significantly better performance and improved room modelling.

Q: How do I get started with Manage Systems?
A: * Create a Linn account via the Linn website: https://www.linn.co.uk/account
* Associate your device with your Linn account using Linn app or Kazoo (settings view)

Q: How do I use Manage Systems?
A: * Navigate to https://www.linn.co.uk/account/music-systems (this will list all devices that have been associated with your Linn account)
* Login to your Linn account
* You can connect to your Manage Systems account and interact with Linn devices from anywhere in the world and from any device with a web browser
* Once you are logged in you can configure your device settings, setup space optimisation, and apply updates from the intuitive interface

Q: Do I have to use Manage Systems?
A: No. Anyone still using Konfig can continue to do so. However, after Davaar 98 you will not be able to apply any future updates

Q: Is Manage Systems the only place I can update my device?
A: No. As of Davaar 98, all Linn devices can also be updated using Linn app and Kazoo. For devices with front panel displays, you can also update your device from there.

Q: Why Manage Systems?
A: An internet-based service currently allows for much higher performance Space Optimisation and enables easier rollout of updates and bug fixes. Cloud-connected DSMs could enable all manner of cool additions in future. Maintaining this plus Konfig in parallel is possible but takes up a lot of our development time. We'd prefer to put that time towards development of new user-visible features instead.

Q: I'm concerned about online privacy. What information will Linn hold about me in Manage Systems?
A: Manage Systems stores any rooms and playlists you define and Space Optimisations you generate. Device configuration, source settings, volume level and update status are mirrored from a DSM to allow for device control. We do not share any information with third parties and would obtain your permission before performing additional processing on your data.

Q: I prefer the sound of Space v1 on my system. Are you sure that Space v2 is better?
A: Space v2 is objectively more accurate at modelling most rooms. It is currently possible (albeit very hard) to achieve better results for rooms with non-flat floors and ceilings using v1. We're working on this and expect v2 to most accurately model all rooms in the coming months.

’troll

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting that Linn say “As of Davaar 98, all Linn devices can also be updated using Linn app and Kazoo“, because Kazoo will be going too, as per the announcement in the latest beta:-

1682DBFE-3DFB-47E1-BB01-9A3C8197CDF9.jpeg

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As clear as mud…
Time will tell.

’troll

DoomHammer

Wammer
Nov 30, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Kazoo is dead. Konfig is Dead. Linn app doesn't work on Android (crashes constantly) and none of my systems can be updated from Managed Systems. Windows and macOS doesn't seem to have any sensible replacement at all. Linux has been forgotten for a few years now.

What a time to be alive!

I'm afraid Customer eXperience is a foreign concept here...

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Kazoo is dead. Konfig is Dead. Linn app doesn't work on Android (crashes constantly) and none of my systems can be updated from Managed Systems. Windows and macOS doesn't seem to have any sensible replacement at all. Linux has been forgotten for a few years now.
Kazoo is not (yet) dead it just won't be resuscitated if it dies in the future. Linn App works fine on my Android phone - no crashes (except if I press too long on an item when editing a playlist) and it is still a Beta App. Post on the development forum if you have a problem.
But I do agree that the order of announcements is all wrong - surely you put in place the replacement before you announce the 'death' of the original.

Reactions: uk030 and MickC

peter@57m

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2015
Surrey, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Posted today on Linn Dev Forum by Linn

All DSMs will support updating via Manage Systems or Linn soon.

Owners of products that were released before Selekt DSM will need to apply Davaar 98 using Konfig. This release will extend the device's update capabilities then subsequent updates will be offered by Manage Systems and/or Linn.

DoomHammer

Wammer
Nov 30, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Posted today on Linn Dev Forum by Linn

All DSMs will support updating via Manage Systems or Linn soon.

Owners of products that were released before Selekt DSM will need to apply Davaar 98 using Konfig. This release will extend the device's update capabilities then subsequent updates will be offered by Manage Systems and/or Linn.
Great to know that, thanks!

And this announcement should've come first before the announcement of Konfig retirement. Saves owners lots of stress and shows that the company cares about their customers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles