Linn Owners

Klimax 350s intermittent clicks originating from inside the speaker

Utlover

Wammer
Feb 15, 2019
Every now and then (but not consistent) I hear clicks originating from my Klimax 350s Organik when playing music. These clicks are similar (but somehow appear to be somewhat softer) to the ones that the speakers manifest when starting up. Sometimes only the left speaker does it, sometimes the right one and sometimes also in a subsequent way. Of course I can go to the support route but I was wondering if any of you also encountered this (it may be a known issue).
What I did to rule out the usual suspects:
1. Fallback & reload speakers;
2. Exakt->Replaced ethernet cables (noname) with Blue Jeans Cable 6a cables (I noticed a thread posted a long time ago pointing to more or less the same issue caused by ethernet cables not up to spec);
3. Fallback & reload DSM.
My speakers have been upgraded to Organik by the dealer, and he informed me the 2 bottom screws of the circuit boards sometimes caused issues (sounds because of heat/cold expand/shrink effects) and they have been removed already.
Any thoughts?

Baba Yaga

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2019
Baba Yaga‘s hut
AKA
BY
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is very likely the issue your dealer indicated and unfortunately a well known one. There is a long thread on this topic (‚clicking noise‘) at the old Linn forum.
It is heat related and seems to depend on the EXAKT (sic!) positioning of the boards within the speaker. As there is little real estate available, sometimes they are not aligned perfectly but will touch other parts when expanding, building up a tension which then releases with the clicking noise.
I‘m afraid the only way to cure this is open up the speaker again and make sure, the boards are perfectly aligned with even distance to all surroundings (and even then sometimes it will click).

Last edited:

HollyJohnsen

Wammer
Dec 20, 2021
Germany, Waldeck
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My 350 katalyst only click when switching on and off. In between, there are no noises. I wish them that their problem is fixed. that would drive me crazy.

Reactions: Utlover

Baba Yaga

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2019
Baba Yaga‘s hut
AKA
BY
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn replaced my 350s twice as the clicking noise would not go away. Still one box does it, albeit much less than before and over the years you get used to it.

Reactions: Utlover

anatius

Wammer
Oct 27, 2021
Linn replaced my 350s twice as the clicking noise would not go away. Still one box does it, albeit much less than before and over the years you get used to it.
Does this clicking problem apply to the latest model Exact 350 speakers. I am astounded Linn did not modify the design when they became aware of it.

Reactions: Nopiano

Baba Yaga

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2019
Baba Yaga‘s hut
AKA
BY
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They introduced a number of quick fixes (e.g. removed some screws). I don‘t know whether they changed something fundamentally in the meantime.

• Thanks
Reactions: anatius

Utlover

Wammer
Feb 15, 2019
My dealer is in discussion with Linn on this topic. I will update when I know more..

Utlover

Wammer
Feb 15, 2019
Despite repair efforts by Linn (for which the back part of my 350s were shipped to Scotland) the clicking was not gone, as also witnessed by my dealer. In the end, my dealer has arranged other 350s of the same age and the speakers have been swapped now. This, of course, is an excellent solution by my dealer! Furthermore : the clicking is gone so I am very pleased with this.

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d be gutted at such a fudge in an over 50K pair of speakers.
I read somewhere they are on the way out because of array availability issues.
🫢

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d be gutted at such a fudge in an over 50K pair of speakers.
I read somewhere they are on the way out because of array availability issues.
🫢
So, lucky owners of what comes next, will have a whole host of new issues to listen for…

My 350s are 15 years old now and still mighty fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles