Kegworth Photo Thread 2018

vintageaxeman

WAM, Bam, Thank you, Ma'am!
Wammer Plus
Feb 25, 2010
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Roon server is based on an i5 NUC in an Akasa Plato passively cooled case. It is running Roons own operating System they call ROCK. It is a cut down and optimised Linux OS with a simple setup process that takes a few minutes with the right tools. Once setup your Roon NUC can act as a server or combine that with playing via HDMI into a multichannel system or a USB DAC. I use it to serve and have an optimised streamer based on a low power processor (typically a Raspberry Pi type unit) that feeds directly into a AudioByte Hydra Z USB audio bridge shoehorned into the same box. This effectively converts it into an ethernet fed streamer. It is a hack but quite an effective one. That then feeds i2S over HDMI into my AudioByte DAC.

Roon serves my locally kept files and is also integrated with Tidal to allow me to stream off the internet. It also has quite powerful DSP capabilities. Using a two generation old i5 NUC I was upsampling everything to 2 times DSD sample rates because my DAC sounds a little smoother and less forced like that. It can also do room eq and has some vendor specific headphone eq too. Hope that is what you were looking for. If you need any more info let me know.
Also, Henry, I REALLY liked your AR / PU7 sound....the sound on the Van Morrison album you were playing was superb... cymbals in particular shimmered....andhis voice, which I can take or leave, was SO natural. Was there anything special here? Was it a remastered disc or an ordinary pressing? The AR plinth....a non-standard item too? I can only presume that you bought the PU7 and VdH cartridge after some considering other high end alternatives. Is there any particular comment you could make about these? It really did sound superb....

G

Don't know where my brain was yesterday still stuck at Kegworth no doubt but a big thanks to George 47 as well :^ . I'm sure he is penning a write up at some point 

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perhaps you could have made a helpful suggestion to Philip (The Reel BBC) about how to embed the images, given the fact that he only has 5 posts to his name (that's a rhetorical suggestion).
Thanks for this helpful suggestion. Maybe you could have done so too.There is no need to use links to externally hosted photos on this forum, unlike on many others. One can simply embed the images - the instructions are beneath the text box where you create your post. It is very easy and they will be here on the Wam for posterity. Unlike Photobucket, Flickr and Dropbox which are not always but may be subject to license changes which insist on an upgrade (Photobucket is the worst; the internet is plastered with icons where Photobucket pics used to be). Posted photos are also immune from any “tidying up” which may be required on the external account.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An Amen to that Jack very nice indeed , loved the sound that was being emitted , could have sat there all day . 
That comment was about Fourlegs system. Its the only mention in dispatches I've given because , as an exhibitor, I couldnt give each and every system the attention it deserved and it's not fair on everyone else if i singled out systems on that basis. But I have to award, you, GLB, the Gunga din award for carrying the lame and everincreasing Lurchlike, Lurch (knee op') during set up and breakdown. I know what those Ushers and their stands weigh having been there when we did the melton bakeoff so full marks to you for the fetch and carry and for sorting out the hum problem you were having in the build up to the Show. (Its the best ive heard it sound - well done.)

Jack NSM

Reactions: Fourlegs

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That comment was about Fourlegs system. Its the only mention in dispatches I've given because , as an exhibitor, I couldnt give each and every system the attention it deserved and it's not fair on everyone else if i singled out systems on that basis.

Jack NSM
But Jack, having been in my room surely there was no need to go anywhere else as it would all be downhill. ;) xD

Nick

Shakey_Studioincar

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2014
Portsmouth
studioincar.co.uk
AKA
Carl Shakespeare
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FINALLY!!! 

Up and running again, the house has been too quiet today🤗🤗😀

AND NO! the Ushers haven't shrunk in the wash, with my out of action knee I couldn't manage the un-boxing and setting up on my own so have drafted in my Dali Zensor5 from my second system until I can get some help. 

Must admit they're suprising me, as only had them 3 months (£100 secondhand bargain) and it's their first time on the end of the 845s. 

IMG_0103.JPG
John, drop me a pm, I'll come and get those big boys out for you one evening this week?

Gutted to have missed the show, I've two young kids and it doesn't snow often enough in this country so a very special day was spent getting covered in snow and building snowmen on our back garden.

Show looks to have been great and seems to have had a great reaction, well done all involved. I think I'll try and exhibit next year.

Carl.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, Henry, I REALLY liked your AR / PU7 sound....the sound on the Van Morrison album you were playing was superb... cymbals in particular shimmered....andhis voice, which I can take or leave, was SO natural. Was there anything special here? Was it a remastered disc or an ordinary pressing? The AR plinth....a non-standard item too? I can only presume that you bought the PU7 and VdH cartridge after some considering other high end alternatives. Is there any particular comment you could make about these? It really did sound superb....
I had sent three Rega arms to j7 as well as owning a standard RB900. So after comparing a modified RB250 and j7 modded Mitchell arm to the RB900 I decided I fancied trying the PU7. An opportunity came up after a while to buy a 2010 PU7 less than 12 months old and I bit. The VdH was a forum offer, I don't know if the Wammer who made the connection still posts but the result was a cartridge built to suit my arm at an excellent price. The AR is a bit Frankenstein. Origin Live DC motor and controller, springs removed in favour of sorbothane, mass added plinth (12mm MDF base) and the very fetching veneer. The sub platter is an extra massy example from the models higher in the range. Bearing is ball and cup. But the deck still surprised me because I had been playing with MM stages and a step up for a while and struggled with sibilance on a number of recordings. So much so I resorted to another cart with less 'sparkle' then fell out of love with my deck! VdH always recommended a straight gain MC stage and the Graham Slee Fanfare I borrowed for the day was just that. Ultimately, the fact is I have a lovely TD124 sitting at home I don't really feel the need to get up and running. I just like to look at it! That might change this year though. Two decks next year?

topoxforddoc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2009
Cheltenham, , United
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
armbase 25pt.jpg

Thank You to those who remembered Stewart

Bit of an old photo (he still had the Linn Isobarik's), but a good shot of a creature in his natural habitat... RIP Stewart
Philip,

This will make me look again at Stew's MTR-12 in my sitting room. I'm sure he's up there getting his mitts on something electronic or mechanical :)  RIP

Charlie

Reactions: TheFlash

GLB

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2015
Newquey Cornwall
AKA
Chris Schwar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That comment was about Fourlegs system. Its the only mention in dispatches I've given because , as an exhibitor, I couldnt give each and every system the attention it deserved and it's not fair on everyone else if i singled out systems on that basis. But I have to award, you, GLB, the Gunga din award for carrying the lame and everincreasing Lurchlike, Lurch (knee op') during set up and breakdown. I know what those Ushers and their stands weigh having been there when we did the melton bakeoff so full marks to you for the fetch and carry and for sorting out the hum problem you were having in the build up to the Show. (Its the best ive heard it sound - well done.)

Jack NSM
yes Jack the Amen to that was  about the superb sound of nicks room , I spent half hour in there but could have stayed all day . :x

GLB

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2015
Newquey Cornwall
AKA
Chris Schwar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone recognise this wammer , him and his wife Anne where very helpful assisting us in both setting up and packing away our room , just like to show my appreciation . 

wigwam.jpg

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Some from my quick walk around:

Kegworth Hifi Show 2018 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And some of Room 19

Only had a quick walk around but as others have mentioned, the rooms were better suited this year, less wedging massive systems into tiny rooms.

Highlights for me were Henry's Tannoy system, always excellent and just sounds so right! Steve57's OB/Hybrid speakers were as always excellent too, nice evolution over the shows in the various different guises. :^

The Shahinian speakers were interesting, loved the idea of Omnidirectional Speakers, never heard a pair so that was ticked off the list, same with the  Boenicke on the top floor, amazing amount of bass from such a small speaker.

Great to catch up with everyone after missing last year, and special thanks to my babysitter who's name alludes me. :$

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles