Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was looking at the Totem Acoustic Bison Tower which has a price of 3500 Canadian dollars equating to approximately £2000
Current UK price from a dealer is £3300. Where the hell does the extra £1300 originate from. I have plucked a random figure of
say £200 shippping. So this gives VAT figure of £440 so a total of £2440, no other duties are applicable using code 8518210000
for items coming from Canada. So we have a difference of £860. Now this does not count in two factors. The Canadian dealer is making his
profit within the £2000 and should the goods not be shipped less any Canadian tax that would be levied on a Canadian buyer?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your shipping figure at least is a little light . Much depends for the cost and the volume shipped . A full 20ft Container from Canada to UK is about $1900 currently but that is only port to port there will be Canadian haulage and UK haulage to add to that . This would then need to be divided by the number of speaker pairs packed inside . It is not I think likely that a full container would be used even for the UK Distributor so those costs will only increase . Totem will sell the speakers to the Distributor at a reduced price and he will will add his mark up for advertising , storage and distribution and his profit which will make up the price he sells to dealers / shops . All this adds up and to be honest adds nothing to the product but it is the reality of selling imported goods in the UK .

• Upvote
Reactions: Trumpton Riots

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really struggle to understand why people bother to post queries like this. The same goods at different prices in different markets? Not exactly a shocker is it? Not without a myriad other examples.

Is it that this isn't 'fair'? Well, most of us realised early in life that little is 'fair' (whatever that means). Many also fail to understand 'market forces'.

Other than having a rant, what is the purpose of this query? As a result of this query pose yourself a question

Q. Will the situation change

A. No

OK, there may be some knowledge to be gained about various aspects of international cross border trade, but I very much doubt that that was the original intention. It's just a rant; fair enough. Is it a HiFi Q&A topic? No, not really. Local economics and product pricing sub section of an economics forum, maybe.

If the price asked isn't to the buyers taste or pocket then don't buy it.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Totem have been expensive in the UK for a long time, I noticed when I was looking around 10 years ago. I'm sure some UK brands are more expensive in Canada than here. You are lucky you don't live in Australia where every HiFi product seems a lot more expensive.

Reactions: maddog_007

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Totem are imported into Belgium.

Rip Off Britain does the rest...

I've had 2 pairs of Totem Forests, the originals and the Signature High Gloss version I have here.

My original pair actually increased in value so much that my Signatures 'only' cost me £2k in the trade in! 😀

Witterings

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Other than having a rant, what is the purpose of this query?

"Other than having a rant" ... how rude and what was the purpose of your reply other than having a different type of rant?

I really struggle to understand why people bother to post queries like this.

From the outset, just came across as full of your own bitterness and wanting to vent that out on someone else.

No positive contribution what so ever .... maybe you shoukd change your username to Mr Happy or Mr Helpful .... and good luck to you.

• Cat
Reactions: Ray Vardy

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
As a Canadian, now an expat, I can say shipping has always been expensive in Canada. Perhaps it was an attempt at protectionism from the reasonable pricing of our southern neighbour, but that doesn't explain the cost of outbound shipping. It could also be trying to support logistics in a large nation with a thinly spread population? The 200 shipping quote someone above quoted is way off though. I had a pair of floorstanders (ninkas) shipped from the UK to Taiwan and it was £300, I had a pair of standmounts (212's), and it was CAD800. Both of these were person to person, no corporate volume discounts.

Germany also seems to have very expensive carriage rates? I bought a watch from a German and the shipping was $150! That doesn't make sense with DHL being headquartered there, and it being an export powerhouse, but policy or greed prevail.

So take the above, then add the hop from Belgium, and I think you can see the increased cost can be accounted for easily in carriage and duties.

Reactions: Ray Vardy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles