Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't like to rely on Qobuz nor Tidal to provide me with albums that I like. Their existence on these platforms in too precarious. So I end up buying the CDs. If they were available on LP I'd already own them. So I have these recently purchased CDs still in the wrappers as I just listen on Qobuz or Tidal.

• Upvote
Reactions: Chris 1970

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't like to rely on Qobuz nor Tidal to provide me with albums that I like. Their existence on these platforms in too precarious. So I end up buying the CDs. If they were available on LP I'd already own them. So I have these recently purchased CDs still in the wrappers as I just listen on Qobuz or Tidal.
It is unlikely that Spotify will go away? I just can't wait for Spotify HIFI.

Reactions: akamatsu

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I ripped all my CD's a few years ago to my QNAP NAS.
Nowadays I just buy the downloads of the album, not the CD.
I have no need for Qobuz/Tidal etc..
Personally I find it strange for a music fan to not use any streaming service at all. The massive music libraries are such an amazing resource! I can see pretty much any music recommendation here or elsewhere and just check it out :) .

I'm pleased I never got to the point of ripping my CD collection and missed out that step by going straight to online music streaming.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally I find it strange for a music fan to not use any streaming service at all.
I agree. To me, it's a no-brainer. I first jumped on Mog about 20+years ago after it was recommend by my Linn dealer. When Tidal first came out, it was a revelation, CD quality streaming? It was the beginning of a golden age of music discovery. I still buy LPs and CDs of stuff I really like. But some seem content listening to the same music for 40 or 50 years. I tend to get tired of it and look for something fresh.

jethanger

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree. To me, it's a no-brainer. I first jumped on Mog about 20+years ago after it was recommend by my Linn dealer. When Tidal first came out, it was a revelation, CD quality streaming? It was the beginning of a golden age of music discovery. I still buy LPs and CDs of stuff I really like. But some seem content listening to the same music for 40 or 50 years. I tend to get tired of it and look for something fresh.
That's pretty much how I am , I only have 420 vinyl albums , and I think I only listen to about fifty of them and feel that I would get a more satisfying , and varied, experience from a better quality streaming set up funded by the sale of vinyl and equipment.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In case it's of interest my own switch to 100% streaming went like this...

I'd been using a miniDSP 2x4 HD as DAC/pre-amp for about a year but it wasn't great for this due to the lack of screen, and it wasn't the highest quality DAC either. Then I spotted an ex-dem miniDSP SHD and decided to buy it to improve on these two aspects. The SHD also has built in streaming capability (what the 'S' stands for) but when I bought it I honestly thought I didn't want this, and actually begrudged paying more for functionality I didn't think I'd want. Having got it I did though dabble with streaming via some trial deals, mostly with Tidal although I would not use the now. For context I have ballpark 1000 CDs but no vinyl but my streaming trials lead to me realising that it basically rendered my CD collection pointless, and that I was listening to far more music via streaming than I had previously. As well as the huge music library, another factor was that I was no longer concerned about 'using up' the finite life of the laser in my CD transport.

I do still have all my CDs but they're on shelves upstairs and only now get used in my car. I've been 100% streaming for roughly two years now I think, using Qobuz. I wouldn't personally recommend Tidal due to MQA, providing lossy streaming at an inflated prices, vs Qobuz' true CD and high res. streams for less money. Other lossless streaming services include Amazon HD, Apple Music and Deezer.

jethanger

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In case it's of interest my own switch to 100% streaming went like this...

I'd been using a miniDSP 2x4 HD as DAC/pre-amp for about a year but it wasn't great for this due to the lack of screen, and it wasn't the highest quality DAC either. Then I spotted an ex-dem miniDSP SHD and decided to buy it to improve on these two aspects. The SHD also has built in streaming capability (what the 'S' stands for) but when I bought it I honestly thought I didn't want this, and actually begrudged paying more for functionality I didn't think I'd want. Having got it I did though dabble with streaming via some trial deals, mostly with Tidal although I would not use the now. For context I have ballpark 1000 CDs but no vinyl but my streaming trials lead to me realising that it basically rendered my CD collection pointless, and that I was listening to far more music via streaming than I had previously. As well as the huge music library, another factor was that I was no longer concerned about 'using up' the finite life of the laser in my CD transport.

I do still have all my CDs but they're on shelves upstairs and only now get used in my car. I've been 100% streaming for roughly two years now I think, using Qobuz. I wouldn't personally recommend Tidal due to MQA, providing lossy streaming at an inflated prices, vs Qobuz' true CD and high res. streams for less money. Other lossless streaming services include Amazon HD, Apple Music and Deezer.
Thanks Martin , I think that sums up what I’m thinking 👍

Reactions: quinn_t

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unless you like collecting physical products and indexing them, or have a passion for fiddling with cartridge settings I think streaming is an obvious winner every time. Once the generations with collections of vinyl and CD pass on the faster the change will be. Its a relatively modern format and who knows how or what we will stream in 10/20 years ?

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unless you find vinyl sounds better than streaming.
I started doing streaming at around 2008 when the logitech transporter came around, but I still keep listening to LPs.

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unless you find vinyl sounds better than streaming.
I do find vinyl, for the most part, to sound better. There's just more musical information available. This is what keeps me preferring and listening to LPs over DS. As for the manual labour and expense, it's been part of my life practically my entire life. Pretty used to it by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles