Igor Strawinsky

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
Im not really a classical fan,but i always buy a couple of classical lps from charity shops as they are always in VGC.Tonight i put one on just for a change the album is.

Der feuervogel (Firebird).Jeu de cartes. London sympony orchestra.Claudio Abbado.What a wonderful supprise what a fantastic piece of music.Will have to try and find more Igor Strawinsky

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Mick, I love all of his work, but my favourite and probably his best known work is "Rite of Spring"

for certain worth getting.

I should add that you will sometimes see it under its French name "Le Sacre du Printemps"

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All of Claudio Abbado's LSO Stravinsky recordings are excellent if you can find them.

His works get a bit more knottier after Rite of Spring, but the 3 symphonies - Symphony in C, Symphony in 3 Movements and Symphony of Psalms are great music.

tryant

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 29, 2008
United Kingdom
The version of the Rite of Spring (Le Sacre du printemps) for two pianos played by Ashkenazy and Gavrilov is fantabulous.

Another personal fav is the recording of Stravinsky's The Soldier's Tale (Histoire du soldat) with Cocteau and Ustinov. Très drôle.

culturecrammer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2010
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Riccardo Chailly's 2-cd set of the ballets (Petrouchka, Rite of Spring, Firebird suite, Jeu de cartes and Apollon musagete) on Decca is a must-hear. Beautifully played by the Concertgebouw with a chamber-like transparency, and stunningly recorded :^

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
Riccardo Chailly's 2-cd set of the ballets (Petrouchka, Rite of Spring, Firebird suite, Jeu de cartes and Apollon musagete) on Decca is a must-hear. Beautifully played by the Concertgebouw with a chamber-like transparency, and stunningly recorded :^
Hello do you have link for the above.

cheers

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
This

is very good: 22 CDs for £25, mostly recordings conducted by the composer himself. Click on the pic for the link. :)

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
Recieved yesterday it is totally fantastic all the way through.Can you recommend more classical music which is simular to this.

Thanks

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
Hello Steve.I mean simular music in general.There must be so much great classical music out there but i wouldnt know where to start looking.

culturecrammer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2010
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There certainly is, the repertoire is vast and I know how you feel - I felt like that a few years back when I started down the classical road. What is it exactly that you like about the Stravinsky? What is it you are looking for - music that is 'similar' to the Stravinsky in what way? From what you do know about classical, what are your instinctive likes/dislikes? The more I understand this the better I can advise you about where to go next.

Hello Steve.I mean simular music in general.There must be so much great classical music out there but i wouldnt know where to start looking.

culturecrammer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2010
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also your age and your tastes in non-classical music will also help me here. BTW glad you enjoyed the Chailly CD! :)

There certainly is, the repertoire is vast and I know how you feel - I felt like that a few years back when I started down the classical road. What is it exactly that you like about the Stravinsky? What is it you are looking for - music that is 'similar' to the Stravinsky in what way? From what you do know about classical, what are your instinctive likes/dislikes? The more I understand this the better I can advise you about where to go next.

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
Hello Steve,I would say stravinsky sounds the way the 1812 overture sounds nice quite pieces of music then blow your socks of volume power.It thrilling send tingles up my spine.Its like Theme on a paganini which is fantastic..I am listening to Le sacre Du pertemps as i type and it is fantastic.So i guess i like explosive classical music if there is such a thing.

culturecrammer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2010
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you like Russian passion, and it sounds like you do, try Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Piano-Concerto-Pyotr-Ilyich/dp/B000001GS4/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1306004116&sr=1-2

and for something more modern/Stravinsky-like, another great Russian piano concerto which will knock your socks off: Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No 1 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prokofiev-Piano-Concertos-Vladimir-Ashkenazy/dp/B0000041LA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1306004395&sr=1-1

For something massive and explosively symphonic try these warhorses:

Holst - The Planets: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holst-Planets-Charles-Dutoit/dp/B0002852JY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306003542&sr=8-2-spell

Strauss - Alpine Symphony http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strauss-Eine-Alpensinfonie-Alpine-Symphony/dp/B000001GK2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1306003634&sr=1-1

OR Strauss - Also Spake Zarathustra (this was used in the film 2001) http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=zarathustra&x=0&y=0

With classical, which version you get is very important. All of the above are great, universally admired performances, and they're all reasonably cheap.

Let me know how you get on!

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Hello Steve,I would say stravinsky sounds the way the 1812 overture sounds nice quite pieces of music then blow your socks of volume power.It thrilling send tingles up my spine.Its like Theme on a paganini which is fantastic..I am listening to Le sacre Du pertemps as i type and it is fantastic.So i guess i like explosive classical music if there is such a thing.
Try Janacek's Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba.

Or Walton's First Symphony (Previn/LSO on RCA is yer man).

Mebbe Beethoven 5: Kleiber/VPO on DG, coupled with 7; or Vanska/Minnesota SO, coupled with 4, has better sound, but, to my mind, is not as exciting as Kleiber and I prefer 7 to 4.

Possibly also Verdi's Requiem?

culturecrammer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2010
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes Kleiber over Vanska every time!

Try Janacek's Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba.Or Walton's First Symphony (Previn/LSO on RCA is yer man).

Mebbe Beethoven 5: Kleiber/VPO on DG, coupled with 7; or Vanska/Minnesota SO, coupled with 4, has better sound, but, to my mind, is not as exciting as Kleiber and I prefer 7 to 4.

Possibly also Verdi's Requiem?

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is hardly a recent discussion, ;), but this seems like the most appropriate place for this comment so it will be placed here. Klassik is not one who listens to Stravinsky's music very often, but for whatever reason, Klassik desired listening to an old CD Klassik owns of Le Sacre du printemps performed in 1968 by Seiji Ozawa and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Also on the CD, but certainly no filler, is The Firebird Suite performed in 1964 by Erich Leinsdorf and the Boston Symphony Orchestra. The recordings are obviously quite old, and even the digital remastering on the CD Klassik owns is quite old as it is from 1991, but the performances are still quite riveting to listen to loudly on the Hi-Fi as Klassik did last night. 😮

Here are some samples. First, here is Le Sacre du printemps. This is the same recording Klassik has on CD, but it's not the same CD. The one in the YouTube link is a newer remastering. Ozawa performs Le Sacre du printemps with fairly fast tempi in this this performance.

This sample from The Firebird Suite is from the same album that Klassik has on CD.

El Klassiko probably ought to dig out the Petrushka Suite CD Klassik has which has been similarly neglected as the above CD.

Reactions: Le Baron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles