Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That looks like it means business, really good accessible flexibility too. Like mine but with the added mono functionality etc.

Reactions: Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jon, I'd be happy to bring my Nords to yours, once you pull your finger out and sort this bake off that you've been threatening since forever. 😴😴😴😴😴😴😴
Few issues here over the past few months John. Mainly the house, leaks, tree falling on roof, nothing major 😂
New job and some domestic issues with ex but nothing I can’t handle 😊

Last edited:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, I’ve had the new one in place for a day or so and like anything, it was a bit dry and clinical to the point of dissatisfaction but with persistence, we are sitting here tonight and hearing why I said this was so good.
Generally a design like this is out of my comfort zone because of the technology but I’ve easily dismissed products like this in the past.
We all know that playing Yello on any system can make it sound really good but it really is that good because it’s so well recorded (I wish every album was) but living in the real world there are few products that are masters of everything but I’ve never purchased music JUST to make a system sound good. Being honest, I was hearing additional notes that I swear I hadn’t heard before and to prove I wasn’t hearing perception, I swapped back and forth to my other stage to check and yes, I’m not going mad 😊
This little stage is even showing up some more costlier stages!
Getting back to the day to day music like Supertramp, Cat Stevens, Pink Floyd etc, it was pulling extremely tight bass lines and background instruments into the mix which is no mean feat for any item of this value.
Sticking to copper cables throughout the system proved most rewarding. The little meter in the centre looks a bit of a gimmick but actually proved accurate on loading and confirmed the 10x internal impedance rule.
I’m keen to improve things by using the fully balanced option but not able to do that just yet but by all accounts, using just the turntable to Teac in XLR configuration reaps rewards and not to mention being able to move the turntable further away.
Subsonic filter works but takes away some bass but apparently there is a firmware update for this which I will look at eventually.
So I am enjoying this little flexible box and it’s taken me out of my predictable comfort zone which obviously is a good thing.

Oh, I got my Dual 505/AT95 out of storage for my other half’s lad but ran it on the stage and yup, sounded far better than it should! Overkill yes but fun.

854760EB-D9DE-48FE-8B82-DCCDBA8C8251.jpeg

Last edited:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Rockchild Jon thanks for the write up. It’s great to read about a good product from an unlikely manufacturer; I would never have considered Teac for vinyl even though I have used Tascam recording products for 35 years.

Last edited:

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really great overview of your findings with the Teac.

Will be interesting if there are any improvements by going all balanced.

Also the fact an issue with the subsonic filter is being supported by firmware shows good ongoing support.

Reactions: Rockchild and DomT

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, sadly the enjoyment didn’t last long. Started to get various issues with loading or internal failures. I’m not one to get yet another one and it’s out of stock with no ETA so it’s over. Sad because it was producing some pretty decent sounds that were unusual at this price point.

So, inbound is the R35

E965F6DA-6C21-46C1-9A62-F7B1C3D70558.jpeg

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So how is the Teac different in design and parts from other quality stages?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, sadly the enjoyment didn’t last long. Started to get various issues with loading or internal failures. I’m not one to get yet another one and it’s out of stock with no ETA so it’s over. Sad because it was producing some pretty decent sounds that were unusual at this price point.

So, inbound is the R35

Lovely! I guess you read @Beobloke ’s review? Check out the superb noise and overload performance too.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/primare-r35-phono-preamplifier

Reactions: Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lovely! I guess you read @Beobloke ’s review? Check out the superb noise and overload performance too.

Briefly but I’m very open minded. I originally sold the Sugden because the opportunity was there without loss and it made someone coming back into Hifi very happy. He lived locally and I set up his system with my Sugden as he was unable to due to health. I had a lot of pleasure doing it and seeing his face when the stylus hit the groove… anyway back on track, I had three I wanted to try at less money which was the Teac, Primare and the Tron. Flexibility was key so the Tron lost, the Teac was fully balanced and ticked all the boxes but reliability failed so in comes the R35

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Interesting reading the hifi news lab report. They recommend use of the sb sonic filter if you have reflex bass loaded speakers - why would that be? My phono has a sub sonic filter but it doesn’t seem to make any difference in my system, but my bass cabinets are sealed. What is the point of this filter generally?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting reading the hifi news lab report. They recommend use of the sb sonic filter if you have reflex bass loaded speakers - why would that be? My phono has a sub sonic filter but it doesn’t seem to make any difference in my system, but my bass cabinets are sealed. What is the point of this filter generally?
It stops the ported woofer flapping excessively on the slightest warp. Any cartridge less than ideally matched to arm mass can ‘bulge’ in the subsonic area where’s there’s no useful music. But it drains the amp of power and heats up your woofer, so is best filtered out.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

So, inbound is the R35

Such a shame. I have used Tascam recording products since the 80s and my wife has a ten year old micro system so it’s sad that both you and @nomore landings have had problems with Teac new offerings. Best of luck with the new gear.

May I suggest a Trilogy 906. I thought that it was the best stage at £1000

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Such a shame. I have used Tascam recording products since the 80s and my wife has a ten year old micro system so it’s sad that both you and @nomore landings have had problems with Teac new offerings. Best of luck with the new gear.

May I suggest a Trilogy 906. I thought that it was the best stage at £1000
The Primare is more than the £1000 mark Dom but is extremely flexible as was the Teac. The Tron was another option but fixed gain and resistance. My Benz is a 0.8mV output so having a phonostage that has flexibility in the gain is a must.
If you get the Benz bang on, it’s an extremely wonderful performer.
What the Teac was good at was measuring capacitance including the phono cable. It was a nice touch but I just had my doubts on reliability after the failure.
Hifi is a lot of money generally and getting it right as you know is paramount.

I have been offered a class D amp to try out too so I can give my verdict driving the Harbeths. I have no concerns on them driving the Harbeths but need to be convinced on the midrange. The last class D hardened the sound but that was 10 years ago.

Reactions: DomT

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Primare is more than the £1000 mark Dom but is extremely flexible as was the Teac. The Tron was another option but fixed gain and resistance. My Benz is a 0.8mV output so having a phonostage that has flexibility in the gain is a must.
If you get the Benz bang on, it’s an extremely wonderful performer.
What the Teac was good at was measuring capacitance including the phono cable. It was a nice touch but I just had my doubts on reliability after the failure.
Hifi is a lot of money generally and getting it right as you know is paramount.

I have been offered a class D amp to try out too so I can give my verdict driving the Harbeths. I have no concerns on them driving the Harbeths but need to be convinced on the midrange. The last class D hardened the sound but that was 10 years ago.
Best of luck. The Trilogy 906 is adjustable and to my ears was the only stage that could complete with my custom valve stage. But not a surprise as Trilogy make valve gear. Maybe worth a listen. https://hifiplus.com/articles/trilogy-audio-systems-906-phono-stage/

I use an Audio Research DSI200 with class D power amp stage and it sounds marvellous with the Harbeths. Worth checking out class D but this ARC is their custom design. Lurch’s class D amps sounded really great at this place.

Beyond you

Tuesday Music Night’s Est:1978
Wammer Plus
Feb 4, 2013
Hants
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

So, inbound is the R35

I’ve got the R32 Jon not balanced but sounds lovely and built like a brick 💩 house 👍
Also consider the Musical Fidelity M6X which is balanced, all settings are at the front and plus you can connect 3 turntables. Just in case you want to buy another Gyro or Orbe lol. My mate has got the M6X it’s. Very good!
I also like the look of the Pro-ject balanced phono stages!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles