Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here is my main home headphone system, and desktop speaker system. I have a pair of APPJ valve amps - one for driving headphones, and the other one for driving an old pair of modified Tandy Genexxa LX5 speakers with the unusual Linaeum tweeter.

• Raspberry Pi/Moode Audio OS/iFi Nano iUSB3.0
  • Bel Canto uLink USB to S/PDIF converter powered by AQVOX linear PSU
  • Original Hugo driven from the S/PDIF interface
  • Audeze LCD-3 Fazor
  • Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cable
  • Sennheiser HD580
  • AKG 701
  • Tandy Genexxa LX5, rewired with new crossover
  • IsoAcoustics Stands
  • Miniwatt N3 speaker amp
  • APPJ PA1502A headphone amp
  • Duelund interconnects and speaker cable
  • Black Cat USB and S/PDIF cables
  • SSC Minibase amplifier stands
  • Isotek EVO3 Premier mains cables

IMG_20180825_145152200.jpg

Here the two APPJ valve amps. The Minwatt N3 speaker has a pair of Psvane EL84s with a TJ Full Music 12AX7 and the PA1502A headphone amp has a pair of Genalex Gold Lion CV511 / 6V6GT Cryo'd output valves and a Psvane 12AX7. I've replaced the metal feet with rubber Acoustifeet, and they sit on SSC Minibases. When I'm using the Hugo as a portable I use the HD USB input, but for desktop prefer the Coax input via a Bel Canto uLink USB to S/PDIF converter

IMG_20180825_145231391.jpg

Here are my three full size headphones. I love the Audeze LCD-3 driven by the APPJ PA1502A, it makes them sound almost like electrostatics as there is so much sweet detail, and the bass seems to be at least as good as via the Hugo direct. The Audezes are quite heavy though and I find they can get quite sweaty and uncomfortable on a hot evening. I saw the AKG 701s going for just over 100 pounds including shipping on Amazon Spain, and I thought for that price I've got nothing to lose and maybe they would still sound really good, but be a bit more comfortable than the Audezes on hot evenings. I use the Sennheisers for watching films on YouTube, but they sound better with the APPJ for music than they have ever done before.

IMG_20180825_145944082.jpg

My various other headphone bits and pieces:

• iFi Black Label Micro iDSD
  • iFi Nano iDSD
  • Original Sennheiser Momentum over ears
  • Audeze Sine headphones
  • Ortofon eQ5 IEMs
  • KZ ATE IEMs
  • Shanling M0 DAP

I had been using my Android phone as a USB transport until recently, but I have switched to the amazing little Shanling M0 instead. I've tried it with both my iFi Nano and Hugo with good results, and I'm looking forward to trying it with my iFi BL Micro iDSD too. The Shanling M0 is actually good enough to use for driving IEM headphones directly and works really well with my Ortofon eQ5s and KZ ATEs.

I've got another couple of KZ IEMs on order - a KZ KSA and a KZ KST with silver upgrade cables as they are going for peanuts on GearBest - about 12 pounds for each headphone and 6 pounds for the cables.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's a pretty comprehensive setup! I've tended to stick to one headphone for indoor listening and others for travelling etc.

Current main setup is based on the Sony Signature Series 70th Anniversary kit. I've got the NW-WM1A hi-res Walkman with about 500gb of music, the TA-ZH1ES headphone amp/DAC, add the Z1R headphones. I can also use these with my Leben CS300XS valve amp.

Shown here playing a DSD256 guitar recording from Eudora:

• Upvote
  • Love
Reactions: DomT and Beyond you

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's a pretty comprehensive setup! I've tended to stick to one headphone for indoor listening and others for travelling etc.

Current main setup is based on the Sony Signature Series 70th Anniversary kit. I've got the NW-WM1A hi-res Walkman with about 500gb of music, the TA-ZH1ES headphone amp/DAC, add the Z1R headphones. I can also use these with my Leben CS300XS valve amp.

Shown here playing a DSD256 guitar recording from Eudora:

I suppose when I list all the headphone gear I've got, there seems to be an awful lot of it. But I mainly listen to the LCD-3s in my main flat, Audeze Sines in the smaller flat and Sennheiser Momentums when travelling. But the amazing Shanling M0 is getting me back into listening to IEMs again, especially as all these KZ models are so dirt cheap.

The Sony gear looks gorgeous. I've been doing a bit of googling for reviews of the MDR-Z1R and they seem to be mostly positive on Head Fi and What HiFi, apart from review Inner Fidelity which thought they were too bass heavy. Maybe synergy with the amp driving them is quite important and I assume the TA-ZH1ES is designed with driving the MDR-Z1Rs in mind.

I've been really pleased by how much better my LCD-3s sound with a valve amp, rather than driven direct from the Hugo. I always thought the LCD-3s were pretty good, but not quite as amazing as I thought they should be even after upgrading to a Nordost headphone cable. I've never heard a Leben, but it sounds as though it should make a pretty great headphone amp as well as a speaker amp.

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suppose when I list all the headphone gear I've got, there seems to be an awful lot of it. But I mainly listen to the LCD-3s in my main flat, Audeze Sines in the smaller flat and Sennheiser Momentums when travelling. But the amazing Shanling M0 is getting me back into listening to IEMs again, especially as all these KZ models are so dirt cheap.

The Sony gear looks gorgeous. I've been doing a bit of googling for reviews of the MDR-Z1R and they seem to be mostly positive on Head Fi and What HiFi, apart from review Inner Fidelity which thought they were too bass heavy. Maybe synergy with the amp driving them is quite important and I assume the TA-ZH1ES is designed with driving the MDR-Z1Rs in mind.

I've been really pleased by how much better my LCD-3s sound with a valve amp, rather than driven direct from the Hugo. I always thought the LCD-3s were pretty good, but not quite as amazing as I thought they should be even after upgrading to a Nordost headphone cable. I've never heard a Leben, but it sounds as though it should make a pretty great headphone amp as well as a speaker amp.
I used to have  pair of LCD-3 and used them with my Leben. Fantastic combination. At the time, I also had a Hugo and used it into the Leben with the cross-feed function. Have you tried using the Hugo into the valve amp and using cross-feed? Some music where the cross-feed really works sounds probably the best I've ever heard with headphones. I've also had Stax 007II and my Sonys, and all three are great.

Reactions: JamieMcC

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to have  pair of LCD-3 and used them with my Leben. Fantastic combination. At the time, I also had a Hugo and used it into the Leben with the cross-feed function. Have you tried using the Hugo into the valve amp and using cross-feed? Some music where the cross-feed really works sounds probably the best I've ever heard with headphones. I've also had Stax 007II and my Sonys, and all three are great.
Thanks - that's really interesting. I had been thinking of upgrading the valve amp in my main speaker system to a PrimaLuna with more that 5 watts per channel, but I think the Leben CS600 could be great as it has a headphone output like the CX300XS and a bit more power with the EL34s.

I've never tried the cross feed on my Hugo, I'll give it a go.

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks - that's really interesting. I had been thinking of upgrading the valve amp in my main speaker system to a PrimaLuna with more that 5 watts per channel, but I think the Leben CS600 could be great as it has a headphone output like the CX300XS and a bit more power with the EL34s.

I've never tried the cross feed on my Hugo, I'll give it a go.
I don't know if the CS600 has more power on its' headphone output than the CS300XS. I use the CS300XS in my living room with small Harbeths and rarely feel the need for more power.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know if the CS600 has more power on its' headphone output than the CS300XS. I use the CS300XS in my living room with small Harbeths and rarely feel the need for more power.
I was meaning more power to drive my Tannoy Autograph Mini speakers, or larger Tannoys that I might get in the future.

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was meaning more power to drive my Tannoy Autograph Mini speakers, or larger Tannoys that I might get in the future.
Not necessary with the minis. I used my 300XS with Tannoy Kensington SE 10" for a while. Nice, but I prefer small speakers.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You guys have some very nice kit, I have been very tempted by the LCD 3 myself but have yet to take the plunge. 

I have a few amps, sources and headphones but have been feeling lately that I need to think seriously about my listening requirements and maybe have a good clear out and refocus.

The set up I do 90% of my listening is 

Oppo 205  feeding the dac section from a small desk top pc ->

Bottlehead Mainline tube amp (also makes a superb pre for my power amp) ->

HD800 with SuperDupont resonator.

I also have the Hifiman HE-6 but haven't been using it lately as at the moment as I haven't got a amp to do it justice.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You guys have some very nice kit, I have been very tempted by the LCD 3 myself but have yet to take the plunge. 

I have a few amps, sources and headphones but have been feeling lately that I need to think seriously about my listening requirements and maybe have a good clear out and refocus.

The set up I do 90% of my listening is 

Oppo 205  feeding the dac section from a small desk top pc ->

Bottlehead Mainline tube amp (also makes a superb pre for my power amp) ->

HD800 with SuperDupont resonator.

I also have the Hifiman HE-6 but haven't been using it lately as at the moment as I haven't got a amp to do it justice.

Nice - I've just been reading your review of the Bottlehead on HeadFi. I don't have any experience of valve headphone amps other than my APPJ PA1502A and so I don't really know where it stands in relation to more expensive amps like the Leben or Bottlehead that we've been discussing. I assume you find the Hifiman HE-6 needs more power than the Bottlehead provides? The LCD-3s seem to be reasonably easy to drive compared with some, and I assume the Bottlehead would work.

Reactions: JamieMcC

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Nice - I've just been reading your review of the Bottlehead on HeadFi. I don't have any experience of valve headphone amps other than my APPJ PA1502A and so I don't really know where it stands in relation to more expensive amps like the Leben or Bottlehead that we've been discussing. I assume you find the Hifiman HE-6 needs more power than the Bottlehead provides? The LCD-3s seem to be reasonably easy to drive compared with some, and I assume the Bottlehead would work.
The HE-6 will work and sound to be honest ok-ish of many headphone amps with around 600mw or more output but it really doesn't sound anything special as many of the reviews allude to and you wonder what the fuss is about. I did use it for some time with my Bottlehead Sex a 2w sets amp with headphone and speaker outputs and it sounded better but it wasn't until I tried it with the 6W Nelson Pass ACA that it really came alive when it does so it has a very engaging and immersive quality that draws you in makes you forget how heavy and uncomfortable it is.  I've tried maybe a dozen or more amps with it ranging in power from 330mw to 150W and none of them had the synergy the 6W ACA had.

A old pic of my Sex Sets tube amp and Pass ACA which is on the left

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The HE-6 will work and sound to be honest ok-ish of many headphone amps with around 600mw or more output but it really doesn't sound anything special as many of the reviews allude to and you wonder what the fuss is about. I did use it for some time with my Bottlehead Sex a 2w sets amp with headphone and speaker outputs and it sounded better but it wasn't until I tried it with the 6W Nelson Pass ACA that it really came alive when it does so it has a very engaging and immersive quality that draws you in makes you forget how heavy and uncomfortable it is.  I've tried maybe a dozen or more amps with it ranging in power from 330mw to 150W and none of them had the synergy the 6W ACA had.

A old pic of my Sex Sets tube amp and Pass ACA which is on the left

It sounds like you've got a lot more high end headphone experience than I have. I think I was surprised how different and better my APPJ headphone amp was in relation to using the Hugo driving the Audezes direct, when the Hugo got rave reviews with testers using Audezes with it. i still think the Hugo is great, but I've got some inkling now that there are large differences between High End headphone amps. I believe Audeze recommend between 1 and 4 watts to drive their headphones, although they don't specify which models and they vary quite a lot in efficiency, so I'm not sure how useful that recommendation is. My APPJ is rated at 0.5 watts into 100 ohms and the LCD-3s are 120 ohms, but as long as my ears tell me it's fine, it must be fine.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It sounds like you've got a lot more high end headphone experience than I have. I think I was surprised how different and better my APPJ headphone amp was in relation to using the Hugo driving the Audezes direct, when the Hugo got rave reviews with testers using Audezes with it. i still think the Hugo is great, but I've got some inkling now that there are large differences between High End headphone amps. I believe Audeze recommend between 1 and 4 watts to drive their headphones, although they don't specify which models and they vary quite a lot in efficiency, so I'm not sure how useful that recommendation is. My APPJ is rated at 0.5 watts into 100 ohms and the LCD-3s are 120 ohms, but as long as my ears tell me it's fine, it must be fine.
Its probably best to be cautious with online reviews and take them with a pinch of salt there seems to be a lot of product placement going on. Like you I tend to trust what my own ears are telling me and prefer to seek out those on forums who have had the same item and have been able to give personal impressions in comparison to something of interest.  I only started building diy amps as buying new for a long while was beyond my reach and now find the process enjoyable when time allows.  Other than headphone amps in the past from the likes of Lehmann and Graham Slee I don't really have much to directly compare performances to other than the progression of my own bits of kit. 

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
LCD3 doesn't need loads of power. An ipad will drive it perfectly well to deafening levels. I've seen electrical measurements proving this.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
LCD3 doesn't need loads of power. An ipad will drive it perfectly well to deafening levels. I've seen electrical measurements proving this.
Ok, then I think my APPJ PA1502A amp is fine power wise - it certainly sounds like it has enough dynamics and bass. It cost about 165 pounds including shipping from China, with another 120 pounds including shipping for the best upgrade valves I could find, and replacement feet at 5 pounds which gives a grand total for the basic unit of 290 pounds. One of the best audio bargains you can find in my opinion.

Reactions: Nagraboy

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here is a picture of some more of my headphone bits and bobs. The iFi Black Label Micro iDSD is driving a pair of Audeze Sine headphones with a Shanling M0 used as a transport connected via an iFi USB-C OTG cable to the Micro iDSD. I think the combination of the Sines and Micro iDSD is magic - the DAC has a slightly dark sound, whereas the Sines could be slightly bright, but the combination just brings out the strengths of both. Transient attack in the music is reproduced really well, and so you get the feeling of terrific 'PRAT' as they say - an exciting ride. In comparison with my Audeze LCD-3/APPJ PA1502A combination the Sines lack in image size and harmonic richness and depth of bass maybe but that 'PRAT' is addictive!

I've recently improved my second speaker based system of an APPJ Miniwatt N3 driving some old Tandy LX5 speakers. Those speakers have an unique 'Lineaum' tweeter which a sort of omnidirectional ribbon, that has great transient response and transparency. I've changed the speaker and interconnect that small system (and my main system) to Duelund DCA16GA for the speaker cables and DCA20GA for the interconnects. I replaced the feet on the Miniwatt with 3M Acoustifeet and put them of SSC minibase stands, and also added some minimal acoustic treatment of Vicoustic foam panels and a DC2 diffuser to the room. I'm not sure exactly which of those changes had what effect as I did it all at the same time, but when I was listening to that little system as the transparency and fast attack hit me I just thinking 'Holy Crap!'. Despite spending loads of money on upgrading my main speaker system with acoustic treatments and Duelund cables which have hugely improved it, I have to say, I have rarely thought to myself 'Holy Crap!' like I have with the Tandy system today.

Similar, maybe to Audeze Sines don't have everything their big brothers do but the iDSD Micro/Sine combination did give me a lot of those 'Holy Crap' moments with that exciting transient attack and PRAT.

The picture shows the Shanling M0 being used as a transport, but I've spent a lot of time listening to it driving my Ortofon eQ5 IEMs and I'm loving that combination - I can just put the M0 in my pocket and it is so small and light I can just forget about it. The Shanling is still breaking in as I've been just using it as a transport for my Hugo, iFi Nano and iFi Micro, and the treble was sounding quite hot at first but after a few more hours, it seemed to be more neutral. I'm looking forward to hearing some cheapo KZ IEMs that I've ordered to see if there is a killer Shanling M0/KZ IEM out there that give you the sound quality of something like my Ortofon eQ5s which used to sell for about 200 pounds, for peanuts.

IMG_20180831_180539748.jpg

Reactions: Beyond you

Batty

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2009
Adelaide. Oztrayliya
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair of Q701s and a pair of Massdrop HE-4xx phones.

All my amplification for headphones is DIY, at the moment I am in the middle of building a WHAMMY amp. It will be going into one of these cases.

s-l500.jpg

I have a Valve amp too, on a breadboard :)

image_jpeg_ba4b496993b06b576ff9b559234d7373.jpg

I honestly can't remember what is in the other one.

Naughtilus

PhD in Twaddle
Wammer
Apr 10, 2014
Bitola, Macedonia
AKA
Vladimir
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My headphone setup:

AKG K702 / K141 / K280 

Technics SU-7700

Lexicon Alpha

Google CCA

I have things in a box, like DACs, amps (SMSL), LPSU etc. but I just plug cans directly wherever possible these days. Keeping it simple.

The headphone rack is of the type one would use in a studio, so fairly ugly, but I don't mind it. 

q5Wwh71.jpg

Reactions: Beyond you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online