Help with Linn equipment and 3 channels

Munds3d

Wammer
Mar 14, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Howdy, all!

1st post.

I need some expert advice pretty please! I'm using older Linn equipment, 2 Kabers and a Trikan as the front 3 channels to my simple AV setup. Backchannels later maybe. The Kabers are the L and R channels; the Trikan is the center. My budget AV receiver cannot drive the speakers worth anything as they are 4-ohms, and the AV receiver really wants only 8-ohm speakers, so I'm considering upgrading a bit. I'm considering getting a couple of LK85s from eBay to drive them and then upgrading to a better AV receiver with Pre-Outs.

Hoping you can help with these questions:
1. Can two LK85s be set up to drive my three speakers? I'm thinking I need the 2nd LK85 for the Trikan and would only use 1/2 of it, will this work?
2. Are LK85 a good match for my speakers?
3. Will the pre-out idea for the Linn amps work?
4. Have I picked the wrong solution? I'm very open to new ideas!

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know to much about linn kit, but only running 1 channel of a stereo power amp is fine.

If I'm honest, if it was me I'd get the better AV amp first (that has preouts), add the rears and then decide if you still need more grunt later on. 2nd hand AV amps can be stonking value for money if you don't mind not having the latest Atmos/codecs etc.

Not forgetting that by going that way, you can just get 1 stereo amp for your fronts and leave the centre/rears to the AV amp.

wonky1969

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2015
stondon massey
AKA
jason ruse
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Kabers require better amps than lk85 to sound they're best, i would say lk140 x2 as a minimum,a couple of klouts would drive them nicely,but at a price

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles