Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Help me out please guys. Am moving back to the UK next weekend and want to buy a TV and probably an OLED one.

I don’t have time for lots of research. I will watch it about 2 meters away from the TV in A small TV room so it doesn’t need to be large. Maybe 48-50inches is enough. Which model should I go for? It’s for documentaries and films. Audio will be through the HiFi system. TV provider will be Virgin. I will watch a mixture of terrestrial and Netflix content.

There is so much new terminology with TVs that it’s a lot to read up on and the majority is alien speak. What are the essential features eg 4k Upscaling? I have no idea.

I currently have a 2021 Samsung Q95 in Portugal and the picture quality is better than I need in that it is extremely explicit to the degree that you can count the number of pores on an actors face. This TV will stay in Portugal.

Last edited:

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spend 10 mins looking at the Hot Deals UK app. Search TVs and the best deals/tv's will be voted by users as hot. Also lots of comments in the streams from people about how good, or not, they are.

Doing this will get you a great deal and they have all sizes and budgets available.

If you don't need it immediately, you can also set up an alert to tell you when new "hot deals" are posted.

Reactions: DomT

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
LG , Go to Curry PC world they have about 40+ TV on show , My advice would be go for a LG I am a very happy 15 year user , Had a 50" for years now have a 62" Lovely.

Reactions: DomT and Nopiano

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
LG , Go to Curry PC world they have about 40+ TV on show , My advice would be go for a LG I am a very happy 15 year user , Had a 50" for years now have a 62" Lovely.
John Lewis as an alternative with lots on show.

And make sure you get at least a 5 year warranty included, because JL and Richer Sounds include that. Not everywhere does, I believe.

Reactions: DomT

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A lot is down to what you watch and how important you consider it. I've stuck with a decent-size Samsung LED here, rather than bothering with OLED or the like. Basically, most of the little I watch tends to be older films and DVD concerts, so all the extra definition will do is expose more of the flaws in the medium.

I've stuck with Samsung because, possibly down to luck, I've had them for decades and never had one go wrong.

Reactions: Tony_J and DomT

Pressure

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Sheffield, , United
AKA
Paul
Another recommendation for OLEDs here. LG is fine especially further up the range. Panasonic and Sony can be a bit better. 48” are available but no cheaper than the standard 55” (harder to cut the substrate into 48”, and lots of demand). Audio through hifi should sound great (much though I love my surround sound).

AVforums.com can be a great source of second hand bargains should you wish to go that route.

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dom there is a wide range out there, you didn't mention budget... For lg the ranges start with: a, b, c and g... From cheapest to best.

I bought a 55" c2 lg and it's fab... The only real bad thing is the reflective screen... So in bright daylight it's fine but can be a little distracting.

The only thing to be aware of LG launched what they call 'evo' panels which have a higher nit value or peak brightness... I'm not sure the smaller sizes have that upgraded panel.

From what I've read, seen and heard from others the b, c1 (2021) and c2(2022) are the best value. The newly launched c3s are expensive but the c1, c2 (Evo) are around heavily discounted... (As is the g but as I understand it that is wall mount only or at least isn't supplied with a stand)

Happy hunting 👍

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quick update to say thanks again for all of your help especially the reminder of the 5 year JL guarantee. They advised Sony over LG as the Google TV app is more intuitive. So I bought a Sony OLED XR55A80J. The 55” actually didn’t seem too big. TV is very much a secondary thing and so this should be good enough.

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The last 2 tv;'s iv'e owned have been LG OLED both came with a 6 yr warranty and the apps are the best by far and streaming films from my Nas has been problem free. My son has just got a Samsung LED because it was the only tv available in a 40" which was the largest TV he could fit in his space in the bedroom, I have an LG led as well in my music room. The Samsung destroys the lg led on normal tv the colours are much better but the apps are not as good and streaming from a Nas it only plays about 5% of the films as unsupported file formats or unsupported audio.
I would not hesitate in recommending an LG OLED by far superior but if you go led or Qled then Samsung but I'd be very reserved to buy a Samsung , also my mum had a Samsung we bought her and it had to be repaired after a year it got a line across the screen, the TV repair guy said he got a lot of them back from Samsung and Sony were even worse and he said LG by far had the least call outs. OLED is by far the best picture and most makes use an LG screen in them just so you're aware of that. ive always found cramptonandmoore. online to be the best and if you email them i've always got a further reduction of a couple of hundred £££ so worth checking them out.

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
The last 2 tv;'s iv'e owned have been LG OLED both came with a 6 yr warranty and the apps are the best by far and streaming films from my Nas has been problem free. My son has just got a Samsung LED because it was the only tv available in a 40" which was the largest TV he could fit in his space in the bedroom, I have an LG led as well in my music room. The Samsung destroys the lg led on normal tv the colours are much better but the apps are not as good and streaming from a Nas it only plays about 5% of the films as unsupported file formats or unsupported audio.
I would not hesitate in recommending an LG OLED by far superior but if you go led or Qled then Samsung but I'd be very reserved to buy a Samsung , also my mum had a Samsung we bought her and it had to be repaired after a year it got a line across the screen, the TV repair guy said he got a lot of them back from Samsung and Sony were even worse and he said LG by far had the least call outs. OLED is by far the best picture and most makes use an LG screen in them just so you're aware of that. ive always found cramptonandmoore. online to be the best and if you email them i've always got a further reduction of a couple of hundred £££ so worth checking them out.
martin are steaming directly to the TV ? have you considered a streaming box ? that should sort any problems with the files

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
martin are steaming directly to the TV ? have you considered a streaming box ? that should sort any problems with the files
Thanks it isn't important as its in my sons room he uses it for his xbox which can stream anyway. I just put it on here as a comparison to say Samsung apps are way behind LG , Panasonic arn't much good either. I will for main tv always buy an LG while OLED is the best screen, Samsung are better than lg if your using led and watch standard live tv I think some of the Qled are ok but they are a cheap mans OLED why save £200 just buy the best its little more difference than the price of your tv licence . the extra on OLDE is money very well spend if you watch tv even more so if your a movie buff.

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
Thanks it isn't important as its in my sons room he uses it for his xbox which can stream anyway. I just put it on here as a comparison to say Samsung apps are way behind LG , Panasonic arn't much good either. I will for main tv always buy an LG while OLED is the best screen, Samsung are better than lg if your using led and watch standard live tv I think some of the Qled are ok but they are a cheap mans OLED why save £200 just buy the best its little more difference than the price of your tv licence . the extra on OLDE is money very well spend if you watch tv even more so if your a movie buff.
Not much can beat my 902DX ;)

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Two posts previously I have already bought a TV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles