Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
System has developed an intermittent fault on one channel with very bad break up of the signal.

My brain is a bit fuzzy this morning, I put it down to the England game last night inducing a temporary shutdown- Stones, Maguire, Stones, Maguire, Stones, Magu…zzzzz

I have changed over the L/R interconnect into the back of the power amp, fault moves speaker. So speakers are OK, but does that also mean power amp is ok? Do I now work back through the pre and phono doing the same cable switch until the fault remains in the same speaker?

Anyone’s brain sharper than mine this morning?

• Mind Blown
Reactions: JANDL100

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
System has developed an intermittent fault on one channel with very bad break up of the signal.

My brain is a bit fuzzy this morning, I put it down to the England game last night inducing a temporary shutdown- Stones, Maguire, Stones, Maguire, Stones, Magu…zzzzz

I have changed over the L/R interconnect into the back of the power amp, fault moves speaker. So speakers are OK, but does that also mean power amp is ok? Do I now work back through the pre and phono doing the same cable switch until the fault remains in the same speaker?

Anyone’s brain sharper than mine this morning?
The power amp is ok if the noise changes sides when you swap preamp out channels.

Are you using one source or multiple sources?

If you are using one source, then swap the lead going into the preamp and see if the problem moves.

If you are using multiple sources then are you experiencing the same problem with all sources?

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The power amp is ok if the noise changes sides when you swap preamp out channels.

Are you using one source or multiple sources?

If you are using one source, then swap the lead going into the preamp and see if the problem moves.

If you are using multiple sources then are you experiencing the same problem with all sources?
Single source - TT

Sounds like I’m on the right track then - swap I/C lead channels working upstream until fault stays in same speaker

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great, thanks. Intermittent faults are the worst though, playing right now and sounds fine. Just got to wait.
Intermittent faults never show up when the repair man visits, so ask a repair man to move in and the fault will go away. :)

Is the preamp volume control working ok? A dodgy volume control can cause intermittent issues.

Also, see if you can hook up another source to see whether or not the problem is in the main preamp.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Took a while, but back came the fault in same speaker after changing I/C channel into pre amp. So pre is the one playing up. I recently changed the 6111 valves in this, might put the old ones back to check for dodgy valve.

Reactions: Sotosound

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Intermittent faults never show up when the repair man visits, so ask a repair man to move in and the fault will go away. :)

Is the preamp volume control working ok? A dodgy volume control can cause intermittent issues.

Also, see if you can hook up another source to see whether or not the problem is in the main preamp.
I’ll check for volume pot as well, presumably by changing volume whilst fault occurring.

Presumably, similar principles can be applied to the England team. Start by changing the forward line, if that doesn’t work , swap out the midfield and keep working backwards.

Ultimately, I think we all know that Southgate is the dodgy valve though!

Reactions: Linear and enrae8

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t think my brain has bothered to wake up today. I have taken out my troublesome Pre and going to an integrated amp.

I have a phono and a head amp. For the life of me I can’t remember what I plug the cart leads into first. MC cart to head amp to phono MM, isn’t it……??

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve been playing the system for the last hour - MC cart to MC phono to head amp to amp by the way!

A nagging ache from inside my head seems to think that isn’t right…

In fact I have just changed it round. Sounds better 😄

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online