Linn Owners

Hello from New Member

AbsoluteSoundGuy

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a test to see how this forum works - not intuitive at all for me.

I have an entire state of the art circa mid-90s Kairn/Aktiv/Klouts/PMS system fronted by a Cirkus/Ittok LP-12. I run a bluesound Node for streaming now and I am looking to move to an all-in-one streamer/dad/preamp, something like the Selekt. But the price is ridiculous, so I may be in the market for a second hand Akurate DSM. I will have many questions. What better group to ask? Thanks in advance. I will try to be helpful when I can.

My username is based on the Ann Arbor. MI Hifi store i worked at in college, and which is responsible for this entire sickness.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to the forum. I think most would here would agree that a second hand Akurate DSM may be the best choice in your situation. There should be plenty available due to the trade in promotion going on right now.

Reactions: Moomintroll

AbsoluteSoundGuy

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since you were kind enough to respond, I will hit you with the first question - how is the phono stage in the Akurate DSM? My cart is an Arkiv B - and it sounds great through the Karin phono section. Would ADSM be a signficant improvement? Better or the same as some of the older external stand alones like a Linto? Compared to a Uphorik or Urika?

Also, and i apologize for piling on here, but how is this forum orgainzed? I find it very difficult to navigate - Under Club Forum, there are a handful of Sub Forums, and threads in each Sub Forum relating to the associated subject matter. How would I find this thread? What subforum is it under? The structure of the forum completely eludes me at present.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to the Wam!

There are several sub forums within the Linn group/club. This post is in a random section that I see no purpose for that sits below the sub forum headings!

These are the main groups - circled.
C0292906-750C-4D26-BE81-78B46D5A095F.jpeg

The main forum is led by the 2 Channel sub group, but just have a poke around and you’ll soon get the hang of it. There are great sections on Music and the Classified ads, for example.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since you were kind enough to respond, I will hit you with the first question - how is the phono stage in the Akurate DSM? My cart is an Arkiv B - and it sounds great through the Karin phono section. Would ADSM be a signficant improvement? Better or the same as some of the older external stand alones like a Linto? Compared to a Uphorik or Urika?

Also, and i apologize for piling on here, but how is this forum orgainzed? I find it very difficult to navigate - Under Club Forum, there are a handful of Sub Forums, and threads in each Sub Forum relating to the associated subject matter. How would I find this thread? What subforum is it under? The structure of the forum completely eludes me at present.
I briefly used the MC phono stage in an Akurate Exakt DSM before I had the Urika II installed. It performed quite nicely. I had been using a Linto for decades prior. I haven't done a comparison myself, but some here have reported performance very close to that of the Linto. I did use the Kairn MC phono stage before the Linto. Of course the Linto was much better. So Akurate DSM MC phono should noticeably outperform it.

AbsoluteSoundGuy

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you for your response. Glad to hear someone with actual experience lay out a clear hierarchy. Even if it is one person's opinion, it is actionable information.

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In order to help you out with the second part of your query, someone here a while back suggested "watching" each sub-forum category in the Linn forum. Then you could select "What's new" and you will be presented a list of threads most recently updated within those watched. This is how I navigate the forum.

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Adsm phono stage is better than the kairn. The problem you will have is that the Adsm has no 12v trigger to activate or put the klout in standby.

The Adsm sounds more detailed than the kairn but the kairn has a warmer sound to it. Why not just add a majik DS or an akurate Da to the kairn as a dedicated streamer.

Also the Adsm has a DVC (digital volume control) like every other linn streamer/preamp and it sounds best in the katalyst version. You might or might not hear the difference though

Good luck.

Reactions: heimo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles